Friday, December 31, 2010

Decade in Review

Having been born nearish to the beginning of 1980, the end of a decade often marks the end of a personal era for me... the 80s: my early childhood... the 90s: my adolescence.

2001 to 2010... an entrance into adulthood.

I make it sound super dramatic when I list it out like that.

Which, really, do you expect anything less?

Nah.

Anyhoo, for nostalgia's sake... a stumble stroll down memory lane...

In the past ten years, I've...

Graduated.  Thrice.


 Lived in... Austin, TX; Winston-Salem, NC; Sevilla, Spain; San Antonio, TX; Waco, TX; and Dallas, TX.


Traveled to... Ireland, Italy, Portugal, Paris, New York (multiple times), NOLA (twice), Mexico (varias veces), Vegas, (twice), Pasadena (twice - Hook 'Em!), Myrtle Beach (so many times), the Bahamas, Memphis, West Virginia, Greece, Thailand, Turks & Caicos, Napa, San Francisco, Oregon, Colorado... {to name a few}


Realized that holding tight to a handful of close, wonderful, true friends is infinitely more precious than oodles of popularity. 



Fell in love. On several occasions.

Had my heart broken.  On several occasions.

Walked 60 miles for breast cancer.


Ate too little.  Drank too much.  Ate too much.  Struggled.  Learned to love and appreciate all that good food and good drink can be without chipping away at my health or my enjoyment.  Struggled some more.

Gained and retained fluency in Spanish.

Dyed my hair blond, brunette, red, and, um, slightly burgundy.


Held jobs as a master-gift-wrapper and bow-maker, a pizza waitress, a cocktail waitress, a horse-back-riding / summer camp instructor, a steak waitress, a bartender, an attorney, a personal assistant, and an attorney again. 

Met a boy in a red cap.

Took a massive leap of faith in the form of a very expensive plane ticket.


Said good-bye to my first best friend.


Said "Okay. Hello. You're cute. Maybe I'm ready." to another best friend.


Said Yes. 


Said I Do. 

Witnessed six very dear friends say I Do. 


Rented my first apartment.  Rented our first house.  Bought our first house. 

Found a job I thought I loved.  Lost it.  Found a job I really love. 

Got published!  Well, kinda. 


Started a blog.  Turned my little world a little bit upside-down. All (well, almost all) for the better.


Discovered a passion for cooking.  Discovered that I hate when people talk about their "passions."  Gave myself a pass. 

Survived the swine flu.  Survived Dallas' mini "Snomagedon."


Realized marriage is HARD.  Realized we are worth it.

Whispered "I love you, thank you, and I'll see you soon."


And learned, experienced, loved, hated, laughed at, cried through a million other crazy, terrible, joyous moments.  

Cheers to the past ten years. 

And... Cheers to the next. 

22 comments:

  1. LOVE this post. This is one of those times when I wish I could bold and underline in comments, because just capitalizing love doesn't seem to convey my feelings.

    It looks like the past ten years have been good to you. It's amazing how much changes in that short period of time. We grow and love and hurt and change, and it's a crazy feeling reflecting back on it all.

    Cheers to you and the new year :) May it be full of great things for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great decade review. Cheers to another fabulous year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post, and I love YOU! Wishing you the best ever New Year, Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely blog post, Kate. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I tried to capture 2010 earlier today and had a hard time. The decade would be even harder! I love this post.

    Also, as a NOLA girl, I love the Huge A$$ Beer photo :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kate, I love this post! So much to reflect on - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is it sad that this post made me tear up a little? Very heartfelt. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful 10 years!!!!

    SO happy you made it to Screen Gems in Wilmington, NC!!! Dawson's Creek was my FAVORITE TV show!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aaaand now I'm crying. Not sure why I'm crying over YOUR decade but we will blame the hormones :-) I always love reading your posts and this might be my fav. Wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh! This is great! the last decade has been lovely! He's to a decade more of joyous occassions!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful post!! And I love all the pictures. You've had a great life. Happy New Year to you and your hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this post! Sounds like you've had a meaningful ten years.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post, Kate! Happy new year to you and Evan.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A wonderful trip down Memory Lane. Loved the photos as well as the words. XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such an awesome post. I got all teary! Hope the next ten years are equally awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  16. absolute fabulousness. happy new year, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy New Decade! This was an AWESOME post!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This might possibly be my favorite post of yours EVER.

    I'm a little choked up. I don't know why.

    I seriously, seriously loved this.

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!