Tuesday, December 28, 2010

from the other side

Well.

We made it through Christmas.

It wasn't the merriest, or the brightest, or the most boisterous.

Some of our favorite treats just didn't get baked; many of our presents were hastily wrapped; we attended Christmas Eve services in jeans.

Of course none of those things mattered... Even though someone very, very integral wasn't there to carve the turkey, take surprise photos of gift-opening, regale us with stories at the dinner table, or give us a big squeeze before bedtime... we were all together


{at the risk of sounding like a cinnamon gum commercial} We lingered a little longer around the fire, hugged each other a little tighter, were more liberal with our "I love yous."   

I even found myself laughing and grinning without an internal reminder every now and again.  Especially during a rousing game of Trivial Pursuit... featuring a gameboard from the early 1970s and a certain terrier with a penchant for tracking down feminine products.  

{Just awesome.  So glad she's mine.}

I remain - and am especially now, more than ever - so very thankful for the family my grandparents created, and for the opportunity for us all to gather around one another for Christmas. 


And yes, Santa was good to me... 'twas a very Culinary Christmas, with Mark and Ruth and Cuisinart and KitchenAid, Oh My!  Menu Planning should be lots of fun in the New Year... 

I hope y'all had a peaceful holiday... I remain - and am especially now, more than ever - thankful for this community as well.  Stay safe as you ring in the New Year. We're planning to greet 2011 with full-bellies, a good movie, and a stay-at-home prosecco toast... Party hats optional / PJs required! 

7 comments:

  1. I feel ya...for three years straight (not this year, thank God) a grandparent passed away the day before Thanksgiving. It really gives a different perspective to the holidays. I'm glad you guys made it through OK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're hanging in there ... Here's to a 2011 filled with only happy surprises! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the picture of all of your stockings, too cute! I'm so happy to hear you still enjoyed the holidays, you remain in my thoughts and prayers! Happy New Years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad y'all made it through. I know how rough those types of holidays can be. But, on a superficial note (after all, that's what I'm here for), it sounds like you got some fabulous gifts! I got an ice cream maker attachment for my KitchenAid and am SERIOUSLY considering making some sorbet even though it's freezing right now. Ha.

    I hope 2011 greets you with wonderful memories and joy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You said it perfectly. XXXOOO

    ReplyDelete
  6. we have similar plans for the new year bells! hope you have a nice time. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. A belated Merry Christmas, and happy New Year -- we had nearly-identical plans for NYE, and I have to say I think it was my favorite one yet!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!