Thursday, July 8, 2010

roasted red pepper sauce

Gracious Sakes Alive Hallelujah, this is one of those kitchen experiences where in I simply had no clue that my taste buds would love the outcome of my endeavors quite as much as they did... otherwise, I would have taken a helluva (technical term) lot more photos!  


{compliments of The Pioneer Woman}

I've been hankerin' to try the PW's Roasted Red Pepper Sauce ever since I bookmarked that sucker 9 or so months ago but just haven't gotten around to it.  Then, yesterday evening, some simply delightful looking bell peppers caught my eye and provided all the motivation I needed... Only to be BOOYAH-ED (technical term) by the realization that my favorite pencil skirt is a bit snug and that we're headed to New Orleans tomorrow where we shall participate in some Champion Grade Eating.  Soooooo perhaps I'll save the recipes with heavy cream for a week where I've been a bit more consistent with the gym routine and I'm not about to scarf down gumbo by the barrel, yes?  

Yes!

But I still wanted my damn roasted pepper sauce.  

So then I was all "'Sup, Rachel Ray" (even though her voice makes me want to stab myself in the kidneys with my twin Wusthof parring knives).  And Rachel's recipe seemed alright and everything, but, per usual, I managed to poke my grubby fingers all up in Ms. Ray's Proverbial Recipe Pie.  

What you see here would be the resulting product....

Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
{6-8 servings, depending on intended dish}

Ingredients
- 2 twelve oz. jars of roasted red peppers (or roast your own fresh peppers!  see below)
- 2 T. of extra virgin olive oil (or, if you are using jarred peppers, reserve 2 T. - the oil will be deliciously infused with pepper flavor!)
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved (per usual, I prefer a variation of colors to increase the depth of flavor... wow.  I sound like a food snob.  Awesome.)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, diced
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 1/2 c. veggie stock or dry white wine (one guess as to what this wino I prefer)
- handful of flat-leaf Italian parsley
- heavy sprinkling of red pepper flakes
- heavy sprinkling of kosher salt
- heavy grid-o-pepper 

Directions

If you're an all-star, as I planned on being, follow PW's instructions for roasting your own peppers over a gas range / grill.  Remove the outer skin with your fingers, quarter, and scrape your knife along the insides of the peppers to de-membrane and de-seed. 

If you're lazy hurricane season hates you and invokes the wrath of the weather gods every time you feel like using your grill, then, um, buy those jarred roasted red peppers with your head held high!  

Heat the olive oil, sauteing the garlic, shallot, and onion over medium until fragrant - about 4 minutes.  Dump in that tomato-y + pepper-y goodness.  Stir until tomatoes just begin to liquify, then add wine (or stock) - simmer until tomatoes are partially liquified - about 5 minutes.  Stir in parsley, flakes, salt and pepper.   

Transfer the whole kit-n-kaboodle to a blender or food processor and pulse until sauce is smooth.  

Serve over pasta or grilled chicken.  Or add some kick to your normal pizza routine.  Or dunk your entire fist in it and lick that sucker like a soft-serve cone.  Or maybe not that last one. 


How gorgeous is that color?  {Answer: It'd be way more gorgeous if you would ditch the lame iPhone photos and take a photography class, genius-face}




I served this batch over spinach tortellini and shredded rotisserie chicken.   And, oh yes.  There is plenty chillaxin' in my freezer to brighten up (another) rainy day!

7 comments:

  1. My husband and I are nutty for red peppers and have made Pioneer Woman's red pepper sauce a few times. You can make it with half and half and it's just as good.

    This one looks good, too!

    Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. holy moly, that looks great! yum!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um. Rachel makes me want to stab myself in the eyeballs as well, and I've recently been getting into grilled red peppers, too. Pair it with grilled onions and it's a deliciousness on a plate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds healthy and divine! I bet it would be good with shrimp, too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. that looks amazing! i love rotiserrie (sp??) chickens!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh wow that looks fantastic. i think that will have to go on the menu next week!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!