Sunday, January 2, 2011

Menu Sunday

The very first weekly menu of 2011... thrilling, right?  I know - I'm about to pee-my-pants with excitement, too, it's okay.

In all seriousness, with three pretty-pretty-pretty new cookbooks gracing my countertop, I am pretty damn pumped to get back into the swing of meal planning.*  Hopefully, I'll soon have as many favorites in the New Year as I did in the last!

*You might notice the beginning-of-the-year menus being heavy on the Cooking Light side due to those pesky holiday season / funeral food pounds!  Sorry, Pioneer Woman - you have officially been curbed, along with my workweek wine-intake, for a bit! I'll be focusing on super low-cal breakfasts and lunches so I can "splurge" a little at dinner, but you'll also find my main dish supper portions to be smaller and surrounded by lots of green veggies and salad. 

Monday: Spicy Chicken Pasta
- with green salad
- {this is a Cooking Light recipe from my new cookbook, but, unfortunately, I couldn't find it online}

Tuesday: Bourbon Glazed Pork Chops
- with Spicy Roasted Potatoes & Asparagus

Wednesday: {Kate's Night Out!}

Thursday: Steak Diane
- with Green Beans with Roasted Onion Vinaigrette

FridaySouthern Falafel with Avocado & Pita

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hits & Misses from Last Week's Menu...

Although I didn't have an official menu last week, I did do some cooking (including this Easy Schnitzel... fabulous!), but I thought I'd branch out from the Menu Sunday Norm and share one of my two favorite go-to appetizers** with you.   I served these spinach balls on NYE and always receive rave reviews when I show up with the little green suckers in hand!

**Samma blogged my other party standard, Sausage Cups, last week!  

Spinach Balls

Ingredients
- 5 packages (10oz each) frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed of excess water
- 4 c. cornbread stuffing mix, like Pepperidge Farm
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1.5 c (or, uh, 2) of Parmesan, shredded
- 2 small onions, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- a few good sprinkles of Kosher salt
- a few good grinds of cracked pepper
- 1 T. red pepper flakes

Mix all ingredients together (a stand-mixer on a lower setting works best!).  Cover mixing bowl tightly with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours (I like to mix the "batter" the day before and chill overnight).  Roll into balls - slightly smaller than a golfball.  Bake on greased cookie sheets (or use parchment paper) at 350 degrees, until golden brown - about 40 minutes.  Serve warm. {Makes around 70-80 spinach balls.}


Happy Cooking in 2011!

3 comments:

  1. I am right there with ya on getting lot of use out my new Cooking Light book! I told J yesterday that everything on our meal plan for the coming week needs to be light...and what does he pick out? 2 PW recipes. Oy vey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok so I will ask you the same thing I just asked another blogger...do you not end up with a ton of leftovers? If I tried to cook something different every night, we'd have so much food in the fridge...or do you just make less? Maybe I over buy? It stresses me out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made the sausage cups for my Cotton Bowl party...and they were a HUGE hit!! We are having them again this weekend for a friends daugher's 3rd bday party! Thanks for sharing the recipe...I'm hooked! :)

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!