Sunday, May 29, 2011

Memorial Menu Sunday

Happy long weekend, folks!  Hopefully, we're out at Cedar Creek, recovering from the BN and doing a little bit of this right now...

DSC01525

... I hope y'all are enjoying your long weekend as much as I am!  Don't forget your SPF!

Some goodies and some not-so-goodies this week...

Orange Chicken with Roasted Broccoli
from Iowa Girl Eats
Orange Chicken
Sooooo yummy!  And easy!  Modifications: I used whole wheat flour to dredge the chicken cutlets. Not wholly GF, but, meh, what can I say, I'm a rebel.  I didn't add the brown sugar to my portion but Evs said they tasted identical, so hopefully I wasn't missing out! 

Slow-Cooker Coconut Curry Chicken with Rice & Asparagus
from Iowa Girl Eats
Fail
Semi
The first time I made this crock pot dish, it was met with rave reviews... which is why I was pretty psyched to defrost the second half of the sauce and throw together another all-star meal in a snap.  Yeah, not so much.  Something went terribly awry in the crockpot it seems because the saucy was clumpy and goopy instead of rich and velvety.  I plucked the chicken pieces out and stirred them into some Near East Whole Grain Blend Chicken & Herb Rice with half a bunch of roasted, chopped asparagus.  Dinner: Salvaged. Ish.

Baked Falafel w/ Hummus & Roasted Red Onion & Tomatoes
Baked Falafel with chile hummus, roasted tomatoes & peppers
Hers {above} & His {below}
E's plate is a little more fun
The smell of these suckers baking in my oven brought me right back to Las Ramblas, Barcelona; Year: 2003; Time: 3:30ish a.m.... right after my friend Dove pointed out which ladies of the night had a little somethin' extra under their skirts if you know what I mean.  Yes.  I got my Hooker Education for the evening and then we split the best falafel I've ever had.  I think it's nearly impossible to recreate the taste of that treat without a deep fryer {the texture of these was a bit lacking... not enough CRUNCH}, but the smell of Angie's recipe is spot-on!  A super easy {and, sans pita and feta, a super HAKU friendly} supper... this gets an A+!  Modifications: Didn't have parsley, so I used fresh chives from my garden.  I brushed both sides of the falafels with EVOO and baked them on a cooling rack in an effort to make them as crispy as possible {a little trick I learned from Jessica!}.  We already had some Out to Lunch Green Chile Hummus in the fridge so I skipped the tahini sauce.  E ate his falafel on a jalapeño tortilla {again, it's what we had already!}.  Red onion and tomatoes were tossed in EVOO and roasted in the oven during the falafel's cook time. 

Asian Beef Noodle Bowls
adapted from / muddled together recipes via Pioneer Woman & Iowa Girl Eats
Asian Beef Noodle Bowl
The bowl pictured above is like the demented love child of the two recipe links posted and my own mad scientist skills. I loved the end result... E did not.  So... take that for what you will!  Since I can't eat a lot of processed soy {re: soy sauce}, I couldn't follow either of these recipes exactly.  I decided to create my own marinade and let the flank steak soak overnight and throughout the work day... hoping that the flavor would really sink into the meat allowing me to go easy when dressing the noodles. 

Marinade
- 1/2 c. low sodium soy sauce
- 3 T. sesame oil
- 1 T. toasted sesame oil
- 2 T. brown rice vinegar
- 1 T. minced ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 T. hot chili oil
- 2 T. brown sugar

Bowl Ingredients
- 7 oz. Asian rice noodles, cooked according to package directions
- 12 oz. flank steak, trimmed of all fat and cut into strips
- 1/2 lb. asparagus, steamed
- 1/2 lb. French green beans, steamed
- 1 c. edamame, shelled and steamed 
- 1 medium broccoli crown, florets removed and steamed

Dreassing
- 2 T. low sodium soy sauce
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 T. vegetable oil
- 2 T. seasame oil
- 1/2 T. hot chili oil
- 1 T. all natural creamy peanut butter
- 1 T. minced ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced 
- salt and pepper to taste

Marinate the steak strips overnight {I did mine nearly 24 hours} in gallon Ziploc, making sure all strips are covered completely in marinade.  

Heat cast iron skillet on Medium-High.  Transfer steak strips out of marinade and into the skillet using a slotted spoon.   Discard the excess marinade.   Cook steak all the way through to desired "doneness."  

Meanwhile, toss noodles and veggies together in a large salad bowl.  In a smaller, microwave-safe mixing bowl, whisk dressing ingredients together.  If peanut butter doesn't dissipate, heat all ingredients in microwave on High for about 20 seconds, then whisk vigorously. 

Add dressing to the salad bowl, tossing to coat.  Divide into bowls and lay meat on top.  Enjoy!  {Or don't... if you're my husband.}  Serves 3-4. 

2 comments:

  1. Hope you're having a fun weekend! The baked falafel looks YUMMY! I may need to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!