Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Whoopsie... Menu Tuesday

Hope y'all had a glorious three day weekend and a festive fourth... We celebrated America with triple pool time, slow smoked brisket, Steve Martin on the banjo, and balcony-side fireworks.  And chicken mole enchiladas.  Which totally count as American if you live in Texas.  

4th of July
Zombie Pup playing Michael Jackson Baby whilst waiting for fireworks.

Anyhoover, here's the grub that graced our table last week...
Smoked Mozzarella & Avocado Burgers + Grilled Squash & Corn
Grill time!
No recipe needed... just flat-out, self-explanatory, simple, intense yumminess!  {Note: I have yet to brave the GF hamburger buns... the ones pictured are E's. I just had the patty + BBQ sauce + cheese + avocado.}

BBQ Chicken Pasta Bake
BBQ Chicken Pasta Bake
I had such high-hopes for this dish... I've had it pinned for ages, just waiting until I had the okay to go for the gold cheese again.  Plus, I love\ all of Jessica's recipes I've tried.  Sadly, this one just fell short.  It tasted mushy and bland to us - and I used plenty of delicious Salt Lick BBQ sauce. Bummer. 

Asian Turkey Meatballs & Lime Sesame Dipping Sauce
Saucy Balls!
Forgot to snap a photo at dinnertime, so y'all are getting an old shot.  These have become a favorite around these parts... So much taste for so little effort!  

Chicken, Broccoli & Brown Rice Casserole
Chicken, Broccoli & Rice Casserole...sans gross "cream of" soup! @iowagirleats
This casserole was everything the pasta bake wasn't... textural, flavorful, not too heavy.  Kristin had me at "without a can of goopy cream of XYZ" - I hate cooking with that stuff!  Perhaps not the perfect dish to make on a hot summer night, but 100% scrumptious - I'll be putting this into my winter meal rotation for sure!  Would also be great to bring to new parents or a sick friend.  Modifications: I used brown jasmine rice which is a bit finicky to cook.  Because of its peculiarities, I just steamed the broccoli and green onions in the microwave instead of tampering with the rice's cooking time. I halved the recipe exactly {save for using 2+ cups of broccoli instead of 1.5} but still ended up cooking it in a large casserole dish - I like less goop / more browned, crunchy topping.  I used a mix of 3 parts extra sharp Tillamook cheddar and 1 part Parmesan. Instead of just popping it under the broiler, I preheated my oven to 450 degrees and cooked it for 20 minutes. 


Taco Twice-Baked Potatoes
Taco Twice Baked Potatoes
Simple and satisfying! I've posted my "recipe" {if you can even call it that} for perfect twice baked potatoes before, but I'll retype {that's not selflessness - that's laziness... not up for an archive search right now}. 

Perfect Twice-Baked Potatoes
- baking potatoes {I made 3 this go-round}
- EVOO
- kosher salt

Preheat your oven to 475 degrees.  Wash and scrub potatoes.  Rub with EVOO and kosher salt.  Wrap in tin-foil and bake on the middle oven wrack for 1.5 hours.  If you have time, allow to cool for 30 minutes or so outside of the foil.  With a serrated knife, slice the top 1/4th of the potato off.  Place in your "mashing bowl" {skin and all}.  With a spoon, scoop out the "innards" until you have just a tiny sliver of potato "meat" clinging to the skin, forming a bowl.  Mash the innards with your chosen stuffing ingredients.  Re-stuff potatoes and pop them back into the oven {lower to 400 degrees} for 20 minutes. 

For these, I made taco meat out of 1/2 lb. of 96% lean grassfed ground beef and half a packet of organic, GF taco seasoning.  I added the taco meat to the tater innards, along with a can of black beans {drained and rinsed}.  1 small, broken up slice of Tillamook extra sharp cheddar on top each tater feels decadent but isn't! 

7 comments:

  1. I LOVE those asian meat balls, too! I put mine over pasta and love it. The broccoli bake sounds great- definitely going to try it. So sad about the BBQ bake though - I hate recipe fails. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a celiac (so I must eat all GF foods, mandatory!) and I can tell you that Udi's are the best brand of hamburger and hot dog rolls! All you have to do is toast them a little (and why wouldn't you!?) and they are delicious. Mmmm!! Much better than a naked burger! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those burgers look amazing! I think I definitely need to try out the taco twice baked potatoes- they look super tasty and simple. I love that you are a big fan of Tillamook cheese- it is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What happened to the Boom's leg/foot? Did I miss something?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Chicken, Broccoli & Brown Rice casserole sounds great. I'm always turned off by recipes with a can of creamy soup listed as an ingredient so that's a great find. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. should I be embarrassed that my heart started to beat faster as I saw all of your delicious food?! ;) (I still need to catch up on your blog, so, hopefully soon, you will see that I have spent a stalkerish amount of time catching up, and I'm sure I'll leave some goofy comments as I go ;))

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will totally try the broccoli caserole. I cannot stand those gross cream of sludge soup recipes!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!