Tuesday, September 29, 2009

weighty issues (lame, serious post)

i was going to write this whole post about my relationship with food and exercise and my weight as a preface to cluing ya'll in on my latest fitness endeavor, but then that shit just sounded whinny and very "feel bad for me!  look at me!  tell me i'm pretty!"

so i axed it.  because, while i can be an attention whore, i personally feel like eating issues are overplayed in my life.  here's your only context clue:  in the past decade, my weight has spanned from 112 pounds to 189 pounds. for a 5'9'' woman, neither of those numbers are healthy.

i now find myself somewhere in between those two numbers.  my current weight is not unhealthy for my frame but i am not happy with how i look and how my clothes are fitting.  i have definitely experienced what other newlywed bloggers have dubbed "the happy fat" - weight gain after the wedding.  ideally, i'd love to be the size i was when i graduated law school, but seeing as i achieved that weight (inadvertently) by stressing out so much over the Bar Exam and my last two quarters of law school - i.e.: loss of appetite, nausea from nervousness, overloading on caffeine, etc. - i am not sure if that is a happily maintainable weight.  thus, my current goal is my wedding weight - around 7-10 lbs more than my graduation weight.

i've realized i was gaining post-wedding weight for a while.  however, because of my past feelings about eating, i was hesitant to start "dieting" until i found a program that felt right to me.  i've had wonderful successes on Weight Watchers before and would recommend it to anyone.  however, i tend to eat the same things over and over on WW, and i find that i'm leaving out many important food groups, minerals, vitamins, etc - things that my body needs to function at maximum capacity (= maximum fat and calorie burn).  i'm also always wary of meal plans that, for whatever reason, cause me to focus on restrictive eating.  personally for me, that is not a healthy way of thinking and i usually end up regressing to some old, naughty habits.

enter: Fitness Together (which has an incredibly cheesy motto that i shall not repeat here).  i stumbled upon the teeny studio because it is right next to Zoe's - one of our go-to take-out restaurants about 2 blocks from our house.  the idea is one-on-one training sessions (no one else in the studio), along with individual cardio planning, and meal planning - all tailored specifically to your goals and the state of your body when you start.  there is an evaluation session when you first begin: stress test, body fat, measurements, flexibility, stamina, and strength tests, etc.  then you are reevaluated every 8 weeks.  its a bit intense but i am absolutely loving it!  well, okay, the caliper part was not fun, but nothing gets my rear in gear faster than finding out what % of my body is made of icky, icky fat.

my very favorite part of this entire shenanigan is the meal planner "report card."  you start out your day with all Fs and as you enter your food, your "grades" change... the goal being to get all As!  it even gives you a little GPA average for the week!  this is like the ultimate Sticker Chart for adults... and i freakin' loved a Sticker Chart as a kid.  what i really love is that Vitabot (that's the program) doesn't just take into account fat and calories, etc - it measures: calories, carbs, protien, fat, sodium, cholesterol, saturated fat, fiber, omega 3, omega 6, Vitamins B1, B2, B3, B6, B9, B12, C, E, potassium, magnesium, calcium, iron, copper, zinc, phosphorus, and selenium.  you can enter and save recipes, save your favorite foods by category, and it even gives you suggestions for snacks and meals by taking into account what you've already eaten and what you still need to "ace" your report card for the day.

i'm in week 2 of the workouts and just started with the food tracking yesterday, but i'm already feeling great about my ability to be aware of what i'm putting in my mouth while having the freedom to truly enjoy and experience cooking and eating.

apologies for the boring diet and health diatribe but the accountability factor is super helpful to me, so i will be doing weekly updates on my progress... SO GET USED TO IT, PEEPS!  kidding.  big smile!


30 comments:

