Thursday, April 8, 2010

fire it up!

Our time in Oregon was magical... but hot cold damn, it was chilly!  Thankfully, Texas' temperature has been upwards of 75 and 80 the past few days, leaving me lusting after sundresses, flip-flops, and fresh flavors for supper...

And so, this evening, with a hankerin' for a mouthful of summertime, I went on the prowl for a simple dinner menu that evokes a picnic sort of mood... the perfect cure for my hectic day... and the perfect accompaniment to the sunroof weather outside my kitchen window!  

SST Burger {Smoky, Sweet & Tangy!} with Roasted Cauliflower

Ingredients
- 1 lb of ground beef (the more fat content, the more flavor... but I'm in Wedding Party Weight Mode, so tonight it was 96% lean) + (1 lb = 3 patties, so adjust accordingly)
- Lawry's or favorite seasoning (or just sea salt and fresh ground pepper)
- Favorite BBQ sauce - the smokier, the better
- whole wheat hamburger buns 
- cherry or grape tomatoes (I love the del Cabo yellow 'maters)
- olive oil
- sea salt & ground pepper
- juice of one lemon
- shredded Parmesan cheese 
- 2-3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped 
- 1 purple onion, cut into rings 
- 1/2 T. butter
- 1 t. brown sugar 

How to...

Form ground beef into patties (3 patties per 1 lb of meat).  Sprinkle each side with seasoning (or salt / pepper).  We're big fans of Johnny's Seasoning Salt and Rendezvous' Famous Seasoning!


Brush BBQ sauce over patties.  At this point in the game, I covered the patties with saran wrap and popped them in the fridge while I prepped the veggies.  Feel free to grab a chilled bottle of crisp white on your way out of the icebox...


I'm drinking Shoo Fly Buzz Cut '08 tonight... in a juice glass, no less... its the {Insert Irish Maiden Name Here} Family Way, after all! 


Preheat the oven to 425.  Mist a baking dish with olive oil, chuck in some tomatoes, and mist those real good, too!  Sprinkle sea salt over the tomatoes and toss.   Place the cauliflower - broken into florets - in a separate baking dish.  Drizzle olive oil, sea salt, ground pepper, and fresh lemon juice over the cauliflower.  Toss well.  Pop both dishes into the preheated oven... Remove the tomatoes after 20 minutes, but allow the cauliflower to roast for 30-35 minutes total.  Toss cauliflower with Parmesan immediately after removal.


The tomatoes should be near bursting.  The cauliflower should be brown and crisp on the outside.  


While the veggies are roasting, melt butter over Medium-Heat heat in a skillet (non-stick works best here).  Add onions and saut√© for about 2 minutes.  Lower the heat to Medium.  Add the brown sugar to caramelize the onions - probably about 4 minutes.  Remove from heat, cover, and set aside.  


WARNING:   Do not cook too long!  Or on too high a heat!  FULL DISCLOSURE: I overcooked the onions. Sad Panda.  Learn from my mistakes, and your burger with be truly epic with the addition of perfectly caramelized onions...  This is the Circle of Trust People!  


Grill Time!  Light the grill, allow that sucker to heat up, and lob that saucy meat over the open flame!  Note: I'm not going to pretend to be a total Grill Master Mistress... cook your burger as you normally would... or ask your Go-To Griller Extraordinaire for the perfect temperature-to-time ration! 

But... BUT!  I will profess to be an Empress of Cheese!  And while any ol' brick of Lucerne will do (ugg, I suppose) (but, please, for the love of All Things Holy & Cheesy... NO KRAFT SINGLES!), I recommend something really sultry and succulent to counterbalance the tang of the tomato...  Today's pick was a wedge of Big John's Cajun Rubbed - a local artisan cheese I discovered during a tasting at Whole Foods - but a good hunk of aged Gruyere would do just swimmingly!  Mmmmmmm, or goat cheese.... Yes, Chevre would be dreamy as well (shmeared on after the grilling is complete, rather than melted for a few minutes over the fire)...


After flipping your burgers on the grill and about 2 minutes prior the patties' removal time, lay the cheese over the patties and the buns, insides down, on the grill.  

{Pour one out for Evs' Sad, Lactose Intolerant Burgers - Boo}

One Mississippi... Two Mississippi... Oh-My-God-Don't-Make-Me-Wait-Any-Longer Mississippi... BURGERS ARE DONE!!!   

Layer the roasted tomatoes on one toasty bun and the cheesy patty on the other... Sprinkle a little red pepper flake on that Love Muffin...


And, with a song and a prayer, smoosh (technical word alert!) the two buns together.  Dole out some of that cauliflower goodness and away you go...

Summertime Angels are a-Chorusing!

18 comments:

  1. Um... YUM. I just ate dinner, but this made me hungry!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But really I just like your writing.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that looks amazing. Perfect for an autumnal weekend in Australia that is more like nuclear summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hubs and I have been looking for new ways to spice up our burgers. I think this will do the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks scrumptious!

    Before I read the recipe, in the first pic, I thought the little yellow tomatoes sticking out were giant globs of cheddar cheese. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am dying for a burger now. It's barely nine o'clock. I am supposed to be laying off the red meat. All I can think about is burger now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Than sounds ridiculous. I might have to put on my apron this weekend and get grilling!

    ReplyDelete
  8. And now I have discovered what I will be making for dinner tonight. ::wipes drool off desk::

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! I have a major taste for a burger now... that looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had the exact same wine last night. It was in the 80s here yesterday and it was the perfect evening wine. If only the dinner I paired with it was as delicious as yours looks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So I'm hitting print and making this this weekend. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those burgers look AMAZING. Have you ever made inside-out burgers? My boyfriend and I made them a few weeks back and they were amazing - they have a mix of hard and soft cheeses encased in the burger so when you put them on the grill the cheese gets uber warm and melted without oozing all over the place. Perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  13. that looks so delicious!

    Where did you get that cute polka dotted salt jar?

    ReplyDelete
  14. delish!! Im sooo looking forward to Mondays Goonies post...make it good sista! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. So today I was talking to my sis on the phone telling her what I was making for dinner. She said, "You know what looks good? Those burgers Kate made." I immediately knew exactly who/what she was talking about and said, "OMG. I know!! I'm gonna make those for sure." Sometimes we dork ourselves out talking about people we only know of via their blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I made your cauliflower recipe Tuesday night and it was AMAZING! My husband and I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. o.m.g. that makes me want to start eating red meat again! maybe i can prepare it and substitute with a veggie patty? haha

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!