Tuesday, June 29, 2010

mundane-ness

Forgive my lameness... you know when life's just gotten a little "meh" on you?  

Nothing in particular.  Nothing bad.  Nothing stressful.  

Just... meh.  

And that's okay!

Backtrack:  I'm slurping this book up with a spoon.  


It's utterly delicious.  Trust me.  Purchase.  Now.  Anyhoo, there is a delightful chapter centering around a slew of self-help literature - one in particular that gently allows the reader the identify her current foibles and face them with the cheeky mantra...

"And that's okay!"

Never one to pass up a sassy intonation, I've been mentally cheerleading "and that's okay!" for the last 48 hours.  Surprisingly (or maybe not, seeing as someone got a book deal out of it), this little ditty is oddly comforting... Try it!  

I'll start...

It's the beginning of Hurricane Season.  Which mean it's the beginning of our power going out if the wind blows the wrong way.  Which means THE MOST NEUROTIC TERRIER IN THE WORLD will hide under the bed and shake like a freakin' maraca because apparently Still Air / Dead Quiet are the scariest things since Riding In The Car and Vacuum Cleaner Monsters.  Oh, and Toddlers. Fickle electricity also means I'll wake up in puddles of my own sweat, pumped for a shower but incapable of drying my hair.  Which, to sum it all up, means that it's beginning of Kate Goes to Work Looking Like Ass Season. 

And that's okay!

The Hills makes absolutely no sense right now.  I thought we all hated K Cavallari.  I thought we were all calling her a coke whore to her face and ditching her in Miami.  I also thought we hated Stacy The Bartender. Now we're all in Costa Rica together like the Brady Bunch (if the Brady Bunch had a habit of guzzling blue tinted shots and were willing to risk contracting Herpes Simplex Virus for a saucy romp on the beach).  

And that's okay! 

I'm 100% aware that I am at least 97% too old to still be watching this show.  

And that's okay! 

I'm trying to trick Evs into thinking that I am testing loads of new recipes, but really, I'm just putting different things on top of those amazeballs tostadas.  {Tonight it was taco meat and black beans.  Delectable.}  He is so not buying it. 

And that's okay!  

My resentment towards our mismatched bedside tables from Hobby Lobby has reached an unhealthy level.  As has my distaste for the glass-n-metal built-in / man-sculpture under our living room television.  However, I find myself paralyzed with indecision and sticker-shock when presented with options that hail from any place classier than Garden Ridge.

And that's okay!  

Sometimes it takes 10 minutes of really heated self-debate to convince me to wash my hair on Day 3.  

And that's okay!

Even after the most "meh" of days, Frito-smelling puppy paws, scratchy-man-cheeks, and mango popsicles make me grin as I head towards sleep.  

And that's more than okay. 

{Even when the last thing mine eyes spy is that damn, heinous-ass, faux-sea-grass nightstand.  Bane of my existence.  Fuggity-Fug-Fug-Fug}

21 comments:

  1. This blog just made my day and I may steal the mantra as well.. and search for that book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the second person I've seen blog about this book which means I obviously need to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post. I will definitely be purchasing this for a 12 hour road trip to the destination of our family vacation. Whenever I am about to pull my hair out three hours into the trip, I'll say: "My sister is screaming instead of talking (per usual), my mom is singing horribly off-key, my step-dad smells like woodchips, my aunt won't listen to the GPS, and I have to pee! And that's okay - because I am going to a fabulous place to relax with a family I love dearly." Thanks, EA! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had that book on my TBR list since seeing a snippet about it in a magazine months ago - now I really want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG. Here I was sitting, soaking in shame over my recent interest (re-interest?) of the Hills (I mean come on- totally stopped watching the last few seasons, but this season? Why not!) so whew. Thank you. THANK YOU.

    As long as you don't consider having a baby just for blog content (Husband looked at me so strangely, too, when I proposed my little idea), I think you'll be fine. We all have those meh moments. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why is washing our hair so hard?

    ReplyDelete
  7. A. I love you, B. I just picked up that book en route to a work trip and I adore it, C. I need to make those tostadas, D. I suffer sticker shock in terms of anything I want to buy for my house too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fugity Fug Fug, can I borrow that as a new catch phrase? You're the third person to recommend that book, I guess I need to buy it and that's okay!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made the tostadas the over day, even leftovers last night were amazing!!! I'm seriously hooked

    ReplyDelete
  10. I must make those tostadas soon, they sound absolutely fabulous! Given the last few days I've had, I think your "and that's okay" mantra is just what I need to get me through to the long weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. your posts always make me laugh:) i def have to convince myself to wash my hair too! haha...i drag it out as long as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE this post. This is so familiar! My SIL and I are always having these "Is it bad that...?" conversations and what I've learned from this is that no - it's okay! Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That book is on my to read list. Ditto to The Hills, I will catch up this weekend via DVR. I love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm taking that book on vacay with me! I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm in the middle of that book right now too! i was at the pool reading the part where she's talking about her husband and his racket-ball anger and he said...."shower of golden corn from my A@#!!" i was laughing hysterically!

    hang in there-some times are just muh!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your book reviews...I want to quit grad school just so i can read all these lovely books I see all over the blogosphere! good luck with the hurricane!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This post made me laugh! I too get major sticker shock when looking at anything nicer than what you'd find at IKEA so I totally feel your pain. I mean, why is it we have no issue spending money on shoes, handbags, hairstylists, etc. But, when it somes to furniture or car maintenance it's always way too much?!? I mean, I just want really beautiful furniture that a deal. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad I'm not the only one who gets into blah ruts! Love the mantra!

    I'm not supposed to be adding any more books to my unread book collection, but I may have to make an exception :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE the "and that's okay!" mantra...will totes be employing that from now on :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I know I'm way late commenting on this, but I must! I just finished this on vacation and I looooooved it! The "And that's okay!" chapter was definitely a favorite. And is it lame that the index may have been my second favorite part? Such a great book :)

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!