Thursday, August 20, 2009

What's in Kate's...

...Fundraising Letter!!!

do you feel totally dupped, lovely readers?

in all honesty, i was going to do "What's in Kate's Fridge" but then i spent last night doing a little walking, watching a little Top Chef Premier,** and penning a whole lotta "please gimme money" letter. and since my committment to 60 miles in 3 days was born out of events on this here lil' ol' bloggie (and, let's face it, fundraising is nothing without shameless self-promotion), i thought i'd share my letter with all of you.

so here she is... hang on to your hats for a hum-dinger of an extended metaphor...

Dear Family & Friends,

As the old song I used to sing every summer at Laity Lodge Youth Camp goes:

“It only takes a spark to get a fire burning.”

Beginning on November 6th, 2009, I will walk 60 miles over the course of three days with thousands of other women (and very brave men in pink!) in an effort to end breast cancer. The net proceeds from this event – the Breast Cancer 3-Day – support breast cancer research, education, screening, and treatment through the Susan G. Komen for the Cure and the National Philanthropic Trust Breast Cancer Fund.

While this is a challenge that I am 100% committed to and passionate about tackling… how the heck did this come to pass? Me?! Training to walk the equivalent of almost two and a half marathons?!

My spark began in the strangest of places. As some of you may know, I’ve been spending quite a lot of time exploring the blogging world – an experience that I could not be more thrilled about. Of course putting your thoughts and opinions out into the wide world of the interwebs requires somewhat of a willingness to receive the same from others in return – a concept that is both enriching and unnerving at the same time. For the most part, I have found nothing but a community of creative, intelligent, funny, and encouraging women (and very brave blogging men!). But one negative comment in mid-April of this year sparked a flame in my little safe corner of the universe – a comment that made me mad, made me think, and finally, made me thankful...

Thankful for how much I’ve grown as a person in the last 10 years – and thankful that I’ve had the opportunity to do so. Thankful for the people who never gave up on me; thankful for the people that stood by me through periods of superb crap. Thankful that I’ve been blessed with family that supports my decisions and loves me unconditionally; thankful for my ridiculously talented, accomplished, and gorgeously unique friends that fill my life with nothing but positive energy.

And so, twelve days later, I heard a radio ad for the Breast Cancer 3-Day and, buoyed by that lingering icky-turned-warm-fuzzy feeling, I signed up. Not because someone close to me has lost a battle with cancer, but because someone I don’t even know made me thankful I’ve never had to endure that loss. And I’d like to keep it that way.

So here I am – walking long training routes four months later… in August… in Texas… on the weekends and after work. I’ve committed to raise $2,300.00 in donations and I’m going to need some stellar support to keep the fire going (boy, do I love a metaphor or what?). Hence, this email, asking you to please consider donating whatever (tax deductible – woo hoo!) amount you can. You can read more about the “3-Day Experience” by visiting www.The3Day.org and donate to my personal fundraising webpage by following the link posted below. You can also call 800.996.3DAY to donate over the phone. Or (endless options!), if you’re a Elefantitas Alegres reader, you can donate by clicking on the 3 Day Walker button on my blog.

I hope you’ll share this exercise in thanksgiving with me and take a bold step in the fight against breast cancer for us all (I’ll be taking roughly 120,000 of them!).

Thank you in advance for your generosity and support!

Cheers to you,

~ Kate Xxxxxx


and cheers to all of you, chickadees!

**wtf is UP with all these lip-piercings and humongo tattoos and the gawd-awful huge earlobe stretching on Top Chef Vegas??? i'm all for personal style but that shit just looks unhygienic! talk about the antithesis of adorably put-together itty-bitty Wolfgang Puck!


16 comments:

  1. That's so amazing! I have another friend doing this walk in Dallas, too! It is really an extraordinary commitment on your part - you go girl!! And now I am considering doing the 2010 one in DC, since we will have moved there by then... you'll have to let me know how your experience goes.

    Yay Kate, yay boobs, boo cancer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an amazing event!Good luck with the fundraising and the walking! {cute fundraising letter.}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the fund raising!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck fundraising!

    Ugh, I couldn't even watch last night because the piercings and spacers were grossing me out. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Top Chef Shout Out! My Mom, Brad and I watched last night. I agree that there are a lot of freaks on but I adore Wolfgang Puck. He was hysterical. I wish he was a regular judge on the show. I loved his comment about babyfood with steak. And how he told one girl if she cooked her meal for her friends they would never come back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck! What a great event. Very cool you are doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck Kate! What you're doing is amazing and I'm so excited to follow your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so agree with you about Top Chef. Even my bf asked, why so many tattoos :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck! You will rock it! I think you did a fabulous job on the letter. Gotta check my bank account so I can donate a little.

    I missed Top Chef last. I have to wait for the 700 reruns that will air to check out the tats and rings.

    I thought of you today when I saw this: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=29219259

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully put! You know T and I will throw some loot your way!

    Also, one of my favorite things about you is the continued "floppy boobs" references. That commenter simply had no idea what she/he was beginning. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where did you go to camp? We sang that same song at my camp! Haha, I guess its pretty common thought.

    Good luck with your fundraising. That is so awesome you've found something to get behind and work towards. There are so many great organizations out there and Susan G. Komen is certainly one of them.

    Keep us updated on your progress!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i think this is great...but i still want to see "What's in Kate's Fridge!"

    tell Marc i say hi. i officially have a crush on him.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Props to you for doing the 3 day!

    I'm doing the Walk to Defeat ALS in Fort Worth, and I'm totally jealous of your 3 Day Walker button on your blog. How did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can only imagine this has to do with the "floppy boob" incident.. Maybe that girl will donate some money. That would be cool, albeit very doubtful =)

    In any case, I think it's awesome what you are doing. Keep us updated with how the fundraising goes. I'd love to help a bit =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's so incredible!! I'm very impressed with your fundraising (and letter)!!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!