Sunday, May 1, 2011

Menu Sunday

Another week filled with new-to-us recipes!

Crunchy Honey Chicken
If this dish had a bumper sticker, it would read: Like Pei Wei... Without the Dimply Thighs.  Or something like that.  Perhaps we should just go with Tasty! while we work that one out our with the marketing people.  Modifications: I used an entire {small} red bell pepper, doubled the peas, and left out the broccoli.  Other than that, I followed Jessica's recipe to a T.  

Spicy Shrimp Cobb Salad w/ Grilled Artichokes
Oh shrimpies.  Why did it take me so long to fall for you?  I snubbed you altogether for nearly two decades {again, my sincerest apologies}... Then we had a few years of stolen glances and quickie trysts after you winked at me from the hibachi grill and flirted from your bed of cheesy grits... And now?  Now, I just can't get enough of you, you sexy little things!  
Etc...
Oh yes.  We are officially Hot & Heavy.  Consider my Facebook status changed.  

I've eaten shrimp three times within the last three weeks.  I think it's officially L-O-V-E.  Which explains my gleeful shrieks when I saw the cover of May's Cooking Light.  This salad practically shouts SUMMER {or, POOL-SIDE CORONA LIGHTS, as the synonyms may be} and it did not disappoint on fresh, summertime flavors!  Modifications: Here's the biggie... I cooked the shrimpies in the bacon grease.  I KNOW, I KNOW, I KNOW, but hear me out on this one... Shrimp cooked in bacon grease are things of beauty... better even than the bacon itself.  So I cooked the bacon, threw it away, blotted up half the grease from the pan, and sauteed my wee crustaceans with a clear conscience. So delish.  I added a pinch each of garlic salt and cayenne pepper to the shrimp before cooking them to give them a bit more heat.  And I added a splash of pear champagne vinaigrette to the dressing.  

So many good things happening in the kitchen right now!
We've been hankering for some artichokes ever since experiencing the little suckers "Jewish-style" {lightly fried... and somewhat resembling an Awesome Blossom onion} in Roma.  Grilling is much more diet friendly and nearly as scrumptious!  This is the tutorial I use.  Serve sprinkled with kosher salt and dijon mustard vinaigrette {spicy whole dijon mustard + fresh lemon juice + olive oil}. 
Grilled artichokes

Click on back to Wednesday for the skinny on this scrum-diddly-umptious quiche!

Slow-Cooked BBQ Pulled Pork w/ Brown Basmati Rice 
BBQ Pulled Pork & Brown Basmati Rice
I just recently discovered Can You Stay for Dinner and am pleased as punch to have a new source for delicious {and usually, lighter} recipes.  Andie has a ridiculously impressive weight loss story and is refreshingly candid in regards to her personal food struggles {on both ends of the spectrum!}.  You should check her out.  

Anyhoo, I bookmarked this BBQ pork recipe a few weeks back and was itching to bust out the crock-pot and give it a whirl... I am happy to report that it is as tasty as it appears!  The pork was fork-tender and the sauce was the sweet and tangy, with just a little bit of kick!  Evs commented that it tasted an awful lot like the BBQ sauce I use when we cook BBQ Chicken Pizza... quite the compliment, since that would be Stubb's acclaimed concoction! 

Modifications:  I used 1 lb. of pork tenderloin instead of sirloin and an entire sliced onion {I went with purple!}.  I did cook the pork for the entire 8 hours, but I think next time I'll decrease it to 7 {the sauce on the sides of the slow cooker congealed and had to be discarded, so my pork wasn't as saucy as the original photos}.  To save on carbs, I ditched the buns and served the pork over half a cup of brown basmati rice. {PS: If you're not cooking rice THIS WAY, you're missing out on perfect rice every time!!!}  I had lofty ambitions of grilling some mango to go on the side but the Real Housewives of New York laundry hampered {PUN} those best laid plans. 
Thank you @IowaGirlEats for the foolproof rice cooking tip!

Friday Pizza Night: Buffalo Chicken Pizza with Broccoli

Buffalo Chicken Pizza with Broccoli
I loved this to pieces {slices}.  Evs did not.  Apparently he is not "into" buffalo chicken.  Huh.  Marriage: Like an onion / So many layers.  Anyhoo, if you are "into" buffalo chicken, I think you'll fancy this little recipe.

Ingredients
- your favorite pizza crust
- 3/4 lb. chicken, diced into small, bite-sized pieces 
- buffalo sauce, enough to cover your diced chicken, plus a little extra {shocker: I prefer spicy}
- 1 crown of broccoli, broken into florets, majority of stems removed
- 1.5 c. spicy pepper jack cheese, shredded 
- for garnish: red pepper flakes, fresh basil, &/or fresh Parmesan

Cover chicken with buffalo sauce and toss to coat.  Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.  After marinating, preheat oven at 400 degrees and bake chicken on a cookie sheet for 15 minutes {or until cooked through}. Meanwhile, steam broccoli {with a little bit of water in a paper-towel-covered bowl} for 2 minutes in the microwave {drain}.  

Prep pizza crust and oven according to recipe or package instructions.  Lightly brush with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt.  Top with chicken {and extra sauce, if your heart so desires!} and broccoli, then cheese.  {Note: Since my buffalo sauce was quite spicy, I didn't add any extra sauce... giving our pizza just a heavy insinuation of buffalo taste.}  Bake according to dough recipe / package instructions.  Garnish with red pepper flakes, fresh basil and/or fresh Parmesan.  Share with someone who is "into" buffalo chicken! 
Pizza Guard

3 comments:

  1. I just have to say that Evan must be the luckiest man alive because you cook such awesome food. I'm totally jealous of your ability to whip up delicious food almost every night of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you've come around with shrimp!! They are a staple in my diet. And best of all, LOW CAL! Yay for shrimpies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made that shrimp cobb salad this week too. I can't believe you tossed the precious bacon! I made my own dressing for fear the one written wouldn't have enough flavor but I thought it was pretty tasty.

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!