Friday, October 29, 2010

el Dia de los Muertos

After three very full weekends, the Evs and I are quite psyched just to take a breather and enjoy the new casa for the next couple of days.  That's right, no big Halloween plans for these condiments:


... just enjoying the Fall weather (perhaps it's time to purchase my Aboretum membership?), putting a big pot of turkey chili to simmer on the stove, and handing out the boocoos of Halloween candy I unsuccessfully hid from myself picked up for all the neighborhood kiddos.  

But!  Fear not!  Total lameness will not prevail this weekend!  Tomorrow, I'm baking up some pan de muertos, and, if we can both shake these dreadful colds, we'll be boogieing on down to Sangria Fest (from 7 PM to 9 PM at our local Lakewood Whole Foods' patio) in honor of el Dia de los Muertos* (Day of the Dead, for all you gringos)!  

* Officially, el Dia de los Muertos is commemorated yearly  on Nov. 2





As a child, the little calaveras used to give me the heebie-jeebies, but you can't take a serious interest in the study of Spanish language and culture without developing a fondness for the mini, skeletal dudes and dudettes! Not only is the pageantry of the holiday beautiful (I'm a sucker for anything involving marigolds!), a day set aside especially for celebrating - instead of mourning - passed loved ones is kind of lovely, wouldn't you agree?

And look!  I just may have found our costumes for next year...

Happy Halloween!  and Feliz Dia de los Muertos! 




4 comments:

  1. there is a really cool etsy shop that has lots of dia de los muertos things.

    REBrown
    rekdbrown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used the figures in the last photo as cake toppers at my wedding which was held on dia de los muertos... that imagery is very special to our relationship too.

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!