Friday, April 1, 2011

Travel Snapshots: Arrival

Today, we wave a quick hello to Madrid {Hola, España! We'll be back soon!} before landing in Roma and then train-ing it to Manarola in Cinque Terre.  We chose to make Day 1 a full-on travel day as it's such a bust energy-wise anyhow. We've learned this lesson the hard way... twice. 

Trips abroad start out so cheerily with the free headsets and compression socks and sparkling water bottled in Asia... 

P7290020
Greece - 2007

IMG_0008
Thailand - 2008

... then things get a little hairy halfway through...

P7300021

... followed by a brief burst of euphoria upon initial arrival...

P7300023
{GREEK HARRY POTTER!}

... quickly ending in utter exhaustion and an inability to fully process any experience apart from hotel-bed-sprawling - no matter how spectacular the outing. 

1
P7300026
First Meal & Trip to National Archeology Museum in Athens.
Apparently that's a pretty important Athenian site. No clue what we saw.

IMG_0060
Evs' face says it all
IMG_0058
IMG_0057
BED Supperclub - First Night in Bangkok.
Touted as one of the chicest nightlife experiences at the time. 
I remember drinking an alcoholic Ecto-Cooler. And I think the waitresses were topless.
Beyond that... I dunno.

Here's hoping we make it through our time-change-haze to Manarola in one piece! 

6 comments:

  1. I looooved Greece and I really hope to go back some day and take my husband. That Greek Harry Potter poster is the best thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my first time commenting...but I had to because I'm so excited to hear you are going to Cinque Terre! My husband & I have planned a trip there this summer so I will be anxious to hear all about it...along with the rest of your Italian adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to that same Archeology museum in Athens. My eyes glazed over in five minutes and I was even an art history major. I blamed it on all the greek food that had me in a food coma for almost half my stay there. Enjoy Italy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE this post! This is so true on so many levels- you've completely nailed the stages of trans-continental vacation arrival. Hilarious. I especially love the photo evidence you curated to go along with it! Great fun. Hope you're having a fantabulous time in Italia, cannot wait to hear about the trip when you get back! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your husband is so cute. That is all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're so right about the first day being a waste, energy wise. I always forget that too. Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!