Wednesday, April 27, 2011

{Lighter} Spicy Turkey & Hatch Quiche

So, I'm promising myself I'll jump back on the Italy Recap Posting Train tomorrow evening so that my little virtual scrapbook will be complete {huge apologies for the photo overload and the itinerary regurgitation if they are becoming tiresome!}, but, until then... Let There Be Quiche!


Quiche and I have a special relationship.  My mom's spinach quiche is one of the only meals I really remember eating in the house where I was born.  She didn't make it that often, but when she did... Perfection!  I could probably throw down three dozen mini quiches if not pressed at all hard-pressed {and, let's face it, have likely come pretty close at one bridal shower or another}.  Ham & Swiss, Florentine, Lorraine... I don't play favorites! 

Unfortunately, quiche doesn't play favorites on my sausage arms either.  I've been on the lookout for a healthier recipe that doesn't involve too much processed, diet crap but keep coming up empty... until now!  Will this dish be a contender in your Master Cleanse Regime?  Nay.  But it's definitely a small and satisfying splurge that won't completely break your calorie bank... plus it's made from whole, clean ingredients. I'm claiming this egg pie a keeper! 

{Lighter} Spicy Turkey & Hatch Quiche

Cast of Characters

Ingredients
- 1 whole wheat pie crust {I used Wholly Wholesome at the suggestion of Cheeky Kitchen}
- 1/2 lb. lean ground turkey breast {I originally used 3/4ths of a pound... reduction rationale pictured below}
- 3 whole eggs + 2 egg whites, lightly beaten {originally used 3 + 3... again, see below}
- 2 T. fresh chives, chopped
- 1/2 cup {or 4 oz can} hot green chiles, diced {obviously I prefer Hatches!}
- 5.6 oz Nonfat Greek Yogurt {1 of the cartons pictured above}
- 1/8 t. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 t. cumin 
- 1 c. Pepper Jack cheese, shredded 
- Kosher salt & cracked pepper 
- 1/2 c. Extra Sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and bake pie crust for 10 minutes.  Remove and turn temperature down to 350 degrees.  

Meanwhile, over medium high heat, crumble and brown turkey until cooked thoroughly.  In a mixing bowl, mix chives, chiles, yogurt, cayenne, cumin, and pepper jack cheese together.  Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in ground turkey, then eggs - a little at a time to temper.  Pour egg mixture into pie crust.  Realize you've misjudged the volume of your wholesome vessel of egg=y, cheesy, quiche-y goodness.  

 Keepin' it real
Improvise.

Keepin' it realer

Bake quiche at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.  Carefully remove quiche, sprinkle cheddar on top, and place back in the oven for 30 more minutes or until completely set.  

Quiche!!

Sit on your hands for 15 minutes.  Watch some Pregnant in Heels.  Wish for Rosie Pope's hair color and accent.  Decide you'd settle for her collection of spring trench coats.  


Cut quiche into six almost equal save for your piece which is a wee bit larger slices.  Serve with green salad. Be good and trim off your outside crust.  Or don't.  {Life's short!}  Chew.  Smile.  Repeat.  

11 comments:

  1. That looks amazingly delicious! Quiche is one of my favorite foods- if you eat it with a green salad it cancels out the crust right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing, I may try it tonight. Love you blog - always brings a smile to my face!

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww, that looks delicious! my mom is fabulous quiche maker too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. DELISH. Can't wait for the Italy recaps to start back up... I'm sure the Hubs will be thrilled as well. All he heard all weekend was how we MUST go to Italy and how this hip blogger just went and OMGshehadthebesttripandOMGherfoodlookedamazingandOMGwhycan'twegorightnow!?

    Ahem.

    So, yes. Bring on the Italy posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh yum! I'm so glad you didn't nix the crust to save calories - it's the best part! A whole wheat crust sounds like the perfect compromise. I'll have to look for the one you recommended. And I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes to sneak herself the biggest piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for not using artifically fat free or low fat anything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks delish! And much healthier than the Quiche Lorraine with heavy cream, extra bacon, and extra cheese (Egads!) that I made for Easter :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. delicious! i love lighter recipes that still deliver the flavor! my mom makes a great quiche too..it comes with lots o bacon...my favorite kind!

    ReplyDelete
  9. rosie pope is the new bethenny.

    OK, maybe that's a bit strong, but she's definitely my #2 bravo girl. love PiH!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My quiche always overflows! Glad to see I am not the only one to whom this happens!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmm, delicious! I love a good quiche.

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!