Sunday, October 9, 2011

It's back... Menu Sunday!

I cannot tell y'all how much I missed our kitchen.

More than my DVR.

More than my Huge Ass Blue Sectional.

More than my waistline.

More than my Sun Friends.

Home is where the heart is, yes... but it's also where my Le Creuset is.

{Lighterish} Spicy Turkey & Cherry Tomato Quiche
adapted from my own Spicy Turkey & Hatch Quiche 
It is good to be home
Wednesday's Chicken Tetrazzini was on the official menu for tonight but then I had a brain fart and went to the non-Super Target where they do not offer rotisserie chicken.  So I set my sights on my newly replenished Hatch stash {lovingly stored at, and recently transported from, the Residence Inn... they've been laying in wait for some action!}... only to remember I hadn't defrosted a container as of yet.  Improv Moment:  Buh-bye Hatches / Hello half a pint of sliced yellow cherry tomatoes. I also left out the chives {as my herb garden died along with my dreams of a flood-free house}, but added a good dash of crushed red pepper.   The end result was delicious - I just love the brightness of those yellow cherry 'maters.  But I prefer the Hatch version.  Shocker.

Tortilla Meatball Soup
adapted from Cooking Light
This soup is pretty amazeballs.  As in, amazemeatballs.  HOWEVER... CAVEAT: It takes freakin' forever to make.  I don't think I've ever made a Cooking Light recipe that took so long.  I had to stop for a snack halfway through.  
So... Moral:  Weekend Soup.  Not Tuesday Soup.  Now!  Changes: Didn't use tortillas. One might think that defeats the purpose given the name of the soup and all but I'm a rebel.  A rebel who forgot tortillas at the market.  Used a good extra dollop of adobo sauce when I made the meatballs. I only used one onion - it was a big ass sucker but not 2 cups worth.  More cheese -- always, more cheese. I stirred it in instead of topping our bowls with it.  
Tortilla Meatball Soup a la @CookingLight
Potential Time Saver: I love balls made from meat as much as the next gal, but those little guys are time-consuming and, let's face it, you just end up cutting them up so you don't look like caveperson eating your soup.  I think browning and crumbling the ground sirloin along with the garlic and chiles in adobo would accomplish the same taste.

Chicken Tetrazzini 
adapted from Martha Stewart
A repeat... Not entirely sure why as it's not that awesome.  Maybe if you're sick and its chilly outside.  It does make a ton and it is rather good reheated as leftovers.  I go with broccoli over the mushrooms and add a big-ass load of crushed red pepper.  

Steak, Asparagus, & Tomato Salad
adapted from Cheeky Kitchen
This is a favorite - there isn't a person on the planet who isn't charmed by this salad.  Always easy... always delicious. This time I added broccolini for mi padre who's not a big fan of asparagus.  I also axed the cheese (I usually go with parmesan or goat cheese).  

7 comments:

  1. So glad menu Sunday is back! I'm following you on Pintrest but I just rather you try the recipes out before me...maybe I'll start cooking again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best steak salad ever. Thanks for a great weekend!! splleecccchhhh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Menu Sundays!!! If I wasn't so kitchen lazy right now I would definitely try some of these delicious looking dishes. I will, however, drive to the grocery store ASAP and pick up some of that pumpkin ice cream:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow these all look delicious. Also is that pumpkin ice cream?? Cold pumpkin flavored stuff kind of freaks me out but I'm intrigued, and this foodie will try anything. Is it good??

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Jenny - It's DELICIOUS! Tastes just like cold pumpkin pie. But! I'm a big fan of cold pumpkin pie for breakfast the day after Thanksgiving so I was already down with the temperature :) Give it a try if you see it at the market - it's hard to find!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! So glad you're back in your house ... and I love the dish in the last picture ... seriously in love!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've made that turkey meatball soup and it is so good. I'm sure it's even better with Pumpkin ice cream for an appetizer.

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!