Wednesday, November 25, 2009

a Felicity Thanksgiving

Through a crummy series of events, here I sit, the day before Thanksgiving, in Texas, while the Evster is chilling at the Microtel in Miami, OK.  I am decidedly nearer to Starbucks (although I see Joplin, MO now has one... making the nearest decent cup of liquid crack a mere 35.5 miles away from dearest Miami) and my wireless internet is indisputably better.  But, while I have no reservations in sharing my "special feelings" about small town, Northern Oklahoma, I'm still ridiculously bummed that we won't be spending Thanksgiving together for the first time in four years.

However, in keeping with the "accentuate the positive, be thankful for all you have, and wash it down with another glass of eggnog" nature of the season, I must admit that I am pretty pumped for my "Felicity Thanksgiving," i.e., that holiday that for, whatever reason, becomes one giant ball of non-traditional, time-spent-with-friends Awesome.  And don't tell me you don't know what I'm talking about because you didn't watch that show because FELICITY WAS GREATNESS.

So today, preemptively, I give thanks for the following:**

Mi Familia - the Originals and my Newest Additions




Amigas




Turkey Day Bonus Points for those (here and here) making my
tomorrow oh-so-fun instead of oh-so-lonely

Tom Colicchio 

I love your bald head.  And your risotto.  Thanks for making us (what I am sure will be a) delicious Thanksgiving Lunch.  PS: I like Diet Coke a lot, too... call me!


The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

My Mom and I always watched the entire thing while baking pies... the folks in Miami don't feel quite as strongly about 2 ton hot air balloons and small-town marching bands, so I shall be glad to renew one of my favorite Thanksgiving traditions tomorrow!

Westminster

Turkey Day just ain't Turkey Day without fancy pups and
frumpy women trotting about in support hose!

The Pioneer Woman's Mac & Cheese


So You Think You Can Dance

Hey.  You.  All of Season 6 (thus far) on my DVR.  I'm coming for you.

and of course, Felicity

Thank you, Keri Russell, for doing something as stupid as randomly switching colleges for a boy (although, Scott Speedman? Yeah, I'd probably have done the same thing)... for putting "Sex with Noel" in your day planner... for making me want a chubby Latin gay-boyfriend really, really bad... and for having such awesome hair (except when you chopped it off after losing your virginity to Simon Rex - ew! - and it grew back into that terrible mullet creation).  Without you, I would not be able to fully appreciate sharing a holiday with a fabulous makeshift family of friends.  That said, I am still perturbed by the weird way your show ended.  What was up with that?

**um, obviously champagne, puppies, the country of Spain, Malia and Sasha Obama, Anthropologie, rosettes, and civil liberties also top my All-Time Favorite Things For Which To Be Thankful, but I kind of felt that went without saying.

16 comments:

  1. I love this post. I'm sorry you're spending Thanksgiving without Evs. But it sounds like tomorrow evening will be fun. And the day you have planned- just for you- sounds perfect!

    I love Felicity-- and the beautiful Keri Russell.

    Oh, and some of Todd's family lives in Joplin, MO. Can we find Janis there???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry about your Turkey day- it was last minute for me last year with work. I barely managed to escape and join my family down at the Beach Barn. This year we are having it here to avoid me freaking out and acting like a matyr.

    Sounds like you are handling it quite well all in all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait for tomorrow! I'm a little worried, though - I keep buying extra booze "just in case."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love love love this post. I wonder if Netflix has Felicity dvds... if so I may be signing up and be busy until Christmas. Enjoy this Thanksgiving, non-traditional and all... I am beyond jealous that you live in a city with Craft. I'm considering a trip just to eat his deliciousness-- I went to CraftSteak in Vegas and my life has never been the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had never heard of microtel until I stayed at one in Michigan last week! Seriously is that not the most random name for a hotel EVER?

    And yes, I am quite thankful for sasha/malia as well..sasha's school is 3 minutes from my apartment and I can't wait for the day when I see her. and then we become best friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry you and Evs are not spending your first Thanksgiving as official marrieds together, but it sounds like you are making the absolute best of it. I love you and am thankful each and every day that the Wake Forest housing Gods put us side-by-side our freshman year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to do a double-take at the mention of Miami and Joplin. I'm (originally) from Joplin (move to AR in 9th grade), and my grandparents used to have a lake house at Grand Lake. Looking at your post from last year, I saw something with Steve Owens on it-- which is bizarre, because that's my uncle's name, and he used to live there.

    I hope you have a fabulous holiday, even though your hubs won't be there. I was all alone last year and ended up crashing a friend's dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll be thinking of you watching the Macy's Thanksgiving parade--and I'm ready for a few Felicity reruns during the Xmas holiday. Loved that show! XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why are you and Evan not spending Thanksgiving together?! Bummer! Loved this post! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Felicity was the best thing that ever happened to TV! I wanted my university experience to be like Felicity, but it was not. :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE Felicity. And the Thanksgiving episode is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved to know you love my country! Have you been here?
    you are welcome whe you want/can come...
    que es el dia del pavo??

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nothing like Meye-am-uh.

    Seriously, time spent at the lake would be WAY better with a starbucks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm thankful for great bloggy friends!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Had so much fun with you last night!! I am thankful for YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope you are having a fabulous Thanksgiving weekend!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!