Tuesday, June 22, 2010

tasty tostada tuesdays!

I promise we'll chat about Tiny Crystal Light-Saber "Medical Treatments" tomorrow...


Tonight, let's talk tostadas!  

Another fabulous adaptation from Cooking Light (original found here), these hot-n-crispy treats are bursting with veggie goodness straight from your summer farmer's market!  And they are pretty dang easy to whip up... definitely a new addition to my rotation!  

Chicken & Summer Vegetable Tostadas 
Ingredients
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- 12 oz. of chicken breast tenders
- 1 c. finely diced red onion
- 1 c. corn kernels (fresh summer corn is delish, delish, delish... but sometimes it's freaking TUESDAY - that's the day after MONDAY - and the only thing keeping you from LOSING YOUR MIND is frozen corn... and that's okay)
- 1 c. chopped zucchini 
- 1/2 c. green salsa
- 4 whole wheat tortillas 
- 1 c. of shredded Monterrey Jack cheese

Directions

Preheat your oven's broiler.  Or, if your oven is ghetto, preheat that biotch to 550 degrees. 

Mix first three ingredients together and sprinkle that spice-a-palooza on each side of the chicken tenders.  Heat olive oil (just use your judgment... I find I have to use an extra little glug with my stainless cookware so the meat doesn't stick) over medium heat.  Place the sexed up chicken in the oil, allowing the tenders to cook without turning for 3 minutes... then flip those suckers over and add the veggies.  Saute for 3 more minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.  Using kitchen scissors (ADORE my kitchen scissors... odd?), cut the tenders into small chunks.  Stir in the green salsa.  


If a little salsa drips down the jar, go ahead and give it a lick on your way to return it back to the fridge.  At this point, if you've mistakenly purchased MRS. RENFRO'S HOT JALAPEƑO SALSA instead of your run-of-the-mill, nice, perky, girl-next-door green salsa, you're going to need a really big glass of water.  

I'll wait.  

Better?

Now, place your tortillas on a clean cookie sheet and pop them under the broiler for 2 minutes, until slightly crisped. 

Meanwhile, bust out the shredded, cheesy goodness!  And if your tongue is still on fire, it's completely acceptable - nay! - advisable to stuff a small handful into your mouth.  Trust me, I have a doctoral degree that has absolutely nothing to do with medicine, not even the shoddy kind that involves mini crystal light sabers am a doctor!  


Portion the chicken and veggie mixture equally between the crisped tortillas and top with cheese.  


Back in the oven they go for two or three more minutes until...


Ding!  It's yummy goodness time!  

Have you found any easy summer go-to recipes yet? 

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe!

    I hope you don't mind that I gave you a shout on on my blog - it's in this post: http://daiseeangel.blogspot.com/2010/06/link-love.html

    I picked my 5 favorite blogs, and yours is one of them! Again, I hope you don't mind!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! These look and sound delicious! I'll definitely have to add these into my summer recipe rotation! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tostadas and frittatas = perfect simple summer recipes. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delish!! I will be making this asap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks fabulous!! I'm making it tomorrow night!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!