Sunday, March 27, 2011

Menu Sunday

100% Good Eatin' this week... No "Mehs!"  Granted, four of the five were standards or second-timers with a few twists, but, hey, originality isn't everything!

Bow-Tie "Lasagna" w/ Roasted Red Peppers & Cherry Tomatoes
Bow-tie "Lasagna" with roasted red peppers and cherry tomatoes
This Tasty Kitchen recipe quickly became one of my staples last year - it's quick, satisfying, delicious, and can easily be made healthier {for a pasta dish}.  It's also one of those recipes that I'm continually modifying... Tonight, I roasted a red bell pepper with a pint of cherry tomatoes {drizzle EVOO and sprinkle kosher salt on top and pop under the broiler for 30 minutes} and added that to a mix of 96% lean ground beef, whole wheat pasta, homemade roasted red pepper pasta sauce, light sour cream, and Monterrey Jack cheese. Then, I baked the whole shebang for 15 minutes at 400 degrees {with a light sprinkling of Parmesan}... Evs, who usually isn't ga-ga over this dish {I'm the pasta-monster in the relationship}, said the pieces of roasted pepper "took it to a whole new level" {I think Top Chef is rubbing off on him!}.

We have a new favorite... Asian Turkey Meatballs!
a/k/a Saucy Balls. I'll sit on my proverbial hands and refrain from making a Schweddy Balls joke... Let's just say my mouth's watering just thinking about these balls.  Oh crap,  there it was.  ANYHOO.  These are a new fan favorite around these parts... a truly... DELICIOUS DISH, if you will. {It's just so easy!}  As is this recipe! I made the "fried" brown rice as suggested by Iowa Girl Eats and drizzled the sauce on top {your balls are glistening}{I can't stop myself!}  We'll be eating these balls again and again! {that's what she said!}

{I'm finished now}

Smothered Southern Falafel with Oven-Fried Fire Fries
Smothered Southern "Falafel" with Oven Sweet Potato Fire Fries
These guys are a repeat with some slight modifications... I forgot to buy green onions and I used all my cilantro last night for Schweddy Balls Asian Turkey Meatballs so I had to improvise with a finely chopped shallot.  Last time, my patties didn't stick together well enough so I added another egg white this go-round.  I also stirred in a few shakes of cayenne pepper to spice things up a bit.  I was going to make the avocado sauce {which I did not do previously as it was the dead of winter}, but when I sliced open my avocado, it was brown through and through... Drats!  Foiled again!  A tablespoon of monterrey jack melted on top each patty cured my topping conundrum.  I really prefer these bunless - I think a tortilla, pita, or bun really takes away from the great flavor of the patties.  Plus you can pat yourself on the back for cutting carbs and pour yourself an extra glass of Sauv Blanc.  The sweet potato "fire fries" are sweet potato wedges tossed in EVOO, cayenne, paprika, and seasoning salt; then baked for 10 minutes at 450; and finished off under the broiler to crisp them up {be sure and watch 'em - they'll burn quick!}.   I think this might be our favorite vegetarian meal!  

Cider-Glazed Chicken & Browned Butter-Pecan Rice

Y'all know about this one.  It's a Big Honkin' Winner.  This was the first time I've made the companion brown rice... It was very, very good, but I think I do prefer the roasted asparagus risotto that I normally make with this dish! 


Two-Times-Kickin' BBQ Chicken {Pizza}
BBQ Chicken Pizza
What to do when your grilling plans backfire, you don't want to make an extra trip to the store, and you already have chicken marinating in Vivi's Carnival Mustard in the fridge?  Improvise, por supuesto!  I had lazy grand plans to serve a lazy simple grilled chicken on our lazy {no, really} lazy Friday evening as I bought a new jar of Vivi's {have you tried this stuff?  Ridic!} and was just itching to try it as a marinade {up until now, it's been mostly "lick it off our fingers" condiment}.  I poured the whole shebang over 1 lb chicken cutlets on Thursday night and patted myself on the back for my excellent forethought!  Flash-Forward: 6:30 P.M. Friday... P.J.s: On... Wine: Poured... Grill Gas Tank: ---Empty.  DRATZ.  To the rescue?  3 things I always have {extra sharp cheddar cheese, Stub's Spicy BBQ Sauce, and shallots} and 1 rando item I never have but mistakenly purchased thinking it was biscuits {Pillsbury pizza dough}.  The dough left something to be desired, but thankfully, the topping more than made up for it!   Just enough kick to make things very interesting and the mustard-y-ness of Vivi's melded perfectly with the smokiness of the BBQ Sauce. 

Ingredients
- Pizza Dough {I don't recommend the Pillsbury... this is my go-to recipe or I like Rustic Crust All Natural brand}
- 1 lb chicken cutlets
- 1 T. Italian seasoning
- sea salt 
- olive oil for drizzling 
- 1/2 T. butter
- 1 large shallot, cut into thin rings 
- 1 T. light brown sugar 
- your favorite spicy BBQ sauce
- 1.5 c extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 c Parmesan cheese, shredded 

Marinate chicken in Vivi's Carnival Mustard overnight in the fridge.  The next day, bake 20-30 minutes {until cooked through} at 350 degrees.  Allow to cool and chop into small pieces.  Make {or unwrap} dough. 

Preheat your oven according to the dough directions {mine was 400}.  Roll out your dough on the cooking mechanism of your choice, drizzle EVOO on top, and sprinkle with Italian seasoning and kosher salt.  Bake 5-7 minutes.  

Meanwhile, melt butter over medium heat.  Saute shallots until they begin to brown slightly, about 2-3 minutes.  Add chopped chicken to the pan with the shallots.  Sprinkle brown sugar over mixture. Continue to saute for 3-4 more minutes.  Add about 2 T. of your chosen spicy BBQ sauce to the pan, stir one minute longer, then remove pan from heat.  Drizzle spicy BBQ sauce over dough and spread in a light layer.  Spread chicken mixture over dough.  Top with cheddar, and then Parmesan.  Bake 15 minutes or until crust begins to brown and cheese is bubbly.  Devour! 

4 comments:

  1. Those Asian turkey meatballs look amazing! Might have to try them soon...if I can convince the boyfriend to break from his Italian Meatballs repertoire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO many good eats! I love the idea of the meatballs, too - they're added to my must-make list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why is barbecue chicken pizza so good?!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!