Sunday, February 21, 2010

one of life's biggest unanswered questions: answered

CSP and I have been friends for 13 years, and I can really only think of one major point of contention marring our relationship...

Not politics. 

Not religion.  

Not whether the hair-dryer or the Rick Dees & the Weekly Top 40 Countdown was the best cover-up whilst blending clandestine margaritas in the upstairs bathroom when parents were lurking downstairs. 

Ahem. 

Nope.  These conflicting allegiances run deeper than  party-lines, deities, or Waring Pros bearing frosty beverages.  

Yep.  I'm talking about... Girl Scout Cookies.  


Now, tears haven't been shed over flavor favorites, but, rather names.  You see, my childhood was filled with Peanut Butter Patties and Caramel deLites...  While at C's house, it was all about Tagalongs and Samoas.  

Of course the evidence was always on her side.***  The Girl Scout Cookie Boxes of My Mind's Yesteryear are long gone - replaced by shiny cardboard BEARING LIES, LIES I TELL YOU!  For thirteen long years I've sat in silent defeat... until today! 

Today, after my lovely little Scout delivered the goodies,+++ I decided to put the Great Cookie Debate to rest once and for all.  Turns out... C and I were both right!   From The All-Knowing Wiki:

Girl Scout cookies are made by large national commercial bakeries under license from Girl Scouts of the USA. The bakers that the organization licenses can change from year to year, though change is not common. In 2008 the licensed companies were Little Brownie Bakers (LBB), a subsidiary of Keebler... and ABC Bakers.  

Licensed baking companies can offer up to twenty-eight varieties of Girl Scout cookies. The national Girl Scout organization reviews and approves all varieties proposed by the baking companies, but requires only three types: Thin Mints, Peanut Butter Sandwiches (called Do-Si-Dos by LBB) and Shortbreads (called Trefoils by LBB). The other kinds can be changed every year, though several popular favorites, such as Caramel DeLites (LBB's Samoas) and Peanut Butter Patties (Tagalongs by LBB), are consistently available. 

(See?!  I knew I wasn't smoking crack... definitely not at age 14)

AH HA!  Caramel deLites for everybody!  Or Samoas.  If you're CSP  :)


*** And perhaps my Cookie Integrity was previously compromised during an unfortunate incident in which I insisted those industrious Keebler Elves had actually dubbed their adorable sandwich cookies "El Fudge" rather than "E.L. Fudge."  (What? I thought it gave them somewhat of a distinguished Latin flair, don't you?)

+++  Those being the goodies that I ordered FIVE WEEKS AGO.  My Caramel deLite Urges were so potent that every time I passed a female child under the age of fourteen, I had to physically restrain myself from cornering her and threatening Chinese Water Torture until she gave up the Top Secret Cookie Delivery Timeline.   Also?  Those Girl Scouts ain't fucking around with their payment.  I whipped out my checkbook and the prepubescent tween on my doorstep informed me that she couldn't accept a check without my driver's license number and birth date.   Sorry kid, this is 2010.  I don't keep $17.50 in cash on my person.  Do you take Visa or AmEx?  Or perhaps food stamps

{Thanks for all the Interview Well-Wishes!  It went really well and I'm headed back for a second interview on Monday!}

31 comments:

  1. oh, tag a longs is where it's AT! I like to pre-order so i don't have to wait. Girl Scouts LOOOOVE me. they can see me coming a mile away LoL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am feeling totally ripped off sitting up here in Canada. We don't get offered those types of girl guide cookies! not at all!
    what is up with that?!
    seriously, you people have trader joes, target... and I have nothing!

    Ok, well not "nothing", just having a princess moment there, but seriously. How could I have gone my life not knowing of this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also found it odd that the cookies formerly known to me all my life as Samoas suddenly had an evil twin named Caramel Delights. I figured it was a regional marketing thing, but Wiki also cleared it up for me.

    At least Thin Mints are still Thin Mints! Man I want some cookies now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up loving Peanut Butter Patties as well. Then all of a sudden there were all these crazy people out there calling them "Tagalongs" and I didn't really know what to do with that information.

    Needless to say, they'll always be Peanut Butter Patties in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i heart tagalongs and thin mints! good luck tomorrow!

