Sunday, April 3, 2011

Poblano Turkey Burgers with Mango Salsa & Yellow Rice

With any luck, I'm currently eating something along the lines of this right about now...

Antipasti

Or perhaps partaking in a few scoops of these...

Gelato

I promise a full foodie recap upon my return {I'm sure I've already driven Evs crazy at this point with my "don't take a bite yet!  I need a photo!" exclamations}, but, until then, here's a little something I dreamed up in my own American kitchen last week.  Amidst all the packing and list-making and last minute work tasks, I didn't have much time for culinary antics... and I was trying to keep the carb-count lowish.  After having a bit of fun by modifying some "unique 'burger' recipes" over the last month {1 & 2}, I decided to get creative with one of my own! 

Southwestern Pablano Turkey Burgers with Mango Salsa & Yellow Rice

Poblano Turkey Burgers

Ingredients
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey breast
- 1 egg white
- 3/4 c. shredded monterrey jack cheese
- 1/4 c. crushed tortilla chips
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and deveined, then chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- salt and pepper
- guzzle of EVOO

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Prep a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a mist of EVOO.  Guzzle about 1/2 T. of EVOO into a small skillet over medium heat.  Add shallot and poblano pepper.  Saute until softened - about 5 minutes.  In a mixing bowl, combine peppers and shallot with ground turkey, tortilla chips, and cheese.  Now, get on in there with your hands - don't be shy!  Combine ingredients together and form into 6 patties.  Lay patties on prepped cookie sheet.  Sprinkle a bit of salt and cracked pepper on top of the patties and pop 'em in the oven for about 20-25 minutes.  No need to flip!  

Mango Salsa
- 1 mango, chopped
- 1 jalepeno, finely chopped
- 1/3 red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 T. cilantro, chopped
- 2 T. fresh lime juice 
- sprinkle of kosher salt

Mix all ingredients together.  Chill in the fridge before serving - at least 1 hour. 

Serving Size: 2 burger patties topped with 1/2 c. salsa served over 2/3 cup rice.  {I went the easy route with Mahatma Saffron Rice}

1 comment:

  1. Jealous! Can't wait to hear all about your travels. And yes please to Pablano Turkey Burgers. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!