Sunday, October 30, 2011

Menu Sunday

Whoopsie Daisy.  Blogger posted this week's menu before I was quite ready!

Cajun Chicken Pasta
Pretty peppers
I had such high hopes for this one, and, while the end result was acceptable-ish, the "journey" there was annoying as all get-out.  This sauce does not thicken as the recipe says it should... a phenomenon I've witnessed with practically all of PW's cream sauces {and a gripe that is shared amongst many of my Twitter buds, I quickly found}.  I'm not sure what that woman has against a good roux, but damn if she ever starts a cream sauce out with one.  I always end up making a cornstarch slurry or four to thicken things up... or simmering for an hour or more.  Major Mistake This Go 'Round: Not trusting my gut and going rouge with a roux / not simmering or slurrying prior to stirring in the noodles, veggies and chicken.  When it became apparent that the sauce wasn't going to stick to the pasta, I had to drain the whole shebang and attempt to simmer and slurry the sauce down.  Cue cursing and fervent wishing that an entire bottle of Sauv Blanc wouldn't cause Quesita to blow a 0.09 in the womb.  WTF, Ree?  Between your Cream Sauce/Base Disasters and your refusal to promote any simblance of sustainable, whole cooking {YOU LIVE ON A CATTLE RANCH, ARE YOU KIDDING ME?}, I fear we're through for good.  

Asparagus & Heirloom Quiche
base from my Lighter Quiche recipe
Asparagus & Tomato Quiche
Captain Obvious Statement: I make some version of this lighter quiche a lot.  It's so easy, and it's a great way to pack in some protein and dairy without wrestling a bunch of meat / heavy calories.  In theory, this variation should have been awesome... simply roasted asparagus layered over slices of the last heirloom tomatoes of the season?  Sign me up!  Unfortunately, I didn't really take into consideration how the juiciness of the heirlooms would affect the end result... -->  Watery-Ass Quiche.  Tasted great, but the consistency was all mushy.  Sad panda.  

Pot Roast w/ Purple New Potatoes & Carrots
Pot Roast w/ Purple Potatoes & Carrots
Crockpot Pot Roast is Minimal Effort / Maximum Results at it's best.  Trimmed Chuck Roast, rubbed with EVOO & seasoning salt, tossed in the slow cooker with potatoes, carrots, sliced onions and  1/2 c. stock = Legit Comfort Food, 8 hours later (cook on low).

Mixer Made Soft Pretzels
modified from Food Mayhem
Happiness #withmustard
These guys are a favorite in our casa.  On Saturday, after prepping my yeast, I realized I was low on all-purpose flour... so I went with mostly whole wheat {1.5 c all-purpose + 3 c. whole wheat}.  I did have to add a smidge more oil to the dough as it was mixing and about 1/4 c of water, but the pretzels turned out great.  I think we might prefer these slightly nuttier suckers to the regular variety! 

5 comments:

  1. this quiche looks sooo good!

    Lilly
    pancakesandbeetjuice.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. PRETZELS! I want some right about now. I might have to get busy today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, I have to admit when I first read the post and it just said "XXXX" at the top, I thought maybe you were just making a joke or reference that was way over my head :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am with you on PW sauces. Mayhap her cows give off magic thickening cream? I have had luck with her chicken and dumplings recipe though so my comfort food cravings can be satisfied.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just chiming in to say that I love Menu Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!