    tam
    http://tampham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. where are my cookies???? I ordered from two different girls and neither has produced cookies yet. Lame!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha I can't help but ask this, but doesn't the Weekly Top 40 come on on Sunday mornings?! Maybe I'm wrong, but if so, you guys sure were rebellious to be secretively making margaritas at that time :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hilarious! When I moved to Florida I wondered what happened to my peanut butter patties and just what the hell a "treefoil" was. I also didn't realize that certain cookies are only available in certain regions. I visited my parents this weekend (about 2 hours from home) and had to schlep home boxes of "Lemon Chalet Cremes" to a girlfriend because they apparently don't sell them here and the girl is OBSESSED. It's only February and I'm pretty sure I've got "friend of the year" in the bag. People take their girl scout cookies very seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My beloved Samoas are now Caramel delights, but I REFUSE to call them that. REFUSE.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a Tag-Along girl all the way. I'm with CSP and slung mad amounts of Samoas, and Trefoils. Mmm, now I am lost in frozen Thin Mint cravings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm disappointed that my Thin Mints did not rank any higher.
    And as far as shortbread, the little green girls have the market on the perfect recipe. Use these for banana pudding instead of vanilla wafers, and then slap yo mamma!
    Sent you some extra special happy fingers on my blog today, check it out if you find a minute in your oh so fabulous life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. At least your little Scouts still deliver. Out here in the burbs, we have to hunt them down in the grocery store parking lots!
    Good luck on today's interview!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Peanut butter patties! That's the way to go!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you finally got your GS cookies - mine are gone already and now I'm insanely jealous of yours. I might have to take your Water Torture "suggestion" to heart to see if I can score some more.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My favorites are the trefoils and thin mints right of the freezer. My girl scout is late with our cookies. She better be getting them to us soon! Everyone else already has theres.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a big debate in my household as I grew up with Peanut Butter Patties and Caramel Delights. I move to Texas and they have a different name? What?! Thanks for this post. I forwarded it to my hubs :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I need to find a Girl Scout... STAT. They're usually lurking outside of Walmart, but I try to avoid Walmart like I'd avoid public bathrooms and the plague.

    They've always been Samoas and Tagalongs to me. At least, as an adult. I can't remember what they were when I myself was a GS selling this yumminess.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so jealous!! caramel delights are my all time favorite. Why are there no scouts showing up at my door?!?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Who knew? I always was a Tagalong and Samoas girl myself. I can NOT wait for mine to arrive!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've always known them as peanut butter patties and caramel delights, too. Did anyone else die laughing at Kate suggesting she use food stamps for her GS cookies?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my gosh. De-lurking to say I JUST had this revelation earlier this year. I live in Texas now, but am from Alabama. Some coworker ganked a bunch of cookies from his child and is selling them to us (maybe for a profit). I kept asking "do you have any Tagalongs? Samoas?" and finally another coworker said "What the hell are you talking about?"

    And then I googled it and felt redeemed.

    ReplyDelete
  22. SO glad that you cleared this up! Glad we were both right. I am also glad that some of your readers remember tagalongs and samoa. Now I want cookies. Yum.

    I knew Tiffany would remember the same names as me!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is my first time commenting, and I must say your blog is one of my favorite reads!

    After recently moving to CA, I was stumped when I tried to order Tagalongs from a co-worker and was told that there was no such thing! At first I panicked out of fear they had taken my once a year indulgence of peanut butter and chocolate away from me, but was so relieved to see that they are called Peanut Butter Patties here!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Delurking to say that I am a Brownie troop leader for my daughter's 2nd grade class and y'all would NOT believe the training, preparation and RULES associated with selling GS Cookies. It's almost military.

    And yeah, we're not allowed to accept checks (at least down here in FL) for less than $10 or more than $150. Although I've never met anyone who has purchased more than $150 in cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I had to read this post a few times to understand that you were talking about the same types of cookies! I kept think caramel delight sounds horrible...until I realized it's the same as Samoas. I'm a bit slow apparently.

    What's up with only getting apx. 3 S/CD in a box!? Thin Mints (best out of the freezer) are my favorite for more cookie for the buck. Since I need as many cookies as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ahhhhh ... I love Girl Scout Cookie season! Although I'm a little offended that I haven't been asked to buy any yet. Where are all the GS in my neighborhood?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Caramel Delights!!! yum. do you put yours in the microwave for a few seconds? if i didn't have to squeeze my fat arse into a swim suit in less than three weeks i'd go pick up a box. cursing my genetic predisposition for thunder thighs!

    also, thanks for the answer to the "law related" question i asked today. i definitely need to look into the federal loan forgiveness programs...well, i need to look into getting a j.o.b. first!

    & congrats on your new job! i tried to tell you on twitter...but idk if you can see what i send you! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  28. yep I was brought up with trefoil, samoas and tagalongs...I sold these for many years and thought it was crazy when I was in other regions that they had different names. It all comes down to licensing, regions and bakers. Oh those silly silly marketing people! Don't they know that they were Samoas and Thin Mints long long before they were ever Carmel delights (I can only attest to this truth all the way back to my great grandmother's era when she sold them and she lived in several regions where they are now peanut butter patties and shortbreads etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  29. "...and those GS aren't fucking around with their payment either!" HAHAHAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ha! I also grew up on Peanut Butter Patties and Carmel Delights...I mean why do they have to use names that you have no idea what the cookie is...Makes absolutely no sense! :)

    I'm avoiding those Girl Scouts like the plague...I can eat an entire sleeve of Thin Mints in 2.5 seconds...Those Girl Scouts are evil...

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!