Sunday, October 31, 2010

Menu Sunday

Happy Halloween, gouls and goulies!  No costumes for us this year, but we did have some Day of the Dead Fun in sangria form last night!  Now I'm sitting next to a gigantic bucket of candy, watching Bridezillas (a fright fest in and of itself, yes?), waiting for Game 4 to begin and for some freakin' trick-or-treaters to knock on our door (cue the Three's Company theme!).  


Besides the 200 mini packets of M&Ms we'll be munching if the kiddos fail to show, here's what's on the menu this week:

Sunday (today!): Hatch Turkey Chili and leftover Hatch cornbread muffins 
- chili modified from Williams-Sonoma One Pot Meals; my own cornbread recipe

Monday: Tortellini with Chicken and Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- roasted red pepper sauce recipe here

Tuesday: Spicy Pork Tamales with Mexican Rice and Black Beans + Pan de Muerto
- a little Mexican menu in honor of Dia de los Muertos!
- tamales courtesy of Whole Foods; pan de muerto recipe from All Recipes 

Wednesday: Hungarian Beef Stew
- from Williams-Sonoma One Pot Meals

Thursday: Slow-Cooker Red Beans & Rice with Spicy Andouille Chicken Sausage
- original recipe courtesy of Southern Living - view my modifications here

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hits & Misses from Last Week's Menu:

I was somewhat of a sick mess last weekend but did get to have some fun in the kitchen... Pioneer Woman's Corn Chowder with Chiles was ridiculously yummy!  I used Hatch chiles instead of the diced green chiles and only made half the recipe so I wouldn't be tempted by heavy-creamy goodness all week.  I did have to add twice the amount of cornstarch and allow the liquid to boil down a bit before the chowder thickened.


While Martha Stewart's Pasta Cake wasn't quite as yum-o as I hoped, it was a total blast to make!


I forgot to purchase red peppers to roast, so I substituted cherry tomatoes.  The cake itself was adorable and the taste was good... it just needed something.  I think I would have been happy as a clam if I had made some marinara in which to dip my fork-fulls!  This also was not great reheated the next day.  Next time, I'll make this for a crowd (it'd be an impressive ladies' brunch dish!) and whip up some arrabbiata sauce "frosting!"


5 comments:

  1. But can I ask you to do an entire post on Hatch chiles? We have the canned ones at my local Whole Foods. I bought some, wholly because I remember you talking about them. But I sense you are referring to something else that I missed somewhere along the way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am impressed that you do red beans and rice during the week - that is usually a Saturday football watching recipe for us because it can take so long to get it right! That corn chowder looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever thought about writing a book a la David Sedaris? You're so funny. "Besides the 200 mini packets of M&Ms we'll be munching if the kiddos fail to show, here's what's on the menu this week." You always, always make me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The corn chowder looks sooooo yummy. You are so impressive with all of your cooking throughout the week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. gave you a little shout out in my vlog!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!