Thursday, September 15, 2011

prescription drugs, pregnancy, and robots with mean left-hooks

The Summer of 2004 was a rough one for me. 

Not only was I dealing with the Inexplicable Headache that Wouldn't Die, I was also weaning myself* off a very large dosage of anti-anxiety medication.**

*under my doctor's supervision, of course
**specifically, Paxil - or the Elixir of Satan Himself, if you so prefer


And when I say "large dosage," I mean "there's the stuff Nurse Ratched doled out to RP McMurphey... and then there's the crap I was shoveling down my throat for 3 years."  

I made our family vacation to Big Sur that July a real pleasure, let me tell you. 

Besides morphing into a Raging, Grade A Bitchface, I experienced another delightful symptom as a result of this little pharmaceutical science experiment...

Extreme Sensitivity to Sound in the Form of Intense Weepiness. 

I distinctly remember sitting in a darkened Frank Erwin Center, tears streaming down my face during both sets of the Simon & Garfunkel Old Friends Reunion Tour concert.  

And while I do love me some Paul and Art, "The Boxer" doesn't normally leave me clutching a damp concession stand cocktail napkins to my leaking eyeballs. 

Just something about loud music enveloping me...

I dunno. 

Couldn't explain it. 

And I didn't have to.  We got the meds down to zero, zilch, nada and I eventually evened out to become the well-adjusted young adult you see here today. 

{ha!}

Then all of a sudden it was 10 weeks ago.  Unassuming Husband takes Newlyish Prego Wife {that would be E and me... just for clarification} to a movie, because it's 109 degrees outside and a movie equals two or more hours in which someone else pays for the air conditioning.  Plus, there's popcorn. 


Unassuming Husband looks over to whisper his general disapproval, only to be met by a Bawling Wife.  

"I just... this movie... terrible... I don't... HICCUP... I can't... this isn't normal! HICCUP" 

Like Poltergeist II, it's baaaa-aaaack.

And the fun doesn't end with Ultimate Fighting Cyborgs!  Oh no! 

I've sniffled my way through...
  • a smattering of random theatrical trailers, including, but not limited to War Horse, The Odd Life of Timothy Green, and, most humiliatingly, Dolphin Tail
  • the entire three hours of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part II {which, admittedly, seeing it at the IMAX in 3D might not have been the wisest of my hormonal decisions}
  • "Proud to Be An American" over the loudspeaker on our return flight to Dallas on September 11 {trust me when I say I wiped sincere tears during multiple, legitimate remembrance ceremonies last Sunday... but somehow, Lee Greewood piped over the intercom didn't seem like the most appropriate commemoration. SIDE-EYE, Southwest.} 
And don't even talk to me about the Lion King being re-released in 3D.  I'll get misty-eyed just thinking about the opening Circle of Life sequence.  

Moral of these here ramblings: 


Pregnancy... Sometimes it's awesome.

And, sometimes, it's like going through hardcore prescription drug withdrawal.

{Can I get that in cross-stitch?}

13 comments:

  1. First of all, I think that would make a wonderful cross stitch. Secondly, I bawled my eyes out when we saw The Lion King musical last year during that opening number. There's something about that "Circle of Life" that gets me every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I experienced a similar affect when being weaned off Celexa, but for me it was more crowds than noise. It's crazy how your body reacts to different things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilarious. I was the same way when I had to go off thyroid meds for testing one Xmas. My family thought I was legitimately nuts when I burst into tears over the calendar of puppies my grandma sent me. NOT NORMAL. But it happens!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paxil withdrawals are the worst! I've been weaned off three different drugs at different times, and none were nearly as bad as that feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha too funny! pregnancy does crazy things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely want that saying in cross-stitch :) Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahaha! I am cracking up.

    I am like the most sensitive person I know and can cry at EVERYTHING. It's good to know that I'm in such good company.

    Crying during the Timothy Green promo?? Been there.

    Proud to be an American?? Gets me EVERY TIME.

    And don't even get me started on how we went to see Lion King the musical when I was 7 mos pregnant. I was SOBBING during circle of life, I mean I'm almost crying right now just thinking about it. And the part where Simba is talking to Mufasa about how they'll always be together when everyone knows that Mufasa is about to bite the big one... OH MY GOSH. it was too much to handle. hahahaha

    Ok I better stop talking about stuff like this before people come by my desk asking if my cat died. (um I don't have a cat FTR)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too weaned off of Paxil, right around the same time as you it was horrible. Never, ever again.

    Oh and anxiety SUCKS.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I couldn't even make it all the way through this post without having to listen to The Boxer. Eyes, hydrated.

    Pregnancy very much had that effect on me. High offenders were and remain: The ukelele+humming version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow", the "Baby Mine" scene in Dumbo, and that Pampers commercial that comes out during Christmas with Silent Night playing over the closeups of sleeping babies. Anything patriotic. Sob!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Paxil is the worst! and the withdrawls yuck. Why did they prescribe that to college kids?! Glad to know some of my 'symptoms' may come back when there is a bambino on the way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh God... I'm probably going to start weaning myself off of my Effexor soon. I take a very high dose and I've been on it for 7 years. I've heard TERRIBLE things about getting off of the meds. Absolutely dreading it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We flew on Delta on Sept. 10th and they also played some weird patriotic music. It was a little strange. Everyone just kinda looked around. It was an international flight too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oy, know how you feel... and I don't have pregnancy to blame! Currently weaning myself off of Paxil and seem to be a veritable faucet lately. Good times, good times.

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!