Thursday, June 3, 2010

sad panda

Have you ever thought you were a total creative mastermind... only to discover that your brilliant "invention" or "unique thought" was actually a complete ripoff of some other smartypants-ier-than-you's genius?

Such is the case with me.

Me, that is,... and the phrase...

"Sad Panda."

Yes, true story, until about a year ago, I 100% believed that I had invented the sad panda verbiage.  I have no clue where I heard the words first uttered together (hence my insistence that "sad panda" was SO MY IDIOMATIC INVENTION)... Having never seen an episode of South Park (I prefer my cartoons sans mass suicides and racial slurs and the like, thankyouverymuch) (and YES, I know it's supposed to be ironic and social commentary-y, and I usually slurp that stuff up with a spoon, but when it comes to animation, I just like it light), I know I didn't inadvertently rip-off Sexual Harassment Panda (all prior commentary aside, I have since seen that episode and will admit that I chuckled more than once) (OMG how many parenthetical phrases can I use in one post?).  

For years I waltzed around, gratuitously pitching out a "sad panda" whenever a good opportunity presented itself...

The Pit is out of rice krispie treats... Sad Panda! 

The Boom ate another pair of your Hanky Pankies... Sad Panda!

The men on the Bachelorette are all total douchepickles... Sad Panda for Ali and her tawdry Britneyesque hair extensions!

Until one fateful day, a work colleague overheard one of my sad pandas and exclaimed "Oh man, I love that South Park episode!"

"Ummmmmmmmmm, Hold up!  South Park, Say What?"

"Yeah, you know - the  one with the Sexual Harassment Panda?  I love that panda!" 

Well Effity-Eff-Eff-Effers.  Sheer Brilliance: FOILED! 

And you can bet that made me a sad panda.  


Also, an embarrassed panda.  

Almost as embarrassed as when I discovered that streets bearing the sign "No Outlet" did NOT, in fact, mean they had no electricity.  THAT was a stellar day... a day occurring during my ELEVENTH year of life.  

Yep. That's me. 

18 comments:

  1. Ha! I have not seen that episode. But this post did make me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me laugh... especially since I too thought that "no outlet" signs indicated streets without electricity. I'm not sure how long I thought so, but it was definitely far longer than anyone should be okay with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, you are the second blogger I've seen who thought they made up "Sad Panda". Maybe South Park ripped you gals off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's ok, I definitely thought that my high school guy friends invented the popped collar in 2002. Little did I know that prepsters were doing it before I was even born!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sad Panda...I always just used it because you used it. And SPEAKING of Pandas...have you seen the Panda dog? Now that is a sad lil panda. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh girl...I realized that Left Turn Signal meant that there would be a green arrow (not that you should turn on your left turn signal) in oh...probably 2006. And i wasn't 11.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing post - just did a snort laugh, out loud, at my desk. Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought I was the only one who thought that about the no outlet streets!!! And I only learned the for real meaning when I was in high school! So I'm right there with you on the smartie thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. it took my sister until her 15th year of life to learn the "no outlet" thing. and she seriously thought it meant you couldn't set up camp there or something. primitive camping only. i really thought she was joking. i'll make sure she knows she wasn't the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, too funny! That is totally something I would do, although I typically take a phrase from TV/movie and use it incorrectly and then get called on it, which is totally embarassing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Doggie eating Hankie Pankies is definitely a sad panda moment. I like your usage of Sad Panda better. I had never seen that South Park episode either (and I used to secretly love it).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man, I did the same thing with the word "BANANAS!" (synonym for crazy or unbelievable) After I told my husband about how I'd come up with the new phrase, he just shook his head in shame, knowing that I was about the one billionth person to use it.

    Should I tell him that I didn't get that "What's black and white and read all over?" riddle until I was in eighth grade?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not going to lie, I kind of want to start saying "Sad Panda" now. It sounds pretty original to me, but then again, I guess I'm out of the South Park loop too. And yes, I've had my hanky pankys consumed by my dog & we were both "Sad Pandas." I just found your blog a few days ago, and I've been completely devouring it. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. When my brother was about 14 or 15 he had a friend who would yell "AAAAAHHHHH!!!" every time he saw a Yield sign because he thought it said "yelled." It could be worse. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. 找一個懂妳的人也期許自己做一個人懂別人的人..................................................

    ReplyDelete
  16. my husband has been saying sad panda for quite a while and I always made fun of him because I thought for sure that was not a real expression. Then I was a sad panda when he sat me down to watch that South Park and proved I was wrong.

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!