Sunday, March 6, 2011

Lazy Menu Sunday

Oh bother.  It seems I didn't take any food pictures this week.  I know you're all 100% heartbroken not to experience my mad iPhone photography skills, but you'll just have to wait until next week!  

The Evster traveled to magical Orlando for a conference Wednesday through Friday, so I did a lot of this...

And you can bet this will be my SSB for the next 72 hours!

and a little of this...

pride and prejudice

... 'Twas glorious but I'm happy to have my husband back puttering around the house, leaving mismatched socks and diet coke cans in his wake! 

Anyhoo, here's the skinny on the three meals I managed to throw together this week...

chicken tamale casserole
This was a new Cooking Light recipe for me and it was a huge hit!  I halved the original recipe, axed the sour cream garnish, and used fajita chicken a client was nice enough to bring us as a thank-you.  I highly recommend Rick Bayless' Frontera Red Chile Enchilada Sauce for this dish - it has a great, smoky flavor. 

Spinach pesto
I made this easy pesto so many times last summer that Evs eventually asked for a reprieve!  With Spring peeking around the corner last week, I decided to bust it back out after 6 or so months in hibernation.  I used toasted walnuts instead of the pine nuts and tossed the pasta with shredded rotisserie chicken and asparagus. So light and fresh! 

Red Beans & Rice with Spicy Venison Sausage
camelia red kidney beans
Totally simple and delicious if you have 2 hours or so to let the beans cook through.  Every season, mi padre bags a doe and my parents' back freezer teems with delicious smoked venison sausage. I sauteed the onions and garlic in fat rendered from the sausage, and then just followed the rest of the recipe on the back of the   Camelia package (NOLA's finest dried beans... no soaking required!).  Serve over white rice.  Easy-peasy!  

6 comments:

  1. The Chicken Tamale Casserole looks AMAZING! I already did my grocery shopping/meal plan for this week, so this will have to go on next week
    's meal plan. I cannot wait to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to try the Red Beans and Rice with Spicy Venison sausage. Hubs got a doe and a buck so the deep freeze is overflowing with deer meat. Do you think it'll work with the deer burger meat or should I use boudin? The other cuts I have of venison are: mignon, steak, and backstrap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to try the Chicken Tamale Casserole -looks easy + delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am thinking I will need to have that fettuccine with spinach pesto tonight! Also, because of you my husband and I are watching Six Feet Under on NetFlix – just finished Season 1 and we are hooked! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm pretty sure you've inspired me to buy Six Feet Under. My husband has NEVER seen an episode. Tragic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried the chicken tamale casserole last night and it is soooo good. My husband got home after I had already gone to bed and half the pan was gone this morning, so I'm thinking he liked it too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!