Sunday, December 18, 2011

Menu Sunday


Lasagna "Soup"
Lasagna "Soup"...Not so soupy
A mighty fine Pinterest find, although it wasn't super soupy... perhaps "Lasagna Stew" or "Lasagna Goulash" would be a better moniker. Modifications: I halved the recipe but added an extra cup of chicken broth and a handful more of noodles. I topped our bowls with shredded mozzarella and a little bit of parmesan... I left the ricotta out. Oh! And I didn't add the oil to cook the sausage - it will brown just fine on its own if you keep the heat on medium and don't get antsy with it. E raved about this dish.

Turkey, Broccoli & Spinach Quiche
Turkey Quiche w/ Spinach & Broccoli
Not to be a self-horn-tooter, but I sure am glad I randomly got lucky one day painstakingly took the time to perfect a light quiche recipe... Once you have the base down, you can throw almost anything into the mix and have a delightful meal in no time {well, more like "with very little prep time"... cook time is 50 minutes}. Original Recipe Here, but my base is essentially 3 eggs + 2 egg whites + personal container of nonfat Greek yogurt + 1 c. cheese. Add seasoning, meat and veggies to match your egg-eatin' heart's desire. This guy boasts 1/2 lb. ground turkey breast, browned, then sauteed with 2 handfuls of fresh spinach, and chopped crowns from one head of broccoli. Red pepper flakes, cracked pepper, and kosher salt are givens. I did try a new crust this week - it was a gluten and flour free Gillian's frozen crust. Not a fan. I'll stick with Wholly Wholesome from hereon out.

Baked Potato Soup
courtesy of Cooking Light
Cooking Light's Baked Potato Soup
This soup definitely didn't feel "light," but I suppose its all relative when you're talking baked potato soup. If you're a lover of loaded potato soup, you'll likely love this recipe... it verged a little too much on the EWWW CREAM SAUCE side of things for me, but I still enjoyed it freshly prepared. Heated up as leftovers... not so much. Modifications: In normal me fashion, I halved the recipe {4 servings instead of 8}. I used a mix of red potatoes, purple potatoes, and fingerlings, and I boiled those suckers until tender instead of spending an hour baking them. I did not use reduced fat cheese. Such a thing is ridiculous and should not exist. I added chopped crowns from one head of broccoli for a little veggie action {stirred in with the onions and sour cream}.

Steak Salad with Roasted Veggies
modified from Cheeky Kitchen
Steak & Roasted Veggie Salad
How many times have I made this salad? It simply can't be topped! It's thle easiest thing in the world to throw together, and we always end up practically licking our bowls once supper is over. This go-round, I took Rachel's advice and threw in some halved brussels sprouts... yum!

6 comments:

  1. I tried the lasagna soup one time and yours looks wayyyy better than mine. Ours was like a weird mix of soupy tomato sauce and undone noodles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post... I love your recipe reviews. So helpful! And delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lurker coming out of the closet! LOL

    Love your blog and the recipes make the rounds of my family of cooks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog, and especially Menu Sunday. I've taken several recipes and ideas from your site so thanks.

    Also, you probably don't care, but I feel the need to tell you that your pumpkin rosemary shells have totally CHANGED. MY. WORLD.

    I made them several weeks ago and ended up freezing a couple smaller portions for those nights when I didn't feel like cooking. I think they're even better cooked from frozen and I'm oficially obsessed. So, thanks for all the recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm making the lasagna soup as my BF's welcome home meal! It looks awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just thought you should know that I have made quiche twice, using your formula for the perfect quiche...and what do you know...it's the best quiche I've ever had. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!