Sunday, October 23, 2011

Menu Sunday

Did anyone else sing that song in Brownies that's all "make new friends, but keep the ooooold; one is silver and the other's goooooold!"

Anyone?

Bueller?

Well, I've got two silvers and two golds for you this week. 

Yep, yep, yep.  That was lame.

Chicken Tamale Casserole
adapted from Cooking Light
Chicken Tamale Casserole
This casserole is a good time.  If you're interested in a cleaner version {buh-bye, aluminum cans!}, you can read my adaptations on The Culinary Couple!  

Roasted Corn Chowder with Carrots & Chiles
adapted from the Pioneer Woman
Roasted Corn Chowder with Carrots & Chiles
... and Hatch Chile Cheese Cornbread
Chile Cheddar Cornbread
I have to pretend I've never read anything by Michael Pollan to enjoy this recipe, but... Let's just say, ignorance is sweet, sweet bliss sometimes.  Corn doesn't have to be the devil when butter, bacon, and heavy whipping cream are involved. Here are my adaptations {makes 4-6 servings}:

Ingredients:
- 4 ears of corn, shucked and brushed with EVOO
- 2 slices of center cut bacon, chopped 
- 1 sweet yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 T butter
- 2 whole chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely diced, include the seeds
- 4 roasted Hatch chiles {Anaheim or poblano will work too}, finely diced, seeds discarded 
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 c. low sodium chicken broth
- 1 c. heavy whipping cream
- Kosher salt to taste
- 3 T. corn meal 

Cooking Instructions are the same, except I roast my corn under the broiler before slicing them from the cob.  Add carrots with chiles.  And allow chowder to simmer for 30 minutes or so at the end for a thicker soup.  Serve with Chile Cheddar Cornbread.  

Easy Chicken Schnitzel with Wild Rice & Roasted Broccoli
schnitzel courtesy of Cooking Light
An EZPZ weeknight pick.  I like to cook the chicken on a cooling rack for extra crispiness!

Crockpot Lasagna
courtesy of Tablespoon
Crockpot Lasagna
I'm taking a prenatal yoga class on Thursdays that lasts until 8:45 pm.  Kind of a bummer of a time, but I love the class, so what can ya do.  And, because I don't get home until 9sih, I've decided Thursdays shall henceforth be known as Crockpot Night.  I spied this recipe on Pinterest and thought I'd give it a go. 
Pros: (1) Kitchen smelled amazing when I came home; (2) looked decent for something that came out of a crockpot, (3) tasted good initially, (4) tasted better reheated for leftovers, and (5) E - hater of lasagna - loved it.  Cons: (a) lack of texture; (b) meat seemed a bit dry, and (c) pretty much just as time consuming on the prep work as regular lasagna, save for not having to boil the pasta.  Potential Fixes for Next Time: The cook-time on the recipe is 4-5 hours... I did 5 this time... I'll try 4 next time in an attempt to combat mushiness.  I might try whole wheat lasagna noodles as well, since they tend to have a bit more of a bite to them.  Meat with a higher fat content {I used 96% lean} would likely help with the dryness. 

Brown Sugar Glazed Pumpkin Coffeecake
courtesy of Tasty Kitchen
There is about to be caramel glazed pumpkin coffee cake in my life
So.
Caramel Pumpkin Coffeecake
Freakin'.
Deeeeee-lish!
Delicious.

We've been sneaking bites all weekend... This is the stuff of Fall Sweet Tooth Dreams!  Perfectly crumbly and crunchy and sticky.  And for a dessert that has 3 components, it really is a breeze.  

6 comments:

  1. I've never had a ton of luck with crockpot lasagna either. Mine always comes out one big ball of mush and I really like the crispy parts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sang that song in Brownies too - at the end of each meeting, "a circle is round, it has no end...that's how long I want to be your friend".

    that tamale casserole recipe looks wonderful, thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have made the Chicken Tamale Casserole a bazillion times and LOVE it!!! I always shred up a rotteserie chicken which makes it super fast to whip up...and the recipe comes from Cooking Light so I feel less guilty even though I always add extra cheese and a dollop of sour cream:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Brownie in me loves this post. The foodie in me loves these recipes! Need to your enchilada casserole soon, I've been thinking about it since you shared on Emily & Nick's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made the Chicken Tamale Casserole last week and it was a huge hit! Next time, I'll have to try your modifications.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a distinct memory from when I was about 10. I was singing that song (having already dropped out of the GS) and was convinced I had made it up. I was sure I was a composing genius. Alas.

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!