Tuesday, July 7, 2009

in my gallery*

like so many friends and decor freaks before me, i have decided to embark on what is sure to be the bane of my decorating existence: the gallery wall.

being somewhat of a photography whore, i've forever loved having my favorite images clustered around me. my grandmother's hallway is filled with clusters of photographs - some taken over half a century ago. as a little girl, i always relished the opportunity to walk the hall, peaking into the past - my mom and aunts as girls, my grandparents as newlyweds, family reunions, Easter egg hunts, both of my parents with long hippie hair, weekends at the lake spent on yellow wooden water skis. and as i (slowly but surely) wade through our wedding photographs, i have a very clear vision of starting our own little family history.

ideally, i'd like to mix personal photographs with art prints and maybe a smattering of my own paintings - making for somewhat of a more ecclectic mix... some inspiration:







just this week i purchased this letterpress print (off etsy, duh) - it will be the first official piece in the gallery that i hope to create in our entry area. our hallway is very narrow and i fear that a gallery wouldn't be visually appreciated in such a tight space. we think our entry used to be a screened side porch, which explains its odd shape. its a great space but there's not much physical use for it. i think a gallery will really liven it up and create a nice focal point to greet guests as they enter our little cottage.


i think i'll also add a mini-version to one of the blank walls in our bedroom - its a bit bare right now.

how do you display your favorite images? and, more importantly, if you have a gallery, did hanging all those frames spur threats of divorce between you and your spouse? (kidding... kind of)

* did anyone get the Mario Vasquez shout-out or am i the only one that freakin' loves that song?

18 comments:

  1. Me and the Beau are constantly buying cheapo odd frames a thrift stores. After months of letting them collect dust we finally got around to spraying them black. Selecting pictures and then hanging them is the only thing between us and a gallery wall. Good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I am always battling with how to display pictures- you must post your finished product when you are done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always find the best etsy stuff!

    My fave pics are displayed on a gallery type wall... all with red mats, black frames, and in black and white. It's one of my favorite walls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a staircase that's begging for a 'gallery of pix' -- I love gallery #1 and #3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the clustering of photographs. We have a semi-long hallway where I intend to hang some of my favorite amateur photography shots and then in our front living room I bought something from Uppercase Living that says, "family" and then bought red and white vintage frames and am in the process of choosing the perfect mix of old and new photographs to surround the "family" decal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since we're still in an apartment while were looking for a house, I've only been collecting inspirational images for what I'd what my walls to look like and I LOVE the pictures you've collected. My parents have a very eclectic style, and their library has three walls covered floor to ceiling with pictures, as well as all the walls next to the staircases. It has always been my dream to cover my walls like this with family memories and creative little pieces but I have a feeling it will be a BIG issue when we find a house because my fiance is not a big fan of having pictures all over the wall { he'll chance his mind, he just doesn't know it yet! } . Have fun putting yours together! I can't wait to see the finished product!
    { and no, you're not the only one who loves that song haha }

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love gallery walls! I have been eyeing pieces for a while that I think are lovely! Now I just need my condo to be finished!

    ReplyDelete
  8. gallery walls are so fun in a house. i just finished picking out all the wedding photos and am waiting for them to be delivered. I want to mix it up...PB has great frames and frame enhancers that make you able to stack your pics..somewhat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ha- totally got that song reference!-- but whatever happened to that guy?! after quitting idol and releasing that song, he seems to have faded into oblivion?...

    i have two galleries in my house a la pottery barn (black frames/white mats). love them- they were so fun to create! luckily my husband is a genius when it comes to a level, a hammer, and nails, and he hung them all with only minimal complaints. can't wait to see how yours turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We do not have gallery wall, but I have been dreaming of one. These pictures are so pretty and inspiring. I like the piece you are starting with from etsy. Keep us posted with updates!

    ReplyDelete
  11. currently the wall lining my stairs has half-empty frames. i also wanted to fill them with fun prints for etsy...i've just been too lazy to buy them haha. you have given me some new found motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the idea of a gallery wall! Although, I don't think my marriage could survive it. We barely make it through hanging up curtains! haha! {seriously}

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been mentally working on this for 2 years.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Immediately got the song reference as I am also in loove with it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. my hallway has a halfway done gallery, meaning i've bought frames that have caught my eye and they are hanging, they're just still empty. i should really do something about that...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been searching Etsy for just the right thing for my dining room. My taste is so eclectic, I know I will eventually find something on Etsy because it is so divers. Art is so fun. Great post1

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Etsy, how I love you so. I love all of the gallery walls you've posted, and thanks for the great inspirational ideas. Husband and I have a heckuva lot of work to do to our humble abode, and I need all the help I can get.

    UGH.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the gallery wall. Eric and I have our travel photos done that way - it's such a fun way to see the places we've been. I love the idea of mixing artwork in with photos too - can't wait to see it when you're done!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!