Tuesday, December 6, 2011

ramblings, vol. who knows

New York Recap tomorrow.  

Tonight, this is about all the ol' noodle has in it...

(1) I'm not a huge fan of those "Expectant Mothers" parking spots.  Wouldn't it be more appropriate to reserve those for "Parents with Small Children?" I mean, I can still walk just fine, thankyouverymuch, and I tend to think those brave souls toting a bundle of extra gear and wrangling a toddler or three are much more deserving of prime parking than me and my "delicate condition." 

(2) That stuff I just wrote up there?  Does not apply when it's below 40 degrees outside.  After all, my High Horse won't haul my teeth-chattering bum from the back of the Whole Foods parking lot to the warm glow of the entrance, now will it?

(3) Tonight, I lovingly wrapped our outdoor pipes with duct tape, dish towels, and recycled Target shopping bags.  And by lovingly, I mean "hopping up and down in weather-inappropriate ballet flats, gripping a flashlight in between my teeth, and cursing my unpreparedness."  If you'll recall, I lovingly wrapped the pipes last year, only to come home from Las Vegas to find a geyser spewing from our back faucet.  Fingers crossed that my love goes a bit farther this go-round, because I don't think we can take any more Fun with Water Being in Places It Shouldn't. 

(4) E watched Black Swan for the first time the other weekend... His single take-away?  OUR DAUGHTER WILL NOT DANCE BALLET... {ENUNCIATED IN ALL-CAPS}. With dance in my background, I had to laugh... and agree for the most part.  She can do whatever she wants to do, of course, but I secretly hope she plays soccer. I  strongly feel girls should have an organized activity where they are encouraged to kick the shit out of something. And, is there anything cuter than a gaggle of small fryettes chasing a ball around, wolf-pack-style?    

(5) We received our first batch of Christmas cards in the mail today, and they made me ridiculously happy!  I did realize, though, that we should probably add a bunch of our professional contacts to our recipient list... but would you send a sliiiightly cheeky card to business folk?  Not cheeky like "off-color"... more like "Oh those Hs! They sure are big nerdals!"  Perhaps I'll have some separate ones printed.  We do have a nice Rockefeller Tree Photo.  Sigh.  First World Holiday Problems. 

(6) Per their request, I sent my holiday wish list to my mom and E's mom about a month ago, but I honestly cannot remember half of the items I mentioned now.  I know there were some fun goodies on there, so I'm pretty pumped to be surprised on Christmas morning! 

(7) I encounter someone on a near-daily basis who now consistently greets me with "awwww where's the baby?!" in a chirpy, sing-song voice.  Well, I decided to cart her around in my handbag today - she likes it there amongst my lipgloss and errant Starbucks napkins.  Thanks for inquiring, asshole. 

(8) We've been singing along with the Book of Mormon soundtrack quite a bit for the last 48 hours.  Sometimes it feels wrong to exclaim "I have maggots in my scrotum!" whilst sauteeing brussels sprouts or folding socks, but can you really argue with 9 Tony Awards?  Nah.

(9) Well that should yield some interesting Google Analytics Search Results. 

(10) Let's end on that high note, shall we.  

14 comments:

  1. I am so glad you posted this tonight. It's supposed to freeze here tonight too and this is only our second year in a house where we have to worry about that. Thanks to you, my pipes are nice and covered now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! Totally! Whenever I go to Babies R Us these days with my 9 month old, I'm like, "HELLO, IDIOTS! NOW is when I could have used those damn parking spots." Pffffft.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Heb by my house has "parents with children" spots which when I was 20 weeks along I didn't care about, but when I was 35 decided included "parents withchild". I get annoyed when some dbag without kids (pregnant excluded of course) parks there and I'm further back. Carseats and diaper bags are friggin heavy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed...those spots should include an "or"...although at some point you learn it's best to be closest to the place where the carts go, so you can put the kids in the car first, rather than putting the cart up and then walking them and the bags to the car. Ahh the fun things you learn in time :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed- soccer girls are the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. To play devil's advocate- those spots were a life saver when I was pregs! I was on complete bed rest and allowed one outing a week. From outward appearances, I looked like a "normal" preg, but I had contractions every time I walked. I'm sure people thought I was just a lazy ass on my motorized scooter at the grocery, but exercise what out of the question for me. That being said- I'd KILL for a close parking spot toting my babes these days! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm hoping my son wants to be a soccer player also. as much as i love football, the thought of watching him repeatedly get his head crunched game after game, year after year is not appealing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YESSSS to the parking spots for parents with little ones. I took Henry to get weighed at the Lactation Consultant's office on Monday and every single damn parking spot close by was taken and we had to park in the parking lot of a cheesy karaoke bar and hike to the office. At least I'll have some awesome arms from lugging his car seat around.

    ReplyDelete
  9. To someone who is neither pregnant nor a mother those parking spots are a tease! I always think I've won the parking spot lottery only to find a "Reserved for Mothers and Mothers to be" sign. Curses! I'm sure I'll appreciate it one day but right now its a parking dream crusher.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As someone who was recently pregnant and now totes a bunch of gear I wholeheartedly agree. Sometimes I take the spot anyhow, it's not like it's a legal sign, right...

    ReplyDelete
  11. i feel like you are constantly putting down on "paper" exactly what is going on in my head/world. ALSO i am a-waiting your nyc recap on pins and needles! we leave next wednesday and i am so excited i can hardly stand it! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I forgot my Christmas list too - I hope I wanted some good stuff 2 months ago!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, to the stork parking! In fact, today I had to run out in the rain with Sam, and I was SO tempted to park in a reserved spot. I would much rather have walked through the rain with a big belly than with a stroller and diaper bag in tow.

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!