Monday, September 27, 2010

Menu "Kate-Was-Too-Tired-to-Grocery-Shop-or-Cook-So-We-Had-Greek-Food-&-Now-My-Menu's-Late" Monday

So.  Yeah.  It's Monday.  Which means yesterday was a big, fat Recipe Planning Fail.

However, if you were anywhere near North Texas yesterday, I think you'll agree that the weather was simply too delicious to fight the crowds at the supermarket.  Evs and I noshed al fresco on souvlaki and artichoke hummus and I sipped red wine sans impulse to add an ice cube or four.  There was also a sweater involved.  And a park stroll.  And a snuggle under the duvet with the pup for a girlie movie (Letters to Juliet... I was hoping for "brainlessly cute fluff" and got "painful dialog atop a tremendously atrocious soundtrack.") while the better half rounded out the weekend's football watching extravaganza.  

But better late than never, yes?  Yes! 

Monday: Spinach Linguine with Walnut-Arugula Pesto 
- to be served with shredded rotisserie chicken 

Tuesday: Mexican Taco Pizza
- saw this idea in September's Cooking Light but there will be lots-o-modifications in my kitchen! 

Wednesday: Cider-Glazed Chicken with Pecan Rice
- to be served with broccoli 

Thursday: Tortilla Pie with Chicken

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hits & Misses from Last Week's Menu

Tomato-Almond Pesto with Butternut Squash Ravioli (here



That pretty much sums up the general He Said/She Said feelings on the recipe... I wanted to stick my face in the pasta pot and eat this one, trough-style, whilst it was a bit dainty for Evs.  He ate it, cautiously complimented, and took the leftovers for lunch, but he wasn't executing joyous pique turns through the living room in celebration of Complete Culinary Victory.  Good thing I make the menus.  Modifications:  I used yellow cherry tomatoes instead of plum tomatoes (ratio: 4 cherries to every 1 plum) and I was quite low on Parmesan so I threw in what I had (less than 1/4 c.) and called it a "calorie reduction."  Shockingly, I didn't miss the cheese much!  

Oven-Baked Chimichangas (combined/modified from here and here)  The end result of my ingredient list looked a little something like this: 

- 8 oz. grilled chicken, shredded
- 1/2 T. cumin
- 1 t. dried oregano
- 1 t. chili powder 
- 1 t. garlic powder
- 1/2 t. kosher salt
- 1/2 t. black pepper
- 1 can of spicy black beans, rinsed
- 4 green onions (green parts), chopped. 
- 3/4 c. jalapeño salsa verde 
- 1 c. shredded cheese (I used half sharp cheddar, half mozzarella) 
- 6 tortillas (I used chile flavored flour) 

Mix everything together and roll into the tortillas like a burrito - place seam-down on a cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.  I had some trouble keeping my chimichangas from unrolling since my tortillas were small.  I ended up rolling them more like tacos (so that the seam was up and partially open) and shoving them all in the bread loaf pan.  Yumiliscious!  These are pretty much a variation on my favorite tostadas... very similar flavor and you could use lots of different fillings with the same spices (ie: substitute taco meant for the chicken; ditch the meat altogether and add zucchini and squash and corn... endless possibilities!).  

6 comments:

  1. You'll love the spinach linguine with walnut and arugula - I've made it several times and its so freakin simple and delicious. In her second everyday food cookbook there is a recipe that has a creamier sauce - not your thing since you hate creamy sauces, but it's an interesting variation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cider glazed chicken sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want that tortilla pie to hop in my oven. Now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yesterday was a truly beautiful day! And those recipes you've got lined up for this week sound amazing--and so "fall like". Sigh. Finally some cool weather!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beware the Mexican pizza from CL - we made it and it was meh. Plus there is nothing to keep the ingredients on the pizza. There is one in Food and Wine from Spike the guy on Top Chef that is very, very good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So. Made the chimichangas last night (made your recipe above). SO.GOOD. Definitely a keeper in our house. Thanks for posting!!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!