Tuesday, November 30, 2010

an anniversary

I had this whole post written commemorating the one year marker of the demise of my illustrious (tralala!) stint in private practice (aka: it's been 365 days since I parted ways with my old firm)... but, BLAH, I reread and deleted.  Can we say self-indulgent and overly dramatic and perhaps even indicative of my semi-millennial status?

No thanks.  Pass.

The gist?  

I lost my job.  It was totally sucky.  I did some ugly-crying.  I did an embarrassingly impressive amount of day drinking.  I wore the seat out of my yoga pants.  Up In The Air premiered 3 weeks after D(ismissal) Day and was, like, totally all the more relevant to my life OMG.  I learned the ever important "don't spend your Christmas bonus before you have it, fuckwit count your chickens before they hatch" lesson...the hard way.  My mother repeated chipper refrains such as "Keep Your Chin Up!" and (her all-time favorite) "Time Will Tell!" into the phone each night.  I read self-help books and attempted to be introspective whilst picking up other people's dry-cleaning.  I explored my own city.  I watched an absurd amount of HGTV. I completed zero actual home and/or garden improvement projects.  I kept Evs' section full-up on snickerdoodles. I soul searched... Or whatever.

Three months later, I took a big ol' pay cut and went to work in an office sans Keurig / ergonomical office furniture / fancy holiday parties.  No unlimited supply of diet coke.  Buh-bye 100 packs of multi-colored Post-Its.  And the guaranteed clean restroom?  Is now behind two sets of dead bolts.

I have never been happier... professionally - and somewhat by extension - personally.

Turns out, the stars will align... the universe will provide...

Time Will Tell.  Whattayaknow.

And if I get any more loquacious than that, this post starts to fart lollipops and sunshine and badly-cliched paradigms.

So we'll just leave it at Cheers to 12 Months of Change.  For the better.

Thanks a bundle, Kismet - I owe you one.  

24 comments:

  1. Sometimes changes make the world of difference, sorry you lost your job but happy it brought you to a happier place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny how life can change so fast, and although it's terribly scary, we land on our feet and much happier than before. I'm happy for you friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As someone who is currently balancing the pros and cons of private practice vs gov. work this is so refreshing to hear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers to that!

    You are way too funny...Its it weird how some changes in life come at the worst of times but at the best thing that has ever happened.... Congrats for the year of new beginnings!

    XOXO
    Yours Truly

    read me: www.lahteadah.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mother's favorite refrain is "everything happens for a reason." And, more often than not, I find it's true. Happy for you and all this past year has brought to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was "funemployed" for 9 months, and my experience - right up to the returning to the workforce with a fat paycut - mirrors yours!

    ps- You're a very clever writer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So true... all of those "time will tell" cliches sound so painfully annoying when someone says them while you're going through a major change or challenge. But then 99% of the time, things do work out for the best, and after the fact you wonder (or at least I do) why you couldn't have been more confident and at-ease about the transition or the issue in the first place. I'm happy to hear everything has worked out for you and you've found your calling in the meantime!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love a sentence that includes both "loquacious" and "fart lollipops." So glad you've found a great job that makes you happy! You give me hope that maybe my law degree wasn't a waste of three years of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! I'm so glad everything worked out for the better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was right there with you, I lost my job in Public Accounting last year FOUR days before Christmas and I was in the same Yoga Pant wearing rut as you until I landed my current job in March and I am SO much happier. Amazing how life throws things at you that you think are terrible, but end up being great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this post. Congrats to you for finding your way through a tough time and obviously coming out better in the end because of it! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Again, thank you so much for the fantastic e-mail after my own D-Day. I'm still looking for my next opportunity but you give me hope - and great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this. Everything about it! So fun to be on the other end of this situation isn't it?!?! Love your thoughts, always funny!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad everything worked out for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on being happy with your job. That is a wonderful thing!

    Spending your bonus before you got it reminds me of Clark Griswold paying for a pool counting on his bonus and getting the jam of month club instead of his usual bonus. Don't you wish you had cousin Eddie to bring your old boss to you wrapped in a bow. Or not...

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This post made me laugh out loud. Just to add another cliche to the mix, things always work out how they're supposed to! ha! But it's true...

    And when one door closes...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I already told you on Twitter, but I am so, so happy for you that things worked out so well. Hopefully we'll see the same kinds of things happen with our new situation.

    I'm so glad you're doing what you love. Cheesy as that is (oh cheese!), not very many people can say that. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was wondering if you know where to buy a nice looking smaller artificial Christmas tree. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Tiffany - Have you tired Target or Home Depot?

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!