Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Kate's Holiday Gift Picks: Installment #1

before we dive right in, i'd like to note that all of these products are things that i either (a) own myself and adore, or (b) covet (or feel i would covet, in the instances of "for your main-men" and "for the bun-in-the-oven"). you will also notice that many of these things are monogrammable... while i love a good monogram, i advise against gifting multiple-monogrammed-items to the same recipient, 'lest you appear to have morphed into a sorority pledge from the deep south.

so without further adieu, i give you my holiday gift picks for...

...the chef extraordinaire:


(clockwise, from top left)

  • Adorable Aprons from Anthropologie... these are cute enough to motivate me - the-boxed-dinner-wonder-gal - to get my bum in the kitchen and whip up a souffle. {ranging from $28 to $38}

  • How to Cook Everything, by Mark Bittman... the lovely RJB introduced me to this little wonder after Santa brought it to her 2 Christmases ago. 10 years after its first publication, Mark Bittman provides 2,000 recipes (half of them new!) that employ simple techniques and fresh ingredients. indispensable for both pros and those who wish to be! {$24.50 at Barnes&Noble}

  • Emile Henry Artisan Ruffled Pie Pan... this sucker is totally on my registry list and probably the non-gadget-y item that i am most excited about receiving! so excited in fact, that i purchased one for the Monitor for her birthday this year - she said her Thanksgiving pies have never been so pretty - your crusts will be perfectly squiggly - and just holding it reminds you of some sunny, airy kitchen in Tuscany. {$44 at William-Sonoma}

  • Silicone Zone Kitchenzone Cutting Boards... cute and practical - these silicone cutting boards are color-coded to prevent cross-contamination of meat, chicken, fish, and veggies. perfect for your favorite germaphobe cook! {set of 4 - $14.99 at Bed, Bath, & Beyond}

  • Melamine Mixing Bowls... lightweight, nonslip, with a handle and contoured lip for an easy pour. the pretty red color adds some holiday cheer without overdoing it on the ho, ho, ho. {set of 4 - $38 at William-Sonoma}

  • Perfect Memory Shakers... obviously i had to include these elefantitas! these little guys will add some whimsy to your table top or stove - a perfect little chef-stocking-stuffer! {$12 at Anthropologie}


... the wobbly wine-o:

  • Waring Pro Single-Bottle Wine Chiller... also a registry favorite - this little device chills (or warms) any bottle of red, white or bubbly to its optimal serving temperature. Pop in the bottle, scroll through the 33 available varietals, and wait for the beep to tell you its time to pop to cork! also maintains the temperature while you enjoy. {$99.95 at William-Sonoma}

  • Monogrammed Chrome Wine Stopper/Pourer... keeps your wine fresh and, with its lid removed, acts as a no-drip pourer! {$15 at William-Sonoma}

  • Anything but Chardonnay: A Guide to the Other Grapes... join the other budding oenophiles who are discovering that there's a whole wide wonderful world of wine beyond the mundane old standby... i won't take credit for that little ditty - i ganked it off B&N, but its a spot-on description of this great little book. {$19.95}

  • Monogrammed Glass Wine Cooler... great as an entertainment piece - for wine-chilling or as an ice-bucket. {$69 at William-Sonoma}

  • Stemless Wine Glasses... i suggested these as a gift for my new work-be-fry's new boy and i hope they go over well! i know i like them (as, once again, they're under my name and wedding date at Pottery Barn) and (once again) they are monogrammable! {set of 6 - $42}

i hope you enjoyed Installment #1... and maybe even found something special to please someone on your list! tune in tomorrow night for the favorite gals in your life:

  • "for the fabulous friend, sassy sister, and marvelous mom"
  • "for the bun-in-the-oven"

12 comments:

  1. Kate, your posts always make me smile. =) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want everything from the cooks gift. I seriously want it all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the stemless wine glasses...

    I might just look for some here in the UK!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I need to go register for more stuff now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok. motivated to start our registries. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love the aprons!
    and when i saw the book, i was like ooooo oooo I have that - thanks for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Must. have. everything. Anthro always has the cutest stuff. Those aprons and shakers are just so cute!!! I asked my stepmumz for some dessert plates from Anthro, so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am embarassed to say, I got the same one as you, please don't hate me for being a totally unoriginal copycat, immitation is the highest form of flattery and I have zero sense of style so I am forced to leech it off of other people. Thank God I found your blog :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Should we start a "Wobbly Wine-O" club, perhaps? Just the thought of the phrase makes me smile.

    I'd actually been searching for a set of stemless wine glasses for a Christmas gift, so thanks for posting that. They are an essential element of any true wino's drinkware.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tagged you on my blog! Check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the gifts installments!

    PS...maybe you should come visit your dear old friend Millytini and we can have a blogger meet up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. such a cute post! just found your blog!

    Love the Anthropologie aprons!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!