Sunday, October 19, 2008

weekend wine-finds!

i said i was just going into world market for a picture frame and some greeting cards... and then... oops! where did these 6 bottles of wine come from??

WM is my go-to place for inexpensive wine-finds - i could browse their selection for hours. and as we're still auditioning wines for the wedding, i always have a great excuse to buy a couple "samplers!"

here are my picks from today's trip:

possible reception red:

Avalon '06, California Cabernet Sauvignon

- this pick was a WM feature and i love how the label (a) has marigold font, and (b) seems to have a non-cheesy heart-like mottif. i just think it would be pretty displayed on the bar. it would also be perfect for someone with a traditional, fall wedding theme. hopefully it'll taste good too!


my holiday hostess gift of 2008:

Electric Reindeer, California Cabernet Sauvignon

- how cute are these bottles? and for only $5.99, you could add a cute ornament around the neck and pouf, you are the new favorite holiday party attendee! they also come in merlot, chardonnay, and white zinfandel.
- notice i've bought 3... who wants to throw a christmas party?


orange juice's new best friend

Barefoot's Chardonnay Champagne

- if you haven't discovered Barefoot wine already, sad times for you! Barefoot is a great little CA winery that turns out great wine for cheap! and their new chardonnay champagne is no different - Evs and i bought some for new year's and it was fabu for only $7.99 a bottle. now, its not the best bubbly you'll ever taste, but it does make one classy mimosa!

Cheers, friends!

5 comments:

  1. I definitely like the idea of wine gift sets, and for a change this Christmas time i'm thinking of buying everyone in my family a wine or champagne gift set. Can you advise on the best champagnes available for reasonable prices?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Avalon wines, I think their Cab Sauv is one of my favorites. I got a skunky bottle of it once which traumatized me a bit and slowed my consumption, but I shall hopefully recover soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wine and Champagne make great gifts! I can always help you out in the wine department, but my champagne knowledge leaves something to be desired. My go-to "expensive looking and tasting, but actually cheap" champagne is actually a Spanish Cava - Freixenet Cordon Negro Brut. It should only run about $15 a bottle and always gets excellent reviews.

    Moet is also a popular and recognizable choice - also tasty - going to be anywhere from $20 to $60 depending on what varietal you choose.

    Other than those 2 golden-standards, I'd recommend going to your local Spec's, Central Market or Whole Foods and asking for their opinion - those people know their booze!

    Good luck! And please share any finds you discover!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these wines - where did you find them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. World Market - my fav wine purchasing locale!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!