Monday, April 18, 2011

Weekend Mish-Mash

I promise, promise, promise we'll head to Chianti country tomorrow!  Until then, you can check out my 10 Globe-Trotting Essentials over on EAD Living today, if you're just-a-itchin' for more travel talk!  

We had ourselves a lovely little weekend... CSP came for {too short of} a visit late Friday night after working an event here in Dallas. Luckily I got in a little cat-nap before her arrival so we stayed up gabbing on the big, blue sectional until the wee hours {well, 1:30 AM... which is now considered "wee"... that hour would find our 17 year old selves debating how to break curfew without getting in trouble whilst rolling down Barton Springs Road towards the "cool" Taco Cabana for tortillas and queso.  Sigh.  Such is life.}.  

Our new carpet {master bedroom and upstairs family room} was scheduled for install on Saturday morning, so Evs took one for the team while C and I brunched at The Porch before her flight home.  We were sad she couldn't stay the whole weekend!  

I know Gushing Over New Carpet ranks up there with Polling Your Friends On Their Multi-Vitamins and Frank Discussions About Irritable Bowel Syndrome on the OMG WHEN DID WE GET OLD AND BORING Scale, but... 

I looooooooooove our new carpet.  

Y'all.  

You just.... I can't even.... Just...

It's glorious.  

The bedrooms and living spaces {and the stairs} in La Casa Nueva are carpeted, then we have hardwood everywhere else.  Most of the carpet is a-okay... 12 years old, but in good shape, especially after a little shampooing.  The master bedroom and the "bonus" room {I hate that term}?  SHITBOXES.  Whackadoo Old Owners' genius cat-author {have I told y'all these stories yet? I think it's high-time... remind me} sprayed all over the master suite {including the closet}, which, in turn, gave The Boom {who has been perfectly potty-trained for 5 years} the urge to mask the stench with her own "musk" if we didn't watch her like a hawk at all times.  Not pretty.  I haven't walked barefoot in my own bedroom since moving in last October.  The bonus room was a horse of a completely different color... namely, neon orange.  Mr. Fatso Whackadoo apparently drank Orange Fanta by the liter in his "home office" / room of a thousand {well, like 6} couches {still weird} and was also apparently quite handsy.  The carpet up there seriously looked like a crime scene for the homicide  of Lala Orange

Anyhoo.  We now have cushy wonderful new fabulous soft clean non-urine-infested de-Fanta-ized carpet.  We may or may not have made carpet angels in celebration.

Yay for new carpet being installed! Boom's not so sure though.
Psyched for New Carpet! 

The tree trimmers and new yard service also spruced up our outdoor space on Saturday.  I am DELIGHTED that our house is no longer the red-headed step-child of the block.  Simple pleasures!  

After a big long walk, a snooze {for Evs} and 2 episodes of Six Feet Under {for me}, we gussied up a bit for a casual dinner at Mint... which is quickly becoming a regular date night spot for us.  Their pad thai woon sen?  No words.  We keep meaning to try their green tea cake, which is supposed to be out of this world, but we're always full as ticks, with leftovers to spare.  One of these days!  And check out their sexy wine chillers...

Fancy!
Must. Procure. 

Gardener's Guilt from the yard man's wife {"You have such pretty beds, dear! You should be growing... well... something!"} was enough to get my rear in gear on Sunday and pull the trigger on this year's herb garden {basil, chives, sage... we already have rosemary}, plus some gerber daisies and a little village of peppers {ancho, sweet yellow, and fiesta bell}.

Tweet

We do have some good beds, but the sunlight situation is a bit tricky for the veggies / herbs I want to grow.  So I've settled on potting them {sorry yard lady}.  That way I can move them around when the Texas sun gets too strong.  I planted the flowers, basil, sage, and chives yesterday.  We had this heinous, cheap-o looking "serenity fountain" that the previous owners so "graciously" "gifted" to us {along with the refried beans... please tell me I've told that story? right?}collecting rainwater and rotting leaves and just generally acting as an orgy-fest for mosquitoes.  It was time for that sucker to go.  I drained it, cleaned it, trashed all the wiring and the top portion, and TA-DA!  BASIL PLANTER!  I tried to drill holes for drainage but the plastic was thicker than I anticipated, so I lined the bottom with river rocks and said a little prayer that the roots make it through Pesto Season.


I still need to swing by the nursery to pick up a few larger pots for my peppers.  And perhaps some more flowers for the front porch.

Easter Snazzy!
Easter Egg Mums.  Or Daisies?  I dunno.  That tag said "Easter Egg Something."
Gerbers
Hydrangeas opposite the little gerber daisy bed - about to bloom!
Sage & Chives
Rosemary
Cut Rosemary in the Kitchen

Peppers waiting for a home

We ended the weekend with a bowl of Slow Cooker Coconut Chicken Curry {which, of course, I shall post next Sunday!} in front of the new HBO series Game of Thrones.  Meh.  A little too "fantasy" for me.  Evs liked all the boobs.  

How was your weekend?  Are you growing anything this Spring / Summer?

9 comments:

  1. Love your cute little Easter wreath! And to answer your questions... my weekend was good, and this Spring, I am growing a human :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you had a great weekend honey! Have a fabulous Monday love! Kori xoxo

    www.blondeepisodes.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is your wreath from Target? Please say no, so I don't know what I've been missing! I bought the Valentines and the St. Patricks version, but missed out on the Easter. It's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Kate - I bought it at World Market last year but I saw that they had them again last month! You can probably still snag one! My mom also bought me a really cute one that I have hanging over our fireplace from Garden Ridge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I missed the refried bean story... sounds interesting!

    I'm growing a garden for the first time this year. I have zucchini, pumpkins, onions, carrots, spinach, arugula, rosemary, cilantro, parsley, basil, oregano, thyme, peppermint, and two types of tomatoes. Ooh, and strawberries! I love seeing the progress they've made each day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I planted a garden of basic flowers last summer (weeding is a bitch, but worth it) and I hope to do it again this summer. I also want a mini-veggie garden in my kitchen. Your garden looks awesome!

    Also? The wreath is easily the prettiest Easter decor I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your flowers are so pretty! And I'm jealous of your front door..great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love. So happy I found your blog. I'm a new follower, I hope you will as well. I started my blog a little over a month ago. It's all about celebrity fashion from the point of view of an LA stylist. Stop by to see multiple post a day on all the latest celebrity fashion news. Would love your support. xoxo

    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love all your new plants and flowers! I went out of town for the weekend and came home to find that the husband had shaped up all the trees in our front and backyard--very nice spring surprise for me!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!