Monday, July 20, 2009

crafty!

just like i thought... a mighty fine, nice little weekend! first off, a project! the spaces over our mantle and over the big, brown couch in our living room have been sorely needing some filling out and sprucing up, but we've been having trouble (a) agreeing on a piece of art that is (b) within our price range. so i took matters into my own hands!

the first series is comprised of three 11x14 photographs taken on our trip to Greece. {i was hoping they would fit the bill over the couch but they just didn't fill up the space like i wanted, so it was off to the hallway for them! i kind of prefer it this way because i can see them when i'm piddling around in the kitchen and they make me a happy chickadee!} an 11x14 print from Shutterfly is only $7.99 - add some $9 glass and pegboard frames and precut $5 mats and viola!


for the mantle space, i blew up a photo of the cieling of la Casa de las Bellas Artes in Sevilla, Spain to 16x20 size ($17.99). i was hoping to find a precut mat with a 16x20 opening at Michaels but, sadly, no dice. so i settled on a 16x20 black wooden frame. as i feared, the frame looked a little measley so instead of hanging it, i layered our newly arrived "Live What You Love" letterpressed print (framed in a pre-matted $24 frame) over it. the duo filled the area between two framed engagement photos, our stack of reading for our England trip, and an old-timey-looking clock from Pottery Barn.

in the words of Evs - "it looks all artsey and thrown-together... but... like you planned it that way!"

just the look i was going for!

total price tag? around $200 - including 5 frames and 4 pre-cut mats, purchased at Michaels; 4 oversized photos, blown up by Shutterfly; and the print, by etsy seller Hijirk. pretty sweet deal when you consider the fact that one quality piece would have cost us at least that much! pretty pleased with myself - toot, toot (that's my own horn)!

and ooooooo lookie! pretty shiney citron le creuset 5 quart oval casserole and tea kettle! wowie! so pumped. i was like a kid in a candy store with all my merchandize credit at Williams-Sonoma! and i have $75 left over and $200 at Pottery Barn - love, love, love this wedding gift exchange stuff!


as for the rest of the weekend, it was Curb Your Enthusiasm marathons, 3 Day training, and a fun jaunt to Arlington to see the Rangers play (lose, but eh, i got some peanuts!).

all geared up for my short workweek and ELT's wedding in ATL!!!

24 comments:

  1. Oh yay! Can't wait to see you this weekend and can't wait to see all the fun crafty projects you have been doing when we come to stay in just a few short weeks! LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE all of your crafty work this weekend! It looks wonderful, and I love how you did it all on a low budget. That's my kind of weekend project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks beautiful! I love the Greece photos, they are amazing. And I love that ceiling photo. We have a gallery wall with our travel photos like these, it's so fun to see all those photos and think back to our travels. Happy!

    cozystyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You all have taken some amazing photos on your vacays! I love those green bowls against the yellow. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peanuts make any sporting event better! I love Curb too - he always get himself into the funniest situations. Sounds like a good weekend. Have an even better week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have all the pictures loaded on Shutterfly, I just haven't edited and printed any off since last May. I need to get on that. I LOVE Le Creuset. I hadn't seen the citron color. I like those green balls too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the Greece pictures-- beautiful. I am such a commitment phobe about hanging things, dang plaster walls... I am also obsessed with your new Le Creuset additions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love arts and crafts!!! It all looks awesome! Nice job :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crafty, for sure!! LOVE all the finished products of your weekend projects. Everything looks wonderful, and you should be very proud of yourself accomplishing so much on such a low budget!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE this crafty project!! I'm always trying to think of new ways to showcase traveling photos. I'm going to have to try this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. All of the crafts look great! I especially love the ones on the mantle. Williams Sonoma is my favorite - can't ever decide what my colors of Le Creuset I like the best.

    ReplyDelete
  12. you should look into adoramapix.com for your prints - i blew up a ton of my wedding and vacation prints and they turned out amazing. :)

    L-O-V-E how your decorating turned out... will you do my house next?

    ReplyDelete
  13. The photos look great! We just added Curb Your Enthusiasm to our Netflix line-up. Pretty funny so far!

    ReplyDelete
  14. it looks great! i love that 11x14 photo size. i'm thinking i need to customize an order and get some photos in that size.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow check you out! I love DIY projects... Its always the little personal touches that make a house a home.

    BTW Cassie, the Shiba Inu on my blog, is my friend's new dog. I say she's the newest member of the pack because we plan to have regular visits with her and our unruly 4 pack.

    So far, Cassie seems to be adjusting well with her new parents , all her new Aunties and Uncles and her furry cousins. I'll let you know the progress... :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a fabulously productive and fun weekend. I loooooove your prints from Greece. I'm practically salivating here!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow Mrs. Productive! It looks great! We're in decision time with what to do above the two beds in our house- our and the guest room. I really like how you blew up your Greece pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  18. One of these days, I will do the same. Maybe. I've only been planning it for two years.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your mantle looks awesome, and I am soo jealous of your Le Creuset - it is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooh, you went with yellow! Pretty pretty pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks awesome - you did a great job! This just might motivate me to get my pics up on our hallway wall now (maybe).

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so jealous of your casserole. I feel like my life won't be complete without one of my own (haha!).

    Your artwork looks great, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  23. i'm a le creuset dijon girl myself. love those pieces!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!