Wednesday, October 14, 2009

unfinished thoughts

  • Evs is obsessed with Sequoias. yes, the really big trees.  first we saw some (smaller... relatively) ones in Napa, then there was the National Parks Documentary, and now the man is trying to find a way to make them grow in Texas.  the weather here has been atrocious for the last 2 weeks: cold (well, that part is awesome = tights!), grey, rainy, no sun, foggy.  seriously, if any of Stephanie Meyers' vampires are looking for a vacay, Dallas, Texas might just trump Forks, WA as the most dreary place on earth at the moment. anyhoo, this morning we woke up with more of the same in the forecast.  instead of melodramatically bemoaning the color of the sky, Evs exclaimed "look at all this fog!  we could totally grow us some Sequoias in this weather!" 
  • why hasn't anyone thought to make a Choose Your Own Adventure TV show?  remember those books? want to fight the dragon on the drawbridge instead of swimming the croc-invested moat?  turn to page 138!  so with television, you just have viewers call in every week to determine the plotline... want to see actual character development instead of another patient with a 400 pound tumor?  press #1!  want to see Meredith stop being such a wishy-washy whiny twit?  press #2!  want the producers of Grey's Anatomy to realize that this is not ER and quit while their ahead (which would have been two seasons ago when i stopped watching, btw)?  press #3! 
  • latest pet peeve: lady-doctors asking about pregnancy timelines... they always feign casual interest but really you know they are making mental notes about when the cash cow is coming home... putting in the quality time in anticipation of that hen eventually laying the golden egg.  or some fucked up metaphor like that.  what is up with that?  i don't go around asking my friends if they've done anything lately that might, perhaps, maybe, get them sued.  let's live in the now, please. 

22 comments:

  1. Favorite line of this whole post: "i don't go around asking my friends if they've done anything lately that might, perhaps, maybe, get them sued." HAHAHA hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey now love, we are required to ask you such personal questions especially if you are taking various medications so you dont end up with a cyclops baby. love you! (no worries, i am not going to take this as an insult as i know i am your fav female doctor
    :-) )

    ReplyDelete
  3. why does it still label me as the India thing, can I close that blog or something? Dear blog expert, please help the computer stupid. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes to the tv idea!
    No to the bitch doctors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am totally on board for the choose your own adventure tv show. let me know if you need help launching it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously hilarious on the "lady-doctors" front. I haven't noticed that yet, but then I haven't been since being married... oh the joy I have to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There have actually been several failed attempts at a choose your own adventure tv show. Most never make it to the air. Last fall there was a lot of buzz about "pretty little mistakes" for NBC- a c.y.o.a. show based on the book by the same name. Flop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just had an appointment with my lady doctor yesterday and I love her. When she brought up pregnancy she basically said, "You're a newlywed- enjoy it, have great sex and don't even think about babies right now!" I almost fell off of the exam table, but she's right! She followed it up with saying that unless I was rounding the corner to 45 I wouldn't hear a word of baby talk from her unless I brought it up. LOVE HER.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved those Choose Your Own Adventure books! Is it sad that I would keep playing until I had read every single option possible??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved your tweet just a bit ago about the intern. We do the same thing to student teachers, and I'm considering leaving teaching for law school. Guess it doesn't matter where you work, it's all the same... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. "want the producers of Grey's Anatomy to realize that this is not ER and quit while their ahead (which would have been two seasons ago when i stopped watching, btw)? press #3!" LOVE it. And, clearly, great minds think alike as I stopped watching two seasons ago as well. I kind of miss it, but, it's all sorts of dramatic and weird and I just don't need that in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So funny! I don't need to ask my friends if they've done anything that might get them sued - they're constantly asking for legal advice about the weirdest things (that I've never even heard of) and when I tell them I'm not going to give them advice (because I don't want to get sued - thanks for the warning, Professors) they get mad.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh lord, my damn gyno is ALL UP IN MY BABY BUSINESS. I finally made a nasty comment about children and it shut her up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yup. I remember the first time I got the, "No chances of being pregnant?" question from a doctor and I freaked. No. No chances. NEVER. LEAVE ME THE FUCK ALONE, YOU PEOPLE!

    Now when they ask that I jut say, "...with chihuahuas?" and they either laugh nervously or they shut the heck up because they're probably thinking, "Oh, she thinks she could give birth to chihuahuas, that poor thing. It's so lovely they let people with her delicate mental situation get married..."

    ReplyDelete
  15. And that should be just, not jut.

    Darn you for having no edit function, blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dude, i lost faith in Grey's...but have recently gotten back in the groove. Finally she and Shep. are married, Izzy almost died, George did die...shit got crazy. I had written it off and it sucked me back in.

    ReplyDelete
  17. ugh. i resisted the grey's anatomy temptation for 3 seasons and then watched the DVDs one summer. now it's like a train wreck and i can't look away. you know what's worse? i. hate. meredith. worst character ever! and she's the one i'm supposed to be "rooting for." ugh.

    double ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  18. fun that you saw my pops! from what i hear, he is a pretty good mediator, so hopefully he will help free up your holidays :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the choose your own adventure idea!! My husband loved those books, I bet he would love that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I used to love those Choose Your Own Adventure books - how funny. Haven't thought of them in forever!

    cozystyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. The lady docs are just trying to make sure that you have all the info you need and/or are up to date on all your proper preventive care/health maintenance BEFORE you're pregnant, while they can actually do something about it. Lots of insurance companies don't cover a pre-conception appointment, so most of the time it has to get squeezed into regular annual exams. That's my take on it from my little corner of the world of obstetrics & gynecology. :) I would try not to take it personally!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dallas is being so icky. Except I am totally rocking the tights.

    So funny, my husband also is obsessed with sequoias! We just got back from SF a month ago where we made a special trip to Muir woods to look at the redwoods. They had giant sequioas saplings on sell and they promised they grow in lots of settings. I said no as we live in an apt :)

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!