Sunday, June 5, 2011

Menu Sunday

Oops.  Auto-posted before I could write an intro.  Oh well.

Herbed Turkey & Spinach Meatballs w/ Roasted Tomatoes & Red Pepper Sauce
inspired by Skinny Taste
Meatball Bath
My husband claims he is not a Meatball Guy.  Which is highly unfortunate given the fact that, as my father's daughter, I am very much a Meatball Gal.  E's ball-o-meat hesitancy makes little to no sense given the fact that the man ate meat ragu for 82% of the meals we enjoyed in Italy and really, what is ragu if not a mushed up meatball?  PLUS, he likes the Asian Turkey Meatballs.  So... basically... Liar, Liar Pants on Fire. 

Suspicion: Confirmed. Evs was down to party with these here meatballs.  And he happily trotted off to work this morning clutching the leftovers. Success! 

Ingredients
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey breast
- 10 oz. package frozen chopped spinach, dethawed and squeeze of all excess water
- 1 large egg, beaten
- less than 1/4 c. bread crumbs or panko
- 1/4 c. shredded Parmesan {I omitted for HAKU and didn't really miss it}
- fresh herbs, chopped {I used basil & sage from our garden - about 10 and 5 leaves, respectively}
- 1/2 t. kosher salt
- 1/2 t. fresh ground pepper
- 1 T. EVOO
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes {y'all know I love the little yellow sunbursts!}
- Pasta, cooked al dente {I used Tinkyada brown rice elbow macaroni... the Tinkyada brand comes highly recommended from my GF Product Guru and it did not disappoint! Even E was raving about the texture & taste!} 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Combine first eight ingredients {through ground pepper} together in a mixing bowl with your hands.  Form meat mixture into small balls and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  {Should make around two dozen meatballs.} Bake on the middle oven rack.  Drizzle EVOO atop cherry tomatoes in a baking dish and roast on the top oven rack with the meatballs.  Pull meatballs out after 15 minutes; leave tomatoes in for 5-10 minutes longer. 

Meanwhile, place roasted red pepper sauce in a large pot and heat on Medium until bubbling.  When the meatballs are finished in the oven, set them into the sauce in a single layer {tongs are helpful here}.  Turn the heat up slightly and allow the sauce to bubble over the meatballs while the tomatoes finish roasting.  

Spinach herb turkey meatballs with roasted tomatoes & red pepper sauce

Divide pasta, tomatoes, and meatballs into bowls and spoon sauce on top.  Serves 4-6, depending on your desired ball-to-pasta ratio. {HAKU-Friendly = I had about a 1/3c. of pasta + half pint of tomatoes + 5 meatballs}

Blueberry Banana Oatmeal Muffins
Final Product!
Huge thanks to Mrs. Cup for providing me with the recipe for my very first GF, DF, and processed-sugar-free baking endeavor -- and for managing my expectations on these suckers!  Do not expect a delicious, cakey, bakery-type muffin... These are more like portable oatmeal cups.  Toasted with a dab of honey or all-natural peanut butter {or both!}, they're perfect for my morning commute. Modifications:  I used lite coconut milk, honey, and 2.5 c. of blueberries {as that was the amount in the bag I purchased}. 

Coconut Crusted Chicken Tenders w/ Honey Mustard Sauce
Coconut Chicken
{That's a particularly shitty iPhone photo, there, sorry 'bout that.} Super delicious - I love the texture!  Modifications: I let the tenders soak in a bath of lite coconut milk and a few good dashes of garam masala for about 30 minutes... skipped the flour and egg and went straight to the {GF} breadcrumbs and shredded coconut {unsweetened}.  My breadcrumb to coconut ratio was heavily skewed on the coconut side of things.  I made the dipping sauce out of 1 part honey and 1 part spicy whole grain mustard.

Roasted Chickpea, Macadamia Nut, Mango & Avocado Salad...
Roasted Chickpea, Macadamia Nut, Avocado, & Mango Salad
...with Mustard Dill Tilapia
Expecting good things
...with Mustard Dill Tilapia!
Woah, Nelly!  So much Summertime packed into this simple, simple, simple meal!  Modifications: I used a spring mix and decreased the amount of fresh greens to 3 c. since I have to take it easy on the raw veggies.  I roasted a can of chickpeas {drained, rinsed, duh} with the macadamia nuts {EVOO, kosher salt, pepper... 20 minutes at 400 degrees}.  Dressing was equal parts champagne pear vinegar and Annie's lite honey mustard dressing. Tilapia bathed overnight in the fridge in a Mustard Dill Marinade from Whole Foods {purchased right by the fish counter}... baked at 400 for 15 minutes.

Steak with Balsamic Tomatoes & Red Onions + Quinoa Rice Blend
courtesy of Skinny Taste
Steak with balsamic tomatoes & red onions + red pepper quinoa blend
This is a recipe that calls for the Big Guns... specifically: your best balsamic vinegar... you know, the one you bought in Napa that you stroke like a small, mewing kitten and often huff like that emo kid in 7th grade who was always swiping spray paint from Michaels. {What?  Just me?}  Anyhoover, this one's another good-un! And a Big Thumbs Up for Near East's new Quinoa Blend Roasted Red Pepper & Basil box-o-yumminess!  Modifications: None... except I used more balsamic. So crazy like that. 

4 comments:

  1. Those coconut chicken tenders look delicious- I've done that with shrimp before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was all jazzed to try the muffins and now I want to try them ALL! Especially the meatballs :)
    Another great GF pasta is quinoa pasta, it has my favorite consistency - http://www.quinoa.net/145/163.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. If the lawyer gig doesn't work out, I wish I could employ you as my personal chef! Everything looks absolutely divine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've made these meatballs twice now. LOVE LOVE LOVE them. This is def going to be a regular on our dinner rotations.

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!