Thursday, August 6, 2009

tribute

when i was 10, i wanted to marry Jake Ryan.


when i was 15, i had the crappiest wisdom teeth removal surgery of all time. i won't go into the gory details, but i was sick as a dog for an entire week. during that week, i watched Sixteen Candles 27 times.


and i still wanted to marry Jake Ryan.


while the Brat Pack wasn't technically "my generation," i grew up watching John Hughes movies, and i still have all of my worn-out VHS copies, even though they've long been replaced by DVDs. they are included in that category of certain childhood momentos that you just wouldn't feel right about throwing out.


"back then" i couldn't wait to get to high school, just so i could skip it...


... or get detention. (or sing at a polka festival?)

it all seemed like such fun.

of course the brilliance of all my old favs was the underlying message: everyone can be cool - the nerd, the jock, the rebel, the awkward girl. nothing we hadn't all heard before during the "just be yourself" school assemblies and after-school specials, but John Hughes presented the concept by way of flawed characters and not-too-too-perfectly-wrapped-up endings.

because at the end of the day, your parents might forget your birthday and a nerd might sell the rights to your granny panties and that creepy woman from Poltergeist might play piano at your pharmaceutically-challenged sister's wedding. that's just life: blemished and often unfair. but then again, Jake Ryan might bring you a pink cake and kiss you on top of a piano, even though you're wearing the most heinous dress ever designed for a red-head. because sometimes, that's life too: small moments of perfection.

for the memories and the lessons: thank you, John Hughes.

16 comments:

  1. Amen. I adored Hughes and all his movies. Pretty in Pink is my ALL TIME favorite movie, I'm pretty sure I can quote every single word of it. I watched Weird Science with my lil brother all the time, we were pretty certain we could create a person to do all our chores... unfortunately that never happend. RIP Mr. Hughes... Shermer, IL will forever be in our hearts... as the magical make believe town (aka Northbrook) in the burbs of Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tribute! I still get a little choked up at The Breakfast Club, and movies hardly ever make me cry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sigh...i miss him already. just watched some kind of wonderful and am now watching the breakfast club.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said, well said. I am planning a 3-day weekend full of John Hughes movies. Even though I was a little too young for them the first time around, I did grow up with them...though my crush was on Ferris Bueller, and Jake Ryan was a close second. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still have a big ole crush on Jake Ryan!! God bless that Mr. Hughes!
    Great post.. one of my favs

    ReplyDelete
  6. I grew up with these movies too. And I was completely in love with Jake Ryan. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. so so sad. ferris bueller and home alone are my all time family favorites. so sad. and yes... jake ryan was my future hubby. next to lloyd dobler... but that's for the cameron crowe tribute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmm. I loved me some Jake Ryan. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still have them all on VHS, and I can't seem to give them up just yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amen!! And I still have old VHS tapes and insist that we keep our VCR just for those old movies....

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sad. They don't make movies like they used to.

    ReplyDelete
  12. And he wrote the all-time best Christmas movie ever in the whole world -- Christmas Vacation! If he only did that and Breakfast Club he would have been a genius. Missing your snide sense of humor John Hughes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always found myself doubting Saturday morning detention could ever be that cool- or life changing for that matter.

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!