Friday, December 2, 2011

white bean & garbanzo chili

I made chili three times this past week.  My mom's traditional lean chili {which I swear I've posted before, but can't seem to find in the mess that is my archives} makes the perfect post-Thanksgiving meal.  We knocked out an entire pot with E's parents on Friday evening and missed the leftovers so much that I whipped up another batch on Monday.  

Come Wednesday, my warm, stew-y mood lingered along with the cooler temperatures in Dallas, but I didn't want a huge soup surplus chilling out in our fridge while we traveled

Cue this little concoction.  Perfect for two peeps but easily doubled / tripled / etc., it was just the ticket for a pre-vacation supper!

White Bean & Garbanzo Chili

Out-of-Towner White Bean & Garbanzo Chili, for 2

Ingredients
  • 2 links {about 1/3 - 1/2 lb} smoked sausage of your choice {I used spicy lean venison sausage}, halved, then thinly sliced 
  • 1 large yellow onion, finely diced 
  • 3 roasted Hatch chiles {or poblanos} - seeds and veins removed, then chopped
  • 1 can cannellini beans {15oz} - drained, rinsed, and partially mashed with a fork
  • 1 can garbanzo beans {15 oz} - drained and rinsed 
  • 1.5 c. chicken broth
  • 2 T. chili powder
  • 1 T. cumin
  • 2 t. Tabasco 
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 c. water, only if needed 
In a stock pot, cook smoked sausage over Medium heat for about 3 minutes.  Add onion.  Cook, stirring often, until translucent.  Stir in chiles and beans, then broth.  Add chili powder, cumin, and Tabasco.  If the soup seems super thick, add up to a half-cup of water.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to Low and simmer for 30 minutes.  Serve with rustic crackers and extra sharp cheddar.  

Serves 2, with a bowl left over for a quick, pre-airport lunch. 

1 comment:

  1. I made something similar to this and really liked it. The garbanzo beans add in good texture.

    ReplyDelete

happy little comments!