Sunday, May 22, 2011

Menu Sunday

Again - I can't say this enough - but thank you for all the kind words and happy thoughts this past week!  I'm planning a post detailing the Hippie Asian Knock-Up diet put into practice for breakfast, lunch, and snacks, but here's a look at my new "supper reality"... 

Spicy Black Bean "Taco" Stuffed Peppers
Taco Stuffed Pepper w/ grilled squash!
I can't pass up a stuffed pepper!  Modifications: For some extra protein, I browned/crumbled 1 lb. of 96% lean beef and stirred it in to simmer with the beans, adding a bit more of each of the spices.  No cheese  :(  E is not a huge stuffed pepper fan, so he went traditional taco style with tortillas... but if you're preparing these with the meat, I think you'd need 4-5 peppers. 

Pork Paprika w/ Ginger Cilantro Brown Rice
Rice from Kalyn's Kitchen
Pork Paprika w/ cilantro sesame brown rice
This was a standout dish for sure - I loved everything about it!  Modifications: Canned tomatoes bother me... I'm not sure why, but they just skeeve me out {unless they're being put through a food processor or simmered down to liquid}.  I added a pint of yellow cherry tomatoes while the onions were sauteing, and then pierced each 'mater with the tip of a sharp knife to release the juices after they'd been cooking for a bit.  I left the sour cream out completely to go DF.  Obviously, no buttered egg noodles here... We went with this ginger cilantro rice {subbed brown batsmati for the white} I spied on Pinterest the other day instead, and it did not disappoint!  Ginger, cilantro, green onion, sesame... so many delicious flavors!  I was a bit afraid these two recipes wouldn't meld well together, but they worked perfectly!

Chile Lime Tilapia & Sesame Snap Peas
Chile-Lime Tilapia & Sesame Snap Peas
Can't take much credit for this meal... I bought the fish fillets already seasoned from Whole Foods and baked them in the oven at 350 for about 15 minutes.  Peas were sauted in a tiny bit of toasted sesame oil and sprinkled with sesame seeds.  I know I'm mixing my ethnic cuisines... just go with it. 

Avocado & Edamame Salad with Roasted Chickpeas & Crispy Steak Bits
Avocado & Edamame Salad w/ Roasted Chickpeas & Crispy Steak
Not going to lie, I'm pretty proud of this one.  I spied these two salads {uno y dos} in this month's Cooking Light and, while they both looked individually delightful, I looked at the photos side by side and thought "hmmmm... putting the chickpeas with the steak and edamame sounds yummy... ooo and what if the red onions were carmelized somehow.... ahhhhhhhh and avocado!"  And thus, this little creation was born! 

Ingredients:
- 1 can organic chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 t. cumin
- 1 t. coriander
- 1 t. paprika 
- 2 T. EVOO, divided 
- 1 1/4 c. of shelled organic edamame, cooked and rinsed under cool water
- 8 oz flank steak, cut into bit-sized pieces
- 1/2 t. kosher salt
- 3/4 t. cracked pepper
- 1 whole avocado, diced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced 
- 1/4 c. fresh squeeze orange juice + 1/8 c.
- 1 t. whole grain dijon mustard

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.  Toss chickpeas with cumin, coriander, paprika, and 1/2 t. of EVOO. Spread chickpeas in a single layer on the bottom of a baking dish, and roast for 20 to 25 minutes {tossing halfway through cooking time}. 

Meanwhile, heat 1 T. of EVOO on medium-high in a cast iron skillet.  Combine steak with salt and pepper, coating all sides.  Add steak bits to skillet, cooking until very brown and just starting to crisp.  Remove from skillet and place in salad bowl and allow to cool slightly while you caramelize the onion.

In a nonstick skillet, heat the rest of the EVOO {1/2 t.} over medium heat.  Add the onions and saute.  As the onions begin to soften, add 1/8 c. orange juice, stirring to caramelize. Remove from heat. 

Add roasted chickpeas, edamame, and avocado to the bowl with the steak, topping with onions. Whisk remaining orange juice with dijon mustard.  Pour over salad and toss to coat.  

Serve room temperature. OBVIOUSLY. 

Makes 3 servings.  Next time... there will be yellow sunburst tomatoes in the mix! 

4 comments:

  1. Your invent-a-salad looks especially delicious. I'm glad you're finding ways to be creative but still meet the needs of your new diet. I have a husband with a shit ton of food allergies and I know how hard it can be to cook to "rules." Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I added you to google reader without probably ever actually visiting your blog, I have never commented. However, I read your blog religiously... and since you have been put on the Hippy Asian diet I will watch even closer. I have been TTC for 2 years (reason: husband in training for 8 months + a move). I go to my new doc next month and wanted to try a semi-hippy-asian diet before then. Yay for someone showing me how to do so!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is it with men and not liking stuffed peppers? My husband doesn't like them either--um, hello, they are delicious.

    That salad you made looks and sounds fantastic! That will be added to my supper rotation this week for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These pictures make me drool!! Luckily, Brent likes stuffed peppers...maybe I can talk him into making them soon, haha.Thanks for sharing, lady!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!