Monday, July 26, 2010

"me" time...

Full Disclosure:  I am an only child.

Yes.  Let's have it.  Let the prejudgment just soak on in there.  Give it to me.  Ahhhhhhh... 

Okay, now that you're done with that... I'll let you in on a little secret:

...

I wasn't the spoiled only child of Self-Help Section Lore.

{UNFORTUNATELY.  'Cause that My Little Pony Dream House would have been TOTALLY BITCHIN'}

I remember my mom asking my kindergarten teacher if I was exhibiting any selfish tendencies in class, as well as a further request to alert the Parental Pack if ever a coddled trait reared its ugly head during Story Hour.   

So, save for The Christmas Incident: 1993, in which a 10 Year Old Me told my sweet, sweet grandmother that I didn't get enough gifts because everyone was doting on my two newborn cousins (did I mention I was the only grandchild on my mom's side for nearly 10 years?!) (what a precocious tween asshole, right?!), I think I was pretty grounded as a kiddo. 

Although, one thing's for certain... Only Childness made me Golden when it comes to Alone Time.  Practice makes perfect, after all. 

I learned to enjoy playing solo at a young age.  My favorite pastime?  Building zoos with blocks and outfitting them with my Little Red Wagon full of plastic animals.  Once I reached middle school age (and eventually, high school), I was fully capable of letting myself into our house while my mom finished up at work, making myself a snack, and starting my homework on my own... usually whilst scouring the radio stations for the perfect mix-tape inclusions!  When college came around, I loved the hustle and bustle of dorm life, but reveled in the chance to "recharge" with a good book while my roommate was in class.

And once I moved to Waco to start law school, I happily rooted like a pig in mud around my lead-paint-era new, non-roomie apartment.  I loved setting my own schedule - studying when and where I wanted... cooking a decently balanced meal or, if the mood struck me, slurping Blizzards-of-the-Month for dinner... hitting the snooze button 8x before crawling out of bed.  I was 109% my own person.  

Getting married was a wee bit of a transition after 3+ years of ME TIME.  All of a sudden, there was another person all up in my grill... Sometimes this person wants to watch SPORTS CENTER and the HISTORY CHANNEL.  {Help me, Jesus.}  Sometimes this person wants me to remove my nose from whatever novel had gripped me that day and chat.  Sometimes this person MAKES FUN OF SEXY VAMPIRE SHOWS.  {!!!}

Of course, this person also has a very demanding, time-intensive career.  Leaving me with oodles and oodles of personal time.    Many an-evening I'm just peachy hanging out with Me, Myself, and I.  I love cooking when no one else is home to hear me dice onions to the beat of Broadway soundtracks.  I love that I can listen to a song on repeat ten dozen times whilst Swiffering.  I love guilty pleasure DVR time. 

But, then, all of a sudden, sometimes... I don't love it.

Not at all.

Not even a little bit.

Won't someone whose mug makes me grin please steal the remote and change the channel to Pawn Stars?  Or interrupt my train of thought with a funny made-up song?  Won't somebody call my favorite show Vampire Smut?  Or holler from the living room How many times are you going to listen to that damn Weary Kind song, woman - you are driving me completely insane! 

Pretty please?

20 comments:

  1. I'm an only child as well! We should start a secret handshake or something. I can totally relate to needing lots of me time. Interestingly enough though, I've never lived alone. I've always had roommates, and those roommates were understanding about me retreating to my own room for some solo time. When I figure out where I want to be other than SA, I'll get my first place by myself - crazy that I'll be nearly 30 before I live alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also an only child and alone time is so so important to me. After college, I bought a house and even though I had a roommate, she was never there, so alone basically. It ruled! Then yes, marriage. Sometimes I really crave my alone time, then I get it, and I try to remember what I actually DID with it...junk food, magazines, SaTC reruns, doing absolutely nothing...but then yes, the sounds of Around the Horn and basketball games (eh) are missing. Sometimes I feel like I don't get enough but other times, the opposite. the husband calls me Goldilocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not an only child, but this describes Ty and I pretty well. I love my alone time. BUT, I also love when he is around. (well, most of the time.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't an only child but I loved my alone time. I was born 6 years before my twin siblings and I loved my quiet time with my barbies or reading my books. I was good at it.

