Monday, December 6, 2010

Menu Monday, plus

Day late, I know, I know.

Yesterday, we kicked off a week of festivities with (literally) the Granddaddy Of Them All... my Daddy Jim's 90th Birthday!*

*Photos actually taken at my grandparents' 65th wedding anniversary celebration in November

As far as My Favorite People Ever go, Daddy Jim belongs up there with Evs and my parentals and Buddy the Elf.  He's been a loving husband and father for 65 and 61 years, respectively; a doting grandfather for 28 years; and a brilliant and caring physician for well over half a century.  I am so blessed to have him in my life, still laughing and dispensing old stories.  He promised me yesterday that he'd stick around to celebrate more birthdays and I plan on holding him to it!  

We have three other parties to attend this week (including one we are hosting for some law school folk... stay tuned for more menu details!), so my weekday cooking plans are a bit sparse...

Monday: Chicken Tetrazzini 
- modified from Martha Stewart (I'll ax the mushrooms / double the peas, and will only make half the recipe)
- with veggies or green salad

Tuesday: Chicken-Sausage and Bean Casserole with Sage
- also Martha (will also be halved)
- more veggies / green salad

Wednesday: Last Week's Tilapia 
- I ended up having dinner out with a friend one night last week, so our almond encrusted tilapia from last week's menu is sitting pretty in the freezer for this week! 

Thursday: Evs' Firms' Christmas Party

Friday: My Department's Christmas Party

Saturday: Our BLS Holiday Party! (menu to come)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hits & Misses from Last Week's Menu....

The hands-down star of our table lineup was Maggie's Chicken Cashew Chili.  Y'all, she ain't lying when she calls this a life-changer!  I'm a HUGE mole fan and this had that perfect combination of smoky chile flavor with just a hint of chocolate!  I did use rotisserie chicken instead because I was running short on time, but I don't *think* I missed out on any flavor.  Next time, I will blend the diced tomatoes, just because I'm not a fan of tomato chunks in my soup (although, perhaps if I had cooked my chicken in the chili - thus simmering it for longer - the tomatoes might have broken down a bit more... things to consider for the future!). 

I have high hopes for all of the Pioneer Woman's recipes.  I especially look forward to her pasta dishes.  But, sadly, the Springy Pasta Shells were a bit of a let down.  To be fair, this could have been my fault... I halved the recipe (as I'm apt to do with all casserole-type dishes when it's just me and the Evster), but added some shredded chicken, and I don't think I had enough of the ricotta mixture to make the entire thing nice and moist and cheesy.  And I also used skim ricotta... explicitly against the directions.  Maybe that's just what I get for giving in to waistline-vanity!  

3 comments:

  1. This is the only thing I can think about when I hear Chicken Tetrazzini

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLbyzSerzNw&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah, Christmas parties galore!

    I aim to make at least one meal a week lately and I think this week will be Maggie's! YUM.

    Your Daddy Jim is precious!

    Buddy is also one of my favs :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, I've had A LOT of disappointments with pasta dishes from Pioneer Women. It's not just you.

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!