Sunday, September 12, 2010

Menu Sunday

Here in the Big D, we're enjoying lots of college football, lots of The Hunger Games trilogy, and lots of relaxation.  The heinous humidity is a different story, but we'll let that one slide so long as Fall promises not to come too late.  

Looking forward to munching on these yummies next week....

Sunday: Peanut Crusted Chicken
- from the Everyday Food: Fresh Food Fast cookbook
- this is a staple in our household; to be served with whole grain rice pilaf and veggies

Monday: Cornflake Crusted Halibut
- we'll skip the aioli and probably the milk as well; to be served with green beans 

Tuesday: Tomato-y Tacos

Wednesday: Tomato & Sausage Risotto 
- will use Central Market's spicy turkey sausage 

ThursdayBarbecue Stuffed Potatoes
- from Cooking Light 
- plan on experimenting with these to see if I can do something more "twice baked" 

Hits & Misses from Last Week's Menu

Bow Tie Lasagna (here) - This was my 2nd time to make this recipe, and I foresee it becoming a regular in my repertoire!  So incredibly easy and yummy as can be... I've dubbed this "Adult Hamburger Helper."  Modifications - I don't really modify this recipe but I do use whole wheat pasta and 96% (or 98% if it's available) lean ground beef.  I also use fat free sour cream.  I took the comments regarding pasta sauce to heart and used homemade... that's where most of the flavor comes from, so be sure to use a sauce you really love.  

Tequila Lime Chicken (here) - It's probably no coincidence that my two favorite meals from last week have The Pioneer Woman's mark on them... Can that woman screw anything up in the kitchen?  I admit to being slightly wary whilst blending up the marinade... Smelled like my freshman dorm's bathroom after a Fratastic Fiesta at Pancho Villa's.  But I powered onward and was not disappointed the next day after the grill worked it's magic.  Modifications - Again, not many... But I did use chicken tenders because that's what I had on hand, and I think the size contributed to the intense flavor.  And I soaked those suckers overnight and all day at work, making for a good 20 hours of marination.  I heard some rumblings from folks who thought they end result was bland.... mine definitely were not!  

Black Bean & Chicken Chilaquiles (here) - While this recipe had a lot of negative reviews ("bland;" "mushy"), I thought I could modify it according to the good reviews and come up with a healthier version of one of my favorite Mexican dishes.  BIG MISTAKE.  Poaching the chicken in stock laced with cumin, chipotle sauce, and smoked paprika did not help the blandness.  And toasting the tortillas did not help the mushiness.  Skip this altogether!  I should have just sucked it up, logged a few more miles on the tredmill, and rocked out with Emily & Nick's recipe for chilaquiles.  Lesson learned! 

I had a few requests for my Chicken Stuffed with Goat Cheese & Chives recipe... It is pretty darn easy! 

Ingredients
- 2 chicken breasts
- small bunch of green onions, chopped
- herbed goat cheese (or add Italian herbs to plain)
- 1 T red pepper flakes

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Butterfly chicken breasts.  In a small mixing bowl, mix goat cheese, green onions, and red pepper flakes with a spoon.  Spread cheese mixture along inside of butterflied chicken; secure with a toothpick.  Bake on a cookie sheet spritzed with olive oil for 15 - 30 minutes.  {I give this huge variation in time because my oven is horribly uncalibrated... even with my oven thermometer's help.}

9 comments:

  1. A few months ago I tried out PW's Tequila Lime Chicken, but when I made the marinade I thought I was going to barf, so I threw it out. I think if she had mentioned in her post that the marinade would cause memories of "excessive" nights in college to rush back--and not in a good way--I would have powered through as well. Maybe I'll have to give it another shot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ever commented before, but I just wanted to say that I really appreciate your Menu Sundays and your reviews from the previous week. I made the white chili casserole from your post a week ago- yum- and I'll probably try one of the PW recipes this week.
    I just moved to DC from Texas, and although I'm a Rice Owl and not a Longhorn, I love getting my Texas fix from your blog. Carry on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! These look awesome. I have starred. Dying to try the peanut chicken and the corn flake halibut.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The goat cheese stuffed chicken recipe looks great.

    My go-to chilaquiles recipes are one of the ones in the Mexico: One Plate at a Time cookbook or this one: http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/view?recipeID=143

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the sunday menus! I am trying to get better at planning ahead my cooking adventures for the week. How do you store all of your recipes you want to make? I have a gmail folder that i try to email them too, but it is getting too big to go through them all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Menu Sunday! While I don't really have anyone to cook for now, in December after I get married and move into the apartment, I will definitely have to try out some of these recipes! :) Especially the Chicken Stuffed with Goat Cheese & Chives. That sounds delicious!

    I'm also a HUGE list-maker, so I will without a doubt be starting up my own list like this when the time comes, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our chilaquiles recipe is absolutely worth the extra miles on the treadmill and the extra time in the kitchen. I promise.

    And I think I need to try your peanut crusted chicken. (Or pistachio, perhaps?) Sounds similar to our favorite pretzel crusted version served with mustard dipping sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've gotta try this PW's chicken everyone is raving about!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Husband and I love PW's Bow Tie Lasagna! We actually use 0% Plain Greek Yogurt instead of sour cream, for a little extra protein and to make it more healthy...and it tastes just as good :)

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!