  1. I have been curious about FT for a while- I've seen them around but never known that it was a comprehensive concept. The "sticker chart" sounds amazing and like something I would LOVE. Keep it up and I can't wait to hear more progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay- I love progress reports. Reading about other people helps motivate me. I have gained the damn happy fat as well. I got married at the end of May- 10 lbs and I'm barely 5'4"! Not a fan of this happy fat business.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great plan for you! I love the report card concept!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I applaud your efforts & your honesty! I would love to do something like that. I need to get my eating habits reigned in. Now that I'm running more, I tend to eat more (duh) but I am not eating healthily. Best of luck to both of us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. good for you! imagine having the same weight span and being 5'3" (like me!)
    keep it up. i'm on ww now and i'd love to continue reading about your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep it up! I have similar weight struggles so I know how challenging it can be!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm dying to join a FT. One of my friends owns a FT on the East Coast and I'm constantly asking her to open one closer to me. Keep us updated with your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing about FT. I just found one close to my house. I am eager to try it out. Like you, I have similar weight issues. I'm 5'9" as well and have really been up and down in my weight. Can't wait to hear about your progress! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for sharing. i need motivation to get my ass out and exercise. i always come up with excuses. like you, i am hesitant when it comes to "dieting." i was bulimic for four years and i have just always had an unhealthy relationship with food. i guess i'm just afraid that if i put too much thought/energy into thinking about what i'm eating or my weight that i will end up in a bad place again. sounds like you have found a great and healthy plan!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it's wonderful that you are doing this and the program sounds really neat! I'm wishing you lots of luck with your journey. I have also put on weight after our wedding and am trying to work up the motivation to stay with it. You're weekly posts will definitely be an inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. FT sounds great. I hope you find something that works for you, and I totally understand how you feel about not wanting to be restrictve, but not liking the way your clothes fit... in the past 4 years I've gained 8-10 lbs, and that is not a good ratio 2-3 pounds a year leaves me with 20-30 pounds a decade! Yikes! Time for me to get that shit under control... and I'm using our vacation in Mexico as motivation... keep us updated it's nice to know we're not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not a lame post at all! We all struggle with this (or at least most of us). I have struggled with weight my whole life but never to the point of depression after I got married. I am a # 1 example of someone who gained happy fat. Thanks to the plan I chose, its coming off! Stick to it and you will be fine!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds really cool! You're always beautiful, happy weight or not!!! can't wait for next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a really cool way of looking at food. I hate diets because they are restrictive and people don't stay on them forever. If you want to maintain, you just have to change your eating habits. This sounds like a really healthy plan!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lady, that's awesome!! I had success on WW, but, like you ate the same things all the time and it got kind of restrictive (for me) when I started training for a marathon. Of course, that has now backfired, causing me to gain back about 8 lbs--and after buying a skirt online the other night and giddily trying it on yesterday, I realized that yes, indeedy, I have gained the weight back. I'm excited to hear your progress as I need some motivation myself!

    Yay for you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That sounds like a great place and a great program! I love that it is all one on one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is exciting and of course I want to know your progress. My weight is like the same for me too. I have ranged from 107 to 160 and I'm 5'7. both are crazy numbers. Glad you are feeling good and doing it for yourself! Next time I'm in texas we'll ride bikes through a piglet farm to celebrate. ha ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's awesome, girl! I can't wait to see how this goes for you. Please keep us posted on your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is awesome. Is it national? I would love something like this. How expensive? Can I ask that. During recent post categorization, I created an "innapropriate eating" category that is currently in the running for top blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! This sounds like a very comprehensive program that covers pretty much everything--much more than other programs I am aware of. Great that you have found something that you like and is such a good fit for you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This isn't lame or boring, lady- I know I've definitely been there myself with weight issues (weighing too little and also weighing too much) and so I understand. It's tough. And nuts. And I think unfortunately, every woman alive has struggled with it.

    Food is such a tough thing- I'm definitely "addicted" to eating bad food to make myself feel better...but unlike an alcohol addiction or drug addiction, we need food to survive! We can't go cold turkey on it- and so we all struggle to have a healthy relationship with it...but man, somedays it really is a struggle, isn't it.

    I'm glad to hear you like this new program! But you're seriously insanely gorgeous no matter what, just remember that. Okay? Okay. :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. love you friend. i have so been there (and sometimes still am). it's a hard, but rewarding road!!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  23. I know exactly how you feel, I'm still trying to sort out my weight issues. Proud of you! Keep us posted on FT, sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good luck with this! Weight is a constant issue with me as well and I know how frustrating it is to try and maintain. You'll do great. Keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What's your goal weight and what do you think is a healthy weight/size for you? I can't imagine someone of your height ever being 112 -- that seems far too skinny to be healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  26. hi,
    exercise is good for everyone and i am sure it will work for u.

    ReplyDelete
  27. hi,
    Similar interests, mutual respect and strong attachment with each other are what friends share between each other. These are just the general traits of a friendship.
    To experience what is friendship, one must have true friends, who are indeed rare treasure.

    I have added you to my blogroll, hope you can do the same thing for me so that we can have constant communication.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Accountability is the biggest thing when it come to weight loss. I am on the same road you are on too. Damn newly wed weight gain!!! :). Can't wait to be motivated by your success!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Like so many others said - not lame at all! I too have become a victim of newly-wed weight gain...and it seems like even though it's not a ton as far as lbs go, I've gotten 'soft' from lack of exercise! Can't wait to hear about your progress!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!