Wednesday, August 12, 2009

current catalog - banana republic: "eh" to "ooo!"

me and banana used to be be-fri: i easily moved my way up from regular old card holder to Luxe Member Status in about 6 mo. in law school; my FedEx man could always count on bringing me several (or twelve, but whose counting?) pretty BR packages per month, and a week didn't go by that i didn't scour the website for new wardrobe additions.

but lately, its been pretty slim pickin's over at the Republic of Phallic Yellow Fruit. its like they're really trying - like really, really, really hard - but not quite hitting the mark.

case in point:


three words for you: beetle juice, beetle juice, beetle juice.

(which, yeah, is like 6 words but whatevs - +1 for clever 90s movie comparison)

exhibit b:

we were so close with the pretty silk and the dainty ruffle - so close!... and then we carried the ruffle down in an asymetrical-why-does-this-adornment-make-me-look-like-i'm-lactating hot-mess.


ahhh here's something i would swipe the Luxe plastic for but what's up with the color options? let's see... we have white... and then... white. where's the peacock blues and the emerald greens and the poppy reds of yesteryear? how am i ever to be obnoxiously loud in the workplace if all you give me are pretty ruffles in blah-white?

gladly, BR does seem to be redeemng itself in the jewelry category - cheaper than J.Crew and just as pretty, i'll bet my bottom dollar that several of these beauties will be seen around my neck/wrist/finger this fall.

loving these gold tassel pieces! {shout out to Jacq and Lydz: "one boobie tassel? classy! two boobie tassels? now that's just trashy!"}



ahhhh another oversized and overly-girly cocktail ring to mystify my male coworkers! that's the spirit!

and now for my two favorites:


apparently BR is set to release a line of Mad Men-inspired menswear {NY Times article here}... mmmm Don Draper delish! how's about serving up a bit of Joan Holloway for us ladies? i might just go bananas for that!

whose catalog do you have your eye on for fall?

19 comments:

  1. don't hate me, but i'm not a fan of the BR coiled bib necklace...it just looks far to large to me and it looks like it has little eyes on it...

    still friends?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha. Phallic yellow fruit. Love.

    BR has had slim pickings for awhile now. I can't get excited about any of it. So disappointing. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and whose catalog do I have my eye on? Nanette Lepore. Always.

    I was just looking at the new fall arrivals for NL at Bloomies and LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been disappointed for a while too. They do have a few cardigans that I like online. I need to go investigate at the store.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wanted to leave you a comment and let you know how much I enjoy your blog! I just started reading and it is so entertaining. I just started a blog of my own, you should check it out!

    Also, I love the bow ring. I have been wearing a large seashell cocktail ring all summer and I have been looking for a more fall/winter version to start wearing/confusing my male coworkers with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yeah, BR is disappointing. I remember in college it used to be the "cool" store to get things from. Now I'm lucky if I make it in there once a year because I'm always disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the bow ring!

    During Gap's damn Give & Get promotion I went into BR and I was really disappointed with the fit of some of the new dresses. The sizing is consistent, but it is much smaller than before (and no, it isn't just me thankyouverymuch...while I was in the fitting room a few other ladies remarked the same thing)!

    Maybe 2 Gap brands can't do something right at the same time and since Gap is doing better, BR has to suffer???

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol @ the Beatle Juice reference! So funny.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are hilarious .... I love love love BR - but have not indulged too much there lately. I am looking forward to the Mad Men inspired clothing .. hoping they hook up the ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that brooch cluster necklace... seeing them EVERYWHERE this late summer/early fall- Target, BR, JCrew, Kohls, Forever, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like that bib necklace too, but I know I'd never put it to use.

    ReplyDelete
  12. FYI - something BIG is happening at Sunshinemeg tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love how that striped top was compared to Beetle Juice! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the Beatlejuice comp, mainly because I was just making a comp with that movie the other day (narcissistic much?). Great minds. I miss my jewel tones too. At least they have pretty adornments for us.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tell me all about it! I ordered a bunch of stuff on a whim while they were doing their 30% off promotion a couple weeks ago. Every single thing I ordered has been sent back. So disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is so true about their jewelry...way less expensive than J Crew but equally fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I find BR much better in person than online; kind of the opposite of J Crew for me. The "Mad Men" inspired collection is already in stores, by the way; tons of gorgeous shift dresses in right now.

    Love that last bib necklace; adding it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am drooling over Boden for the fall/winter! I don't think enough people know about Boden since it's a UK Company. Their clothes are beautifully made and are of extremely high quality. You should check it out! Bodenusa.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Too funny. That BR bib was in my post on Wed. too. Isn't it so gorg?

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!