Wednesday, December 8, 2010

holly jolly party attire

Until today, I've been stressing a tad over my outfit options for our upcoming shindigs.  But I think - *hope* - I've got some good ensembles pinned down...

First up, we have Evs' Section's Christmas Party... a "business casual" affair at the home of one of the firm's partners.  Let me say right off the bat that "business casual" parties can suck it.  My ENTIRE LIFE is business casual; I like my fiestas with more pizazz.  Also, if my husband's place of employment renders me a BigLaw Widow 98% of the year, the least it can do is throw a holiday party that allows for SEQUINS.  But, whatevs.  I've dealt.  But there better be a bitchin' cheese platter.  Anyhoo, here's what I've come up with...

{Ann Taylor Loft - Floral Twisted Hem Skirt}

... with black tights, black patent platform pumps, a black turtle neck, and a raspberry statement necklace.  Prim-ish, appropriate, but with a teensy bit of snazzzzz.  

On deck, it's My Department's Christmas Party.  Held at our director's (who is Awesomepants) home / cocktail attire... but I'm thinking more "snappy, sparkly, fun casual-cocktail" (apologies for the Sorostitute Speak, but it comes in handy every now and again) than straight-up COCKTAIL.  Two frocks are in the running...


Silk tunic dress with black opaque footless tights (NOT the gray that I wore last year for my birthday... VAG ALERT), gunmetal metallic cage heels, and gold jewelry. 



... OR a raspberry strapless bubble-hem dress (that I wore the night we got engaged... 3 years ago today!!), with black tights, black patent platform pumps, a pashmina, and statement earrings.  {Also Note: The Anti-Sausageness of My Arm in Law School.  Le sigh.}


I think either will fit the bill nicely... any preferences, lovely readers?

Finally... Our BLS Buds Party!  Dress code is pretty much Whatever... but I'll be sporting something similar to the dressiness level immediately above.  Hopefully, this Anlo dress I ordered from RueLaLa fits the bill...


... with black opaque tights and over-the-knee gray boots and gold jewelry!  If the dress arrives and isn't a stunner, I'll go with the blue print tunic dress above!  

Do y'all stress over party attire?  Did you spring for any new outfits for this year's holiday season?

15 comments:

  1. Love the raspberry and emerald dresses! They're festive without being over the top holiday-ish. Can I hire you to be my December stylist?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so I'm thinking my black skinny GAP cigarette pants with a red beaded three quarter length shirt and festive flats for the engagement celebration dinner on Friday night. Sweater, jeans, and cute flats for 1-year birthday party Saturday afternoon, black skirt and cute top with tights and heels for Chirsitmas cocktail party Saturday night. Still haven't figured out what I'm wearing to church for the baptism on Sunday, or to our annual Christmas chili party. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it all. I love the colors. You know I'm a sucker for color. That skirt is just gorgeous--and, it just so happens that Anthro has a gorgeous statement necklace that has a lot of raspberry in it--so pretty.

    Gah, holiday party attire stresses me out too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous picks! I absolutely love the emerald dress, it will look great with black tights. I may have to go take another look at Loft's sale, that skirt is adorable! Have fun at all of your holiday parties!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that new dress from Anlo! And I think I have the bubble hem dress if it's from BR. Great choices, and I'd say the strapless raspberry wins out just a little. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. love all of these, in particular, the strapless rasberry! I always want to purchase a new dress every holiday, but I should prob avoid anthro recycle eh?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with Emily and need major help in the Holiday styling department.I love that skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally freak out about what to wear! We are going to a Christmas party at the JL Provisionals director's (or whatever her title is, Pledge Mom) house which is a freaking amazing/I'd say close to 10,000 square foot/magazine photoshoot style house. Oh and I have no clue what to wear. Sparkly dress? Black pants and heels? Something totally different?! Clueless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i looooove that anlo dress! we had that dress in the boutique where i used to work- I really think you will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy engage-aversary! I love all the outfits you picked out...so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the raspberry. And laughing over the vag alert.

    Angela/Pretty in Orange

    ReplyDelete
  12. Facing the same many parties attire conundrum. Why all in one weekend, PLANS?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would do the tunic dress for the holiday party. You look great in it and you don't have to fool with the strapless top 3 drinks in. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so jealous of all your fabulous parties! My husband's company only does something for employees (lame!) and my work party was really really casual.

    REBrown
    rekdbrown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I say the raspberry dress for your firm party. and that emerald dress is le fabulous.

    Please post pictures as this new girl in town has zero holiday parties to attend and es bummed. out. I need pretty pictures to make me smile. =)

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!