Saturday, November 12, 2011

24 weeks

diptic

Marination Time: 24 weeks last Tuesday.

Weight Gain:  11 lbs. 

Maternity Clothes:  Three cheers for the Brits... ye friends across the pond who don't relegate pregnant women to drab black, gray, and camel!  I auditioned a baby shower option {above} by Isabella Oliver {conclusion: great, but requires a cami}, and another selection from ASOS is zipping its way to me over the Atlantic.  Another fab maternity discovery:  Fold-Over Briefs from Motherhood Maternity.  Yes ma'am, I am talking underpants up in here.  These are comfy, comfy, comfy!

Fruit of the Week: I am so effing sick of papayas.  Marsha, Marsha, Marsha... PAPAYA, PAPAYA, PAPAYA.  Our little papaya is currently weighing in at 1 lb, 10 oz... perfectly on track, which is really comforting news in light of Wednesday's findings

Movement: I saw the movement for the first time this week... incredibly amazing, once you wipe that scene from Alien from your mind {you know the one}. 

Cravings: Sick of hearing about mustard yet?  Not me!  And I discovered a delightful new seasonal treat: Bluebell Christmas Cookie Icecream.  Yummm.  I also cannot stop thinking about the orecchiette carbonara I made on Tuesday {recipe manana}... it might just have to pop up again on next week's menu!  

Annoyances: My feet are fine but my calves are swollen, and I cannot pull my very favorite brown boots all the way up... which is really not helping diversify my ever-shrinking winter wardrobe.

Anti-Highlight of the Week:  The discovery of my janked up umbilical cord / placenta and partially separated membranes.  And my subsequent meltdown(s).  I've since had a very frank conversation with my regular OB and have peace of mind about a lot of my more dramatic worries.  I'm sure I'll write more about this, but the real concern is growth restriction in the third trimester, which wasn't made entirely clear to us initially.  I've since been told, pretty emphatically, that I won't be waking up on Feb 28 pregnant.  And I can kiss that intervention-free birth plan good-bye.  I won't lie and say my inner-hippie isn't upset by that portion of this development, but it's really small potatoes.  All we care about now is chunking up this quesita!  {more carbonara?}

Highlights of the Week:  I can honestly say all of your thoughtful tweets, emails, comments, and phone calls were the shining star of this week.  Your good vibes and positive thoughts are palpable. Thank you, thank you, thank you. 

20 comments:

  1. Hi Kate! You look gorgeous. It is so inspiring to see a woman who is working for a healthy pregnancy but is not afraid to use western medicine to make sure her child is 100% taken care of. I love following your journey and can't wait to see the papaya!

    Lilly
    pancakesandbeetjuice.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look amazing in that dress!! Sending lots of happy thoughts your way for you and your little quesita!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look so pretty!!! You inspired me to get a Lilac top, so I may have to "copy" you on the dress too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look so good! I love your dress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look gorgeous hun!! And I totally loved those underpants. LOVED. :)

    I need to find some of this Christmas cookie ice cream! It sounds amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That dress is so cute! You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE that dress, you look amazing in it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. More anecdotal stories. I ate so much protein during both my pregnancies, being a terrible worrywort and all, that I almost ran out of the will to chew. That said, I felt then and felt now, on instinct, that it really helped my babies develop. I would drink whey protein in milk, now, were I pregnant again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all, that dress is AMAZING! And you rock it so well.

    Second of all, I didn't comment the other day because I wasn't sure what to say. That is a lot to worry about but it sounds like you have some amazing doctors to monitor you. I was told my daughter was going to come early due to previous health problems with my uterus. I planned in my head that she would be here by week 36 or earlier. At 30 weeks, she decided she wanted to come. My lady parts were opening from the inside out. I was put on bed rest and then minimal activity up onto 37 weeks. I worried. I had little faith, and I doubted.

    Lots of prayers and gaining weight later, we passed 36 weeks, and 40 weeks, and 41.5 weeks and she decided not to come with my natural birth plan. I had to use PIT to get dilated the last 3 cm after 5 days of labor.

    It wasn't how I planned it, but God knew her birthday. I will be praying that the doctors take care of your little baby girl and she will come when the time is right. There is always a little mourning with how we wanted our birth story to go, but in the end, if the baby is healthy and alive it is the best birth story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you look SO pretty! You are glowing!! sweet baby girl looks great as well :)

    I also didn't comment after I read your post the other day, but I have been there. Both times, it was hard for a long time. Actually, it was hard until Knox & Sloane were born...to still believe they were coming and would come home with us. Just keep the faith. I think things like this just remind us what special blessings these earthly angels are :) Lots of prayers for you guys will continue!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You really do look stunning! I know your appreciation of a good plan that's been scripted by yours truly is a powerful thing... but your positive attitude is an even more powerful thing. Quesita is going to be the luckiest girl ever.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You rock that dress! Happy thoughts to you and Quesita. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. omg that is the CUTEST BELLY I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look awesome! Blessings to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That has to be one of the most flattering maternity dresses I've seen! So pretty!
    You have such a great attitude about your change in birth plan. In my experience, being flexible to changes meant much less stress for me- because my delivery was about as opposite as I would have wanted. But healthy babies trumped everything else :) Continued positive thoughts to you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am only a few days behind you and it seems it is time to embrace the maternity underwear, so thanks for the tip! I, too, am lamenting the lack of color in maternity clothes. One must ask-why? I have been adding lots of colorful, chunky jewelry to try and balance all of the neutrals. Also, GAP Maternity is my friend!

    I LOVE that blue dress, by the way! I think it would make a great shower dress!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So everyone else is saying it but seriously? You are a knock-out pregnant momma, your skin is amazing! Been following your blog for a while and love your updates.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You look lovely!! That blue just makes you shine :)

    I am behind in my blog reading and I just saw the post about your appointment last week. I am thinking about you and little Quesita! Finding the faith in times like that isn't easy. I'm praying for y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodness, look at that bump! I love it! You look fantastic and that blue is a great color for you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. 1) OMFG you look AMAZING PREGNANT! Glowy, perfect skin, perfect bump, GORGEOUS dress... I want to be you right now.

    2) I missed the anti-highlight. And dear LORD that is scary! However, agreed about the lawyer in you telling you to trust the dr's. (Plus, you know how to sue the bejesus out of them should they lead you astray)

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!