Monday, September 6, 2010

Menu Faux-Sunday

It seems Monday's the new Sunday this week... if only it were so every week, yes? 

Anyhoo, here's hoping y'all are enjoying what's left of this long weekend...  Here's what's coming out of my kitchen this week...

Tonight: Bow-Tie Lasagna 
- from Tasty Kitchen user Rozanie

Tuesday: Black Bean & Chicken Chilaquiles

Wednesday: Chicken Stuffed with Herbed Goat Cheese & Chives
- my own little creation 
- to be served with pearled basil cous cous (Near East, of course!) and squash 

Thursday: Tequila Lime Chicken 
- to be served with Spanish rice with peas 

So, yeah, a little heavy on the chicken dishes... and two meals with Mexican influences... Meh, variety is over-rated - salsa is the spice of life! 

Hits and Misses from Last Week's Menu...

While Chili Casserole (here) - This was Insane Good - and I am not usually a casserole queen! I halved the recipe (except I did use the whole can of beans and about 3 c. chicken) because I didn't think we'd eat all the leftovers from the full version... then kicked myself for it all week!  Modifications: I used shredded white corn tortillas instead of the flour.  Instead of the green pepper + can of diced green chiles, I used roasted Hatches (duh).  And I just don't do low-fat cheese... full-fledged extra sharp cheddar all of the way, baby!  



Slow Cooked Puerto Rican Pork Carnitas (here) - I'll start by saying that I fully blame myself for the Utter Inedibility that resulted from this recipe.  I didn't trim any of the fat off the pork butt (which, um, Twitter told me is actually the shoulder of a pig... leading me to wonder if the cut referred to as 'pork shoulder' is actually the arse of the piggie... leading me here... leading me to realize I'd spent entirely too much time worrying about pork parts) and I'm assuming I should have because the carnitas were so fatty we couldn't even eat them.  An amateur mistake on my part, but it would have been nice if the recipe had said TRIM THE FAT YOU DIMWIT!  

9 comments:

  1. Can Aaron come over for Chilaquile night? It's his favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Tequila Lime Chicken is one of my favorite PW recipes. So delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I use pork tenderloin instead of pork shoulder- it's way less fatty and turns out just as good (if not better). I will have to try the white chili casserole, looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cow that white chili casserole looks AMAZING. I can't wait to try that! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like our menu last week! Chilaquiles on Saturday, PW's tequila lime chicken on Sunday. YUM to both!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your meal planning posts! Can you tell us the recipe for the Chicken stuffed with Herbed Goat cheese and chives? Sounds like a good creation! I don't know where I saw it, but I came across a meal planning site e-mealz.com that I was looking into doing with my bf. Have you ever tried something like that?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made the PW tequila lime chicken and the white bean cassarole this week after reading this post! The tequila lime chicken was a lot of work for not so much flavor, but I think if I marinade it over night it would be better. We LOVE the white bean chili recipe! I made the whole recipe and we'll be eating it... often this week. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made the white chili casserole for my sister and her bf tonight at your recommendation. It was a huge hit. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!