    My husband was an only child but is apparently the opposite of you, he likes to hang out with me all. the. time. I can't complain though, it's good to have someone who likes me enough to want to watch my True Blood with me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. From one only child to another, I can certainly appreciate the alone time but miss my husband when he is away as well. Awfully quiet in that house!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to say that being a twin has made me a total pansy about being alone - I ALWAYS have to have company and don't really need very much "me" time!

    (Oh and in response to your comment on my post, glad you can relate on the couch situation with the dogs! He just looks too cute for me to give him the boot :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am an oldest child, but I looooovvvee my alone time. You asked me earlier in my q post (which I have not done the a's to yet) if it was hard having Morgan gone during the week. It is, especially on Monday mornings, but most the time I can deal, because I'm so busy and love being alone. I know how you feel though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this post! I'm not an only child either, but I am all about some "me" time... until all of a sudden, I'm not. Hah.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm an only child and I cherish my ME time! (I actually wrote a post about this about two weeks ago. I live alone now because I just need to have ME time! I know that the day I get married will be a huge adjustment, but like your husband my boyfriend is a surgical resident so his job is a just wee-bit demanding.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not an only child, but my little bro is 7 years younger than me...so, I had "me time" quite a bit. But then I got married...and had two kids...and well, I don't get much "me time" these days (and that's okay!) My hubs is deployed right now and the ONLY decent part of that is that I don't have to fight someone for the remote or DVR space! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really, really like my alone time as well. But only when I want it! So I get bored easily if the Mister has to work late or something and isn't there to entertain me (I can totally be a twelve year old). Of course there's also the flip side where he won't leave me alone and I want to smother him... Oh married life. Tis a ball!

    ReplyDelete
  12. After law school I lived alone and loved it (most of the time). Then I got married and we live in a 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom condo (less than 800 square feet)...due to the lack of space we are always up in each others' business. So when my husband has to travel for work, I am secretly super excited to watch my bad tv, have a pampering day alone, spend all day in the kitchen, etc...but after a day or two it gets pretty loney.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're too funny! Although I'm not an only child I absolutely LOVE my alone time too! After about 2 days it gets a little old though!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not an only, but I am a latchkey wife as you know. I like it, probably 75% of the time. That may sound bad, but I am so used to my after work routine. But ya know, I'd like to occasionally eat with the dude I married. But that is basically not in the cards, ya know, EVER.

    And I would NEVER watch Pawn Stars alone, but I watch it ALL THE TIME with him.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm technically not an only but I think of myself as one because I was ten when the brother came along. I love him but you know things were JUST FINE before he showed up. Anyhow, I married a twin. I really had no idea. Also, his parents live across the street. Isn't that special? Needless to say I rarely get alone time but when I do sometimes I don't know what to do with myself. They are corrupting me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am not an only child, but I have lived alone with my pup for almost 6 years now. My boyfriend and I have been discussing moving in together in the near future, and it will be a tough adjustment since we have both lived alone for so long. I can totally relate to being able to do whatever, whenever, and not worrying about how crazy you look doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It sounds like Evs watches the exact same shows as my husband :) Does he also watch Dirty Jobs?? That is oh so fun to fall asleep to. Ick.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this post!! Yes, you were definitely an awesome child just as you are an awesome adult! --and not spoiled (taking after your Daddy Jim, I think!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm behind, but love this post. I'm not an only child, but I have always been super independent. Except when it comes to the husband. I can do alone most of the time, but some days I just want him there watching me paint my toenails (or ignoring me while he watches Diners Drive-ins and Dives). Marriage does a strange thing to our alone-time-loving souls.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm an only child too! I love alone time. I also appreciate visiting my parents by myself. I never thought visiting my parents with a husband all the time would be so annoying. I'm super pumped to spend a whole weekend with just my parents and not have to share the attention with my husband.

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!