Sunday, June 12, 2011

Menu Sunday

A mix of oldies and newbies this week....

White Truffle Pesto Pasta w/ Chicken, Sunburst Tomatoes, Green Beans, & Spinach
Brown Rice Pasta w/ DF Pesto, Tomatoes, Green Beans & Spinach
One of those had-to-run-errands-after-work-and-didn't-get-home-until-7-and-The-Bachelorette-is-about-to-start, last minute recipes... made extraordinary thanks to a jar of  truffles in olive oil from Italia.  Since I was flying by the seat of my pants, my measurements are far from exact... but honestly, I really don't think you can muss up anything involving salsa tartufata.

Ingredients
- 1 lb. chicken cutlets
- 3 c. pasta {I used GF Tinkyada brown rice elbow pasta}, cooked according to package directions, reserving 1/4 c. pasta water
- 1/2 lb. green beans
- 3/4 pint cherry tomatoes {yellow Sunbursts rock my world}, halved
- 2 c. fresh spinach
- 1/2 c. pesto {I make pesto sans recipe, mostly by the super-scientific Taste & Adjust Method. No Parm this time... still delicious}
- 1 T. Salsa Tartufata {truffles in olive oil}
- EVOO
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper

Dice extra lean chicken cutlets and saute in 1 T. of EVOO until cooked through. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate.  In another skillet, heat another T. of EVOO on medium heat.  Add cherry tomato halves and saute for 3 minutes or so, then add green beans and salsa tartufata.  Continue sauteing, stirring continuously, until tomatoes begin to break down.  Combine chicken and pasta in a large pot; stir in fresh spinach, then cooked veggies.  Toss together until spinach begins to wilt, then stir in pesto, adding reserved pasta water 1 T. at a time until sauce thins to desired consistency.  Devour... preferably in front of extremely awkward reality television.

Naked Burrito Bowl with Mango-Pineapple Salsa
Naked Burrito Bowl with Pineapple Mango Salsa
Told y'all I've been crushing hard on Chipotle lately. I mean, I've always loved me a Big-Ass Burrito, but, as far as HAKU eating goes, a naked burrito bowl sans rice and cheese is hard to beat!  And the at-home version comes together in a snap.  Marinate 1 lb pounded chicken cutlets overnight {I like Frontera's New Mexico Taco Skillet Sauce}, then grill and dice.  Drain and rinse a can of black beans; stir in 1 T., 1 t. garlic powder, and 1 t. kosher salt; heat over Medium-High heat, stirring ocassionally, for 10 minutes.  Divide beans into bowls, top with diced chicken, and other "burrito" ingredients... Mine features pico de gallo, diced avocado, corn, and a mango-pineapple salsa {diced mango, diced pineapple, lime juice, diced jalepeno, and cilantro} courtesy of Whole Foods.  Evs had his with a bit of Near East Mexican Rice. 

Warm Steak, Asparagus & Cherry Tomato Salad
modified from Cheeky Kitchen
Definitely has become a standard around these parts
Third time with this one... still an absolute charmer!  Modifications: No cheese... I still think it's ridic-delish! 

Dirty Rice
Dirrrrrty Rice
Three Cheers for the ICP!  I've had this recipe bookmarked since this past Mardi Gras, and, unfortunately, didn't get around to making it during the festivities {must've been the King Cake Coma}.  Well consider it N'awlins in my kitchen tonight, because the smell of this dirty rice takes me right to the French Quarter.  Modifications: I initially planned on using chicken andouille sausage, but the market was all out.  Then I remembered I had one big link of habanero chicken sausage and another big link of spicy Italian chicken sausage back home in the freezer... Thankfully, the mix of flavors worked perfectly.  I used an entire jalepeno pepper and Cholula hot sauce instead of Tabasco. I subbed brown jasmine rice for the white long grain... just add about a 1/4 c. more chicken broth and allow the dish to simmer for 10 minutes more.  

GF Pizza with Pepperoni & Sundried Tomatoes
Pizza Fridays! Sundried Tomatoes + Pepperoni
Thank you, thank you, thank you to all who recommended Bob's Red Mill GF Pizza Crust Mix!  It's actually edible!  Next time, I'll probably cook it the first time {sans toppings} at 500 degrees to crisp it up a bit, and then reduce back down to 425.  If anyone has any tips for getting a crispier crust out of this mix, I'd love to hear them!  This Friday, we topped our pie with antibiotic free, natural pepperoni from Applegate Farms and sun dried tomatoes brought back from Italia.  Fresh basil from the garden and a good shake of red pepper flakes and we were in business... Delicioso!  Tip: Really wet your hands as you're spreading out this dough... it's very, very sticky!  

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your weekly menus - everything always looks so good! Can I come over for dinner? Haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! ICP is one of my oldest and closest friends in le real life. Did you know she's also a Dallasite?

    This comment could be titled - When le blog worlds collide.

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!