Saturday, January 15, 2011

Pot-Pie, Pot-Pie!

So.

I'm supposed to be having a relaxing day, tromping around town with the Evster, giving potential sectionals a good test plop and lingering over a lazy lunch.

Instead, I'm festering in front HGTV, waiting on a plumber to come remove our master bath toilet while my husband fends for himself at the market (oh yes, these will be in my oven soon, plumber-be-damned).

And, no, "remove" is not a trade term for some easy, unmessy procedure.  Someone is literally going to pull our potty off the wall and out of the bathroom and do lord knows what with it.  I don't know much about plumbing, but I'm a-thinkin' that ain't gunna be purdy.  Or cheap. 

Thankfully, I have one, perfect minified chicken pot pie left from Thursday's supper.  


Happy Rainy, Waiting-on-a-Plumber Saturday to me!

These little fellows started as a twinkle in my eye after dog-earring this recipe from Cooking Light.  But, wouldn't you know, after trips to two grocery stores, I was left feeling very Goldielocks about my peasant roll situation... they were just either too big or too small.  Besides, what's a pot-pie without a nice crisped crust, anyway?  

And so, I set about to make a more traditional pie, individually potted for portion control (and, uh, adorableness), and topped with herbed / asiago-ed pizza crust.  

Tarragon Chicken Pot-Pie with Herbed Asiago Crust

Ingredients
- 1 pizza crust, rolled thin (I used half a recipe of Pioneer Woman's)
- dried tarragon, rosemary, shredded Asiago cheese 
- 3 T. all-purpose flour
- 1.5 c. milk (I used 1%)
- 3/4 c. fat-free less-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 c. dry white wine
- 1 T. olive oil 
- 1 sweet onion, finely diced
- 2 bunches green onions, chopped (green parts only)
- 2 yellow squashes, sliced to 1/3 in., then quartered
- 5 large carrots, sliced to 1/3 in.
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 bunch of broccoli, stems trimmed, broken into small florets 
- 1 lb chicken breast cutlets, cut into small pieces
- 1 t. dried tarragon
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. pepper 

{Use store-bought pizza crust if you wish, but, I implore you, do not bust out with frozen veggies. They get all mushy and have no flavor and just... no. The peas are negotiable. But go fresh for the rest. And don't feel confined to the produce I used - go hog wild in the produce section!}

After rolling pizza dough very thin and placing atop a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, mist with olive oil and sprinkle with dried herbs and cheese.  Lightly pat herbs and cheese into dough.  Pop into the fridge to chill. 

Place flour in a small bowl.  Slowly add milk whilst whisking to combine.  When flour is completely incorporated into the milk, add wine and broth.  Set aside.

Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in your largest skillet.  Add onions and chicken. Saute until onions soften and chicken is nearly cooked through.  Add vegetables and saute - 4 minutes.  Stir milk slurry into chicken and veggie mixure.  Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer, stirring often, for 10-15 minutes to allow mixture to thicken.  

Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375.  Remove pizza dough from fridge.  Cut circles into the dough to form the crusts, using your cooking vessels as a rough guide.

I'll pause here for a tick... I used disposable pot-pie tins because I knew we'd be taking the leftovers to work for lunch and these suckers have handy-dandy plastic lids.  If I were making these for guests, I would have used my large ramekins - both options hold about 9-10 oz.  This recipe made 6 of those.  Or, you could definitely go casserole-style with this dish.  Either way, when cutting your crust, trim slightly larger than your cooking vessel so you can "tuck" the crust in! 

Spoon the chicken and veggie mixture into your baking dish of choice.  Place dough over mixture and tuck around the filling.  I tried to get fancy my excess dough and make a design.  This failed miserably.  But rock out with braided crust or smiley faces or whatnot if you're an all-star.  Cut small slits for venting in the crust.  

Place pies on a cookie sheet topped with parchment paper.  Bake 20-30 minutes, depending on how crispy you want your crust.  Remove from oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.  Goes great with a fresh green salad! 


*excuse the ugly plasticware... photography courtesy of last week's worktime lunch break. 

8 comments:

  1. Yum! I love pot pie. Such a classic comfort food, and the individual portions are adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. De-lish! I used puff pastry for our pot-pies last night, and they were perfectly flaky and buttery. I like the sound of tarragon and rosemary in yours; I'll have to give that a try next time. Because we will definitely be making more pot-pies before winter comes to an end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to see that PW's pizza dough doubles for other uses. I'm an addict, but I've been thinking lately about using it for foccacia (sp?) and other things too. Looks so good--I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look fantastic!!! If you have any leftovers, I am more than happy to come on over and help you finish them up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That just made my stomach rumble!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious! And so perfect now that the weather has been chillier in Texas (until yesterday and today of course).

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!