Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Top 10 in '10: Kitchen Antics

Continuing onward with my little endeavor to memorialize 2010 in a way that only a Serial List-Maker knows, how...

... 10 Favorites from This Year's Culinary Experiments: 

(1) Hatch Turkey Chili with Hatch Cornbread Muffins. {my recipe} The perfect recipe to ring in cooler weather and celebrate my beloved Hatch chile!  Bonus: lean ground turkey makes this a very healthy option.


(2) Homemade Pizza. {dough recipe courtesy of Pioneer Woman} {my pizza sauce recipe} With both Ms. Drummond's recipe for pizza dough perfection and my own sauce concoction committed to memory, I was a pizza baking machine this year!  BBQ chicken, pesto chicken, classic margherita, and spicy hamburger varieties all graced my oven racks! 


(3) Roasted Red Pepper Sauce. {my recipe} Mix it up (I promise your kitchen will smell heavenly in the process) and slap it on everything you can get your paws on... delicious on all types of pasta, grilled chicken or shrimp, even presented as a dip for veggies (chill first)!  


(4) Spaghetti with Turkey Meatballs.  {original recipe courtesy of Martha Stewart's Everyday Food} {my notes} One of my new go-tos for company... the ultimate Italian standard with a heart-healthy twist! 


(5) White Chile Casserole / Tortilla Pie. {casserole courtesy of Tasty Kitchen} {my notes} {pie courtesy of Everyday Food} {my notes} These are highly similar recipes, and both pack a punch on the Cold Weather Comfort Scale. The Tortilla Pie is a bit more calorie-friendly and a bit easier to throw together... but the White Chile Casserole is a bit more dynamic!  I'll be turning to both winter after winter! 


(6) Cider Glazed Chicken. {courtesy of Cooking Light} {my notes} $7+ for a vat of apple cider I only need half a cup of?  TOTALLY WORTH IT.  I've never made the rice that accompanies this recipe, but I have it on good authority that it is also yummy.  I usually go with roasted asparagus risotto which, I'll admit, is of the semi-homemade variety (Archer Farms Asapragus Risotto box mix + roasted fresh asparagus, chopped).  


(7) Tomato & Sausage Risotto. {courtesy of Smitten Kitchen} {my notes} As with all risotto, this is a huge labor of love, but so worth it!  The flavors are so bright and complex (overtly obnoxious sentence alert!).  And, while I love the spicy chicken sausage, this dish is just as delightful meatless.


(8) Chicken Cashew Chili. {courtesy of Maggie} {my notes}  A true life-changer. I speak the truth.  I passed this one along to my padre and he implores you to scoop up the remnants of this miracle alongside a fried egg.  I told you... life-changer. 


(9) Fettuccine with Spinach Pesto. {courtesy of Everyday Food} I made this so many times this summer {with either rotisserie chicken, grilled chicken or grilled shrimp... and, sometimes, roasted cherry tomatoes) that Evs requested a reprieve.  I'd it eat it all day, every day, May through August myself! 


(10) Toasty Chicken Tostadas. {my recipe} Endless possible variations... chicken, taco beef, squash, broccoli... everything is fair game with this combination of spices! 


Did you discover any foodie wonders this year?

7 comments:

  1. What a fun post! My husband and I have been trying all sorts of new recipes this year, and most of them we've loved. But I'd have to say that the one we could both eat several times a week is pasta with prosciutto and peas (or P Cubed as we like to call it). My husband won't eat peas any other time, but goes bananas for this meal.

    It's a recipe from dear Martha (http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/pasta-with-prosciutto-and-peas), and I wrote about it here:

    http://mattmandymitch.blogspot.com/2010/11/p-cubed.html.

    Only use about a third of the cream she asks for, and don't skip the lemon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is making me hungry! Especially that Fettuccine with Spinach Pesto!

    I may just have to try out that recipe myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhh this looks delicious! I will have to try your pizza dough. I tried PW's dough recipe, but instead used them for calzones. I found it to be a bit tough (but that might have been a personal problem). However, using it for pizza dough might be the perfect texture. I'll have to give it a try.

    I did a similar post recently too (and featured a lot fo PW's receipes- isn't she the best?) http://www.duolynoted.com/2010/12/top-ten-recipes-of-2010.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely want to try out that cider chicken. I think my very favorite recipe that I tried this year would have to be this Tom Kha Gai from Sunset (http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000001860172) so easy and perfect for when you're feeling a bit under the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most of my great meals from this year have come from your blog posts. Thanks for sharing all your wonderful recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for reminding me that I still need to make your roasted red pepper sauce and cider glazed chicken and Maggie's chicken cashew chili!

    We tried so many new recipes this year -- standouts include Oriental pork stir-fry, chilaquiles, focaccia bread, and pumpkin oatmeal cookies.

    Cheers to another year of culinary adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoop whoop! Just saw the chili here. I thought only T-Man had made it thus far. I loooooove the stuff